Extracurriculars... are they all right, or should i put some

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: Extracurriculars... are they all right, or should i put some
By Stuckat410 (Stuckat410) on Sunday, September 19, 2004 - 08:03 pm: Edit

so far, here is what i put on my university of michigan application...

1. church youth group
6 hrs a week/52 weeks a year
treasurer (9), secretary (12)

2. church praise band electric guitarist, vocalist
4 hrs a week/52 weeks a year
band leader (11)

3. violin lessons (since age 4)
8 hrs a week/48 weeks a year
1st place in two competitions, honorable mention in one competition, featured student performer for an honors recital, and featured student performer for a winner's recital

4. tutor for 2nd graders from japan
2 hrs a week/36 weeks a year
english tutor

5. "the lending tree" mentor program
11, 12
1 hr a week/30 weeks a year
elementary school student's mentor

6. trinity hospital (local hospital) volunteer
summer after 11th grade... which grades should i circle on my application, 11th grade or 12th? because it was a volunteer activity during the summer after my junior year
3 hrs a week/12 weeks a year

7. school theatre behind-the-scenes crew
3 hrs a week/12 weeks a year

8. missionary trip to a city in texas, where we planned and held a vacation bible school for underprivileged kids, and repaired homes for underprivileged families
2 hrs a week/6 weeks a year (planning)
84 hrs a week/1 week a year (1-week trip)
co-coordinator for the trip

does my EC list look okay? if something is somewhat weak, would any of these be able to substitute?

1. i was a co-coordinator for a youth leadership conference...
11th grade
3 hrs a week/6 weeks a year (planning)
10 hrs a week/1 week a year (the conference)

2. soup kitchen volunteer
4 hrs a week/6 weeks a year (9th grade)
4 hrs a week/1 week a year (10th, 11th grades)

I'm not sure if these are that strong either...

Also, there was a question that asked "if you could only do one of the activities abvoe, which one ould you keep doing? why?"

Watching plays and musicals is a hobby of mine, and as a member of the costume and business crew for my school theatre, i am able to not simply watch the productions, but be a part of it. If I were allowed to choose only one activity, it would be being a member of the behind-the-scenes crew of a theatre production. As the crew and I use our imagination to cut and combine pieces of fabric into elaborate costumes for musicals like "Hello, Dolly!" or create great memories painting a bulletin in order to advertise a play like "Barefoot in the Park", we become close friends and create long-lasting bonds with each other. Being able to do things that I truly enjoy with classmates who end up being some of my closest friends is something I would gladly do time and time again.

thank you everyone, thanks for spending the time to read all of this

By Achat (Achat) on Sunday, September 19, 2004 - 08:09 pm: Edit

Your ECs look fine and there is no need to fret about it. Don't worry if it "looks" strong or not, this is not the cosmetics business, is it? Your application looks all right, go ahead and apply ASAP. Good luck.

By Marite (Marite) on Sunday, September 19, 2004 - 08:16 pm: Edit

Your list is actually quite long. You should group your ECs together. For example, you have several that are church-related. Group them together. Emphasize those that are the most important by bringing them to the top.

By Stuckat410 (Stuckat410) on Sunday, September 19, 2004 - 08:18 pm: Edit

it says to rank them in order of the time you spend on the activity, so that's order i put it in is...

and there are 8 spaces, that's why i put 8 different activities.

also, what about my hospital volunteering? i was volunteer after junior year, during the summer.. a summer volunteer. so would i circle 11th grade, or 12th grade?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page