NEED HELP SOON! GWU or UW-Madison

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: NEED HELP SOON! GWU or UW-Madison
By Hoo_29 (Hoo_29) on Sunday, September 19, 2004 - 09:57 am: Edit

I am currently from GA and am considering possible choices for colleges. Right now, I am doing some joint enrollment to save money for when I go to college. I am not poor at all, but my parents are really hesitant to hand over a possible 47K for me to go to college. I visited GW, and really fell in love with it. I was planning on applying ED because my SAT is lower(1190) and GW's average is a 1315. I have been thinking about what I want out of a college, and I really want to be in a college town like Athens, Georgia. I would also really like an urban campus.

I am ranked 19/434 and have taken some really rigourous classes. I want to be an Int. Affairs/relations/studies major.
While being in Athens, I have realized that I want a good balance between academics and partying. I love Athens, and I want to go somewhere where getting drunk on Fridays is common(that kinda sounds bad, but...). I would like to go to UGA, but I have lived there my whole life, and living down the road from my parents is something I do not want to do.
So, I researched UW-Madison, and think I have a good chance because of my rank, and the fact that they favor Out of state students. It is also ranked much higher than GW, and it would be a fun party school with strong academics.
So, I have to decide before Nov. 1(it's online) for GW. If I submit my app this week, how long will it take to get a decision from UW? Getting in will make a huge difference on my ED choice or not.
Ok, sorry to ramble on, but this is really important for me. I thought GW was so perfect, but then I hear some negative stuff and wonder if 47k is worth it. Can anyone please make me feel better about GW? I have heard that it has a bunch of jewish people and gays (not that I have ANYTHING against different cultures, actually I want diversity in a school, I just am afraid I won't have any friends or anyone to party with). Also, what are the frats like?

So how long does rolling take?

By Marite (Marite) on Sunday, September 19, 2004 - 10:31 am: Edit

Wow! I'd never heard that GWU was so full of gays and Jews that it was impossible for a non-gay non-Jew to find somebody to party with.

As for your specific query about ED, it is clearly answered on the GWU website.

By Barrons (Barrons) on Sunday, September 19, 2004 - 11:58 am: Edit

Visit Madison. It will answer your questions.

By Dg5052 (Dg5052) on Sunday, September 19, 2004 - 01:14 pm: Edit

"I have heard that it has a bunch of jewish people and gays (not that I have ANYTHING against different cultures, actually I want diversity in a school"

Hoo, you need to watch how you state things. This is not a post that reflects any interest at ALL in diversity or reflects any balanced cultural view on your part. Maybe GW is not for you.

By Hoo_29 (Hoo_29) on Sunday, September 19, 2004 - 02:28 pm: Edit

Wow, do I really have to be PC about EVERYTHING on these boards? Can anyone tell me how long Rolling admissions takes at UW? How long did it take for people last year?

As for my comments, read students review. They said that. I don't really agree with it, but I am just worried. O yeah, and GW is definetely for me! I am definetely culturally balanced and am not racist at all...my best friend is Jewish. But I just don't want to be thrown into a cliquish school where I am miserable. And I think that for me, rooming with a gay person would be OK, I just don't want to be the only hetero person there.

By Marite (Marite) on Sunday, September 19, 2004 - 02:41 pm: Edit

You don't have to be PC about everything or indeed anything. But it would be helpful to show a little commonsense.

How likely do you think that in an undergraduate body of 8,800 you would be the only hetero person there? Learn to take student reviews with a very large dose of salt.

By Idiias (Idiias) on Sunday, September 19, 2004 - 02:44 pm: Edit

HAHAHAHA

I've been at GW for three weeks and I must admit I can't believe how many gays are here. In my high school there were like 2 out of 2000 people.

and as for jews, EVERY SINGLE one of my professors made a comment about those who will be missing school on thursday in observance of the jewish new year. I def. wasn't use to that either, so I guess you do have point. lol I'm not against any of it either, but I see what he means.

The international affairs school is really good. Don't be afraid you won't have anyone to party with. There are all kinds of people here, and I've had no problem making friends. It's really diverse here. Overall, I really like it. IM me if you have any questions.

By Hoo_29 (Hoo_29) on Sunday, September 19, 2004 - 02:52 pm: Edit

Sure, that's cool that you understand what I mean. I mean, it sounds so closed minded, but it is true. Idiias, thanks for talking to me about GW. I don't know anyone there, and I feel like I am only getting half the picture of GW. I'll probably email you as time goes along to ask questions.Thanks. Also, what are frats like? I am not obsessed with being greek, I just want to meet people like myself because I know no one there.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Sunday, September 19, 2004 - 02:57 pm: Edit

Before making your ED decision, I strongly suggest that you visit UW and also think long and hard about whether after growing up in Georgia, you'd like to spend most of the school year in a very cold climate.

By Hoo_29 (Hoo_29) on Sunday, September 19, 2004 - 03:00 pm: Edit

How cold could it be? I mean, it can be 28 degrees some winters here. I think snow would be fun.

By Midwesterner (Midwesterner) on Sunday, September 19, 2004 - 03:26 pm: Edit

How cold can Wisconsin be?

It can be colder than 28 degrees for a month or more. It can be below zero for days. It takes some getting used to, and some people never do get used to it. The other bad thing about the weather is that, compared to Georgia, Spring is very late. It usually snows in April. Definitely plan on visiting during the cold months.

Regarding parties, Madison is a big drinking town. I know several kids who have lefty the school because they couldn't find a balance between partying and studying. But this is a problem no matter where you go.

BTW, your scores are low for out-of-state admission to Madison, but your geographic diversity may help.

By Calmdownmom (Calmdownmom) on Sunday, September 19, 2004 - 03:28 pm: Edit

Hoo, 28 degrees is a WARM day in the winter. 28 degrees, and you'll see people with no coats on.

Apply right now, online. It will probably take 4-5 weeks. Then visit in January so you know what you are getting into.

Snow IS fun.

By Noshiksagoddess (Noshiksagoddess) on Sunday, September 19, 2004 - 08:50 pm: Edit

I'm at GW right now and can tell you that I haven't met ANYONE gay. I'm bisexual and apparently there are LGBT groups on campus but they're certainly not very loud...I feel lonely.

By Hoo_29 (Hoo_29) on Sunday, September 19, 2004 - 09:19 pm: Edit

I'm sorry. I don't want it to be closed minded either. Maybe you just aren't looking hard enough???? Or you should transfer. I just read your post about how miserable you are, and I am so sorry to hear that. I hope that things get better. At least it is strong academically.

Can anyone tell me the best housing for a freshman and what the frats are like? God, I think this post is making me feel like more and more of an idiot. I am so glad it is anonymous. I think I have always just blurted stuff out and not really thought about if it is offensive or not, because I am not anti-anyone or culture. If only you guys knew me in person...O well

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page