Transfer situation

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: Transfer situation
By Noshiksagoddess (Noshiksagoddess) on Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 10:28 pm: Edit

I'm baaaaack.

OK, so I decided in the end between two universities...the one that had everything I wanted but cost 40,000, and the one that was ok but gave me 20,000 in grant aid. I followed the money, since my family's EFC is actually higher than our after-taxes income, and my brother has to go to college too.

I'm not happy. There's a homophobic down the hall who keeps telling me that bi- or homo- sexuality is a genetic defect and making really scary sexual comments---but since he's not an employer or teacher, he can't be busted under tht student rights and responsibilities...thing.

And nobody here is really...studious...and even though I live in the nation's capital, the level of political discourse is almost always "You're wrong/No, you're wrong." The only intelligent political discussion I heard was between a couple of classic majors on the bus.

SO, anyway, I'm wanting to transfer next fall or winter (it's on quarters) to the other school, the one I loved. So this year, what should I do to maximize my chances of getting accepted again? I'm a theater person, so I'm music directing a play and getting involved with the college democrats and my residential arts community...which feels so white bread. What can I do to stand out?

I just got worried because selectivity ratings are jumping so much each year...last year I was, I guess, a semi-desired applicant---I got a likely letter, they called me a couple times---but this year I could be totally screwed, especially if I get good grades in college but don't do as much as I did in high school. I was teaching and running a theater company my senior year, and this year...feels less impressive.

So...this was long and convoluted. Sorry.

By Marite (Marite) on Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 11:18 pm: Edit

A couple of comments:

On the sexual harassment issue, the student CAN be busted. Please talk to someone in the administration about this. You should not have to put up with this.

About transferring: the most important thing is of course getting good grades in your current courses. Make sure that if you do transfer, you will be able to get financial aid. Financial aid packages may be different for transfer students from those offered to incoming freshmen. Check with the financial aid office. Good luck.

By Achat (Achat) on Sunday, September 19, 2004 - 09:38 am: Edit

I've heard that in order to transfer to a very selective college, a 3.6 or higher GPA is needed and how you did in your classes is what is most important. Don't know specifically for Theatre majors..are you a theatre major or just do that on the side?

You can look in archives of the 'College Admissions' forum from late May/ June for information on transfers.

By Achat (Achat) on Sunday, September 19, 2004 - 12:13 pm: Edit

Here are a few discussions from the archive of College Admissions forum:
http://www.collegeconfidential.com/discus/messages/5/60352.html

http://www.collegeconfidential.com/discus/messages/5/80392.html

http://www.collegeconfidential.com/discus/messages/5/64572.html

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page