Application procedure

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: Application procedure
By Kinshasa (Kinshasa) on Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 04:24 am: Edit

OK, this may sound dumb... what exactly happens in an admissions office as all the various pieces of S's application arrive?

Let's say a teacher recommendation arrives before the transcript---- or vice versa. I presume there's a system whereby the admissions office realizes that this is for a brand new applicant and creates a file. My gut feeling is that most kids send transcripts, recs and scores before the actual application w/essay. That might be sent online just before deadline.

Any former adcoms out there who can enlighten me?

By Interesteddad (Interesteddad) on Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 12:05 pm: Edit

Typically, the first piece of the application that arrives triggers the creation of a file folder. Then, each subsequent piece of the application that arrives is (theoretically) placed in that folder. Presumably, there is a checklist in each folder for the key bits: application, payment fee, recommendations, transcript, score reports, etc.

A fantastic piece of advice from a parent here is to make sure that EVERY piece of correspondence with the school have the following information prominently displayed:

Joe College
Applicant for Class of 200X
Social Security #:

This information helps in the filing process.

I know that this system typically works. For example, my daughter had score reports and transcripts sent to several colleges where she never sent an actual application (accepted early decision elsewhere). At least one of these colleges followed up with a letter in January asking if she still intended to file a completed application.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page