Travel Whoopsie

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: Travel Whoopsie
By Latetoschool (Latetoschool) on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 11:53 pm: Edit

She's the athetic conference representative for the school, and so she has to attend the annual conference, which means getting on a plane and flying to another city for the weekend. The athletic department takes care of everything in cooperation with the conference execs.

So she got up at 3:30 this morning, left for the airport at 5:30 a.m., arrived at 6:00 a.m. and tried to check in for her flight. Imagine her surprise when the ticket agent said "your reservations have been cancelled". She asked why, thinking it was weather-relayed, and was astonished when the ticket agent told her the reservation was cancelled for non-payment! Shocked, she tried to call her coaches, but they were already at practice and out of cell phone range (practice starts at 6:00 a.m.). And, there was no one at work yet in the University's administrative offices. In short, it would be two hours minimum before she would be able to reach anyone by phone.

So, she reasoned there were two choices - (1) don't go to the conference, or (2) buy her own plane ticket. She went with the plane ticket, and put $800 on her personal credit card for airfare.

Got to her connection city and the connecting flight was cancelled, so she put another $200 on for another flight on another airline, because the alternative would be to miss the entire day's events, and the school would not have representation.

I didn't get a call until her decisions were executed - and when she drilled down to the explanation, what must have been many cell phone calls later, evidently what happened is that the University made a flight reservation for her, and the athletic conference organizers found flights on another airline that were maybe $50 less expensive, so they sent email to the University saying "book this flight instead", which the University promptly did, and cancelled the original reservation. But - no one told my daughter OR her coaches - no email, no call, etc. So she has a ticket paid for on yet a third airline, and THAT ticket is non-refundable lol. I'm guessing altogether $1,400 has been paid out for a flight that should be about $250 or so, assuming 14 days advance.

I agree completely with her decisions, but, if anyone has a student that may travel on behalf of their school, especially if they're traveling alone and separate from their team, it probably makes sense for students to personally call airlines/hotels to confirm their itineraries in advance, just in case a ball drops somewhere.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page