This is devastating: another tragic death

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: This is devastating: another tragic death
By Xdad (Xdad) on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 08:23 pm: Edit

We tend to read a lot about tragic teenagers' incidents. Sometimes, we may even know the young persons victimized by their youthful exuberance and incredible naivety. There are other times, however, when getting bad news simply rips your heart out, because the victims were very close. Since this is the second death in Colorado in the past two weeks, you can expect to read more about this latest tragic incident. We got the news a few hours ago, and despite being a grown man, I have not been able to hold my tears. I have known the young man who just died since he was a toddler, and my son and he could not have been any closer. Up to a few weeks ago, they tried everything under the sun to be roommates in school. Despite his giant size, it would have been very hard to find a kinder, better mannered, athletically gifted, and more intelligent and charismatic young man.

The walls of my office are filled with pictures of my kids and their friends, mostly playing sport. It is so hard not to stare at the person who is no longer with us. I cannot imagine how the parents will be able to cope with such a tragedy. I only hope that the pain our family feels could, in a way, alleviate theirs.

Quote:

Statement On CU-Boulder Student Death By Chancellor Richard L. Byyny
Sept. 17, 2004

Today I learned of the tragic death of a freshman CU-Boulder student that occurred at an off-campus fraternity. Our hearts go out to the young man's family and friends and I share their grief and sadness.

The investigation into this tragedy is being conducted by the City of Boulder Police Department with assistance from the University of Colorado Police Department. It is premature for me to comment on the progress of the investigation. As we learn more from the police investigation, we will take decisive action as appropriate.

Our first priority is to provide support for the family and students affected by this sad event. Grief counseling services are being set up for any members of the University community who need help to deal with their feelings of grief and shock.

At this point, we do not know the circumstances surrounding this incident. In light of recent events in Colorado and around the nation, we are, of course, concerned about any possibility of the involvement of alcohol in this tragedy. This year, we undertook new initiatives to educate our students about the misuse of alcohol and the consequences for violations of alcohol policies. Again, we do not know whether alcohol played a role at this point.

At CU-Boulder, fraternities and sororities are chartered independently by their national organizations and exist in houses owned and operated by their national organization. They are governed by independent boards - the Interfraternity Council and Panhellenic Council - that establish rules and regulations for their organizations. We have about 2,500 students who are members of the Greek system, which includes 17 fraternities and 10 sororities.

It is my understanding that the national organization for the Chi Psi fraternity already has suspended the local chapter, pending the outcome of the police investigation.

This tragedy has deep impacts on all parts of the community. This loss of life -- especially for someone so young -- pains me deeply. I can only imagine the feelings of the parents of this young man; I wish to extend my deepest condolences to them.

By Marite (Marite) on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 08:58 pm: Edit

Xdad:

I am so very very sorry to hear of another death of someone that Xiggi and his sister knew personally. Xiggi must be devastated since the young man was such a close friend. Please let Xiggi know that he has my sympathy. I cannot bear to think of the pain the family of the young man must feel.

By Momsdream (Momsdream) on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 09:07 pm: Edit

Oh my Xdad.

I can't imagine how you must feel. I've offerd a prayer. Thisis very sad.

Althoug hte circumstances are unknown, weren't we just discussing hazing this morning?

By Patient (Patient) on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 09:30 pm: Edit

Xdad, I am so very sorry and hope that all of you will be okay. This happened to a young graduate of our local high school a few years ago and I still think about it all the time.
It is one of the things I worry about the most with young, innocent kids.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 09:37 pm: Edit

Xdad and Xiggi,
I am so very sorry to hear about the death of your friend. My thoughts are with you.

By Aparent4 (Aparent4) on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 10:07 pm: Edit

Xdad, what could be more human than tears at a time like this. My prayers are with you and yours and with the family.

By Bookiemom (Bookiemom) on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 10:38 pm: Edit

I offer my sympathy, Xdad, to both you and Xiggi. I have been so impressed with Xiggi's posts on CC; he is clearly an amazing young man, and I am sure his friend must have been as well.

My D is in college in Colorado, and she told me about the death of the young woman at Colorado State in Ft. Collins two weeks ago. This death has been determined to have been caused by alcohol poisoning.

By Achat (Achat) on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 11:19 pm: Edit

Very sorry to hear that and my sympathies to the family as well as to you and Xiggi.

By Mstee (Mstee) on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 11:27 pm: Edit

Sorry to hear of the loss of such a dear friend. My prayers are with your family and the family of the young man. Very sad.

By Lamom (Lamom) on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 11:46 pm: Edit

Sorry. Your family has had to deal with too much loss and worry. Prayers.

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 11:59 pm: Edit

This is so utterly tragic, I can't think of words to give it justice. My heart goes out to this young man's family and to all of his friends, including your family. I know I cried earlier this year when I read of your daughter's friend's suicide and this latest teen's death, without even knowing the actual circumstances, is also extremely heartbreaking. Your whole community must be reeling. I can't imagine how his parents are coping to have first "lost" the child to college, a time filled with hope and new beginnings, yet a break away from the family, only to be hit with this terrible loss.

I am very sorry and will be thinking of you all. Give our best to Xiggi. He is truly a great kid.

Susan

By Concerneddad (Concerneddad) on Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 12:04 am: Edit

Our sympathies as well to you and Xiggi

By Alongfortheride (Alongfortheride) on Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 02:00 am: Edit

Words are so inadequate. My thoughts and prayers are with this young man's family and with your family as well. Sometimes tears say it best, so Xdad, let them flow.

By Xdad (Xdad) on Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 02:06 am: Edit

Thank you for all the nice words. Our family has spent the evening looking at old pictures and mementos, with the occasional interruption for phone calls from friends and family. This kid was truly exceptional and touched so many lives in positive ways. We know that people will fly in from all over the country to accompany him to his resting place. Nothing will make their son come back, but we hope that the flood of support will help the family go through this ordeal.

I thank everyone of you for your prayers and support. Please make sure to hug or talk to your children this weekend.

By Poetsheart (Poetsheart) on Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 02:21 am: Edit

It always seems so senseless, doesn't it? I can only imagine the depth of your sorrow, and that of Ziggi, and the parents of that poor young man. I offer my condolences, and prayers that your pain may be turned to joy as you remember all the wonderful times you shared with this exceptional child, and that the sting of death may be dulled by time.

By Kissy (Kissy) on Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 10:47 am: Edit

Xdad- my heartfelt sympathies to your family and
the young man's loved ones. You're all in my thoughts and prayers.

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 12:21 pm: Edit

My sympathies as well. Send a hug to Xiggi and the young man's family.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page