Universities with Full Ride Scholarships for NMS Finalists

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: Universities with Full Ride Scholarships for NMS Finalists
By Strick (Strick) on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 11:22 am: Edit

This is a perennial topic, but I can't locate the answer I was looking for in the archives.

What schools offer full scholarships for National Merit Scholarship Finalists?

I know of the University of Oklahoma, Baylor University, and the University of Houston. The University of Texas offers slightly less than 1/2 tuition.

Anyone know any other schools or could point to thread that lists them?

By Achat (Achat) on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 11:31 am: Edit

I don't know about full rides, but NYU and WUSTL to name a few. Your GPA should be high too not just SAT scores.

By Achat (Achat) on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 11:33 am: Edit

Tulane, again don't know about full ride.

By Outwest5 (Outwest5) on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 11:40 am: Edit

University of Arizona offers full scholarships inc. room and board, too. At least, all the NMSF at our local high school received letters from them even when they did not apply to the school. We are in CA and I am not sure if that translates across the country, but it is worth checking out.

By Kluge (Kluge) on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 11:47 am: Edit

Somebody posted a list, which I copied, which included the following as offering full tuition room and board to NMS Finalists:

Arizona State
Bowling Green
Central Florida
Florida State
SE Missouri St.
University of Arkansas
U. Houston
U. Oklahoma
U. Toledo
Wright State

I have absolutely no idea if this information is correct or not.

By Marite (Marite) on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 11:53 am: Edit

This is a link I found for colleges that give good scholarships to NMSC finalists:

http://counseling.ncssm.edu/Merit%20Final%20Schols.htm

By Eadad (Eadad) on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 04:09 pm: Edit

WUSTL does not offer full rides to NM Finalists...they have several merit based full and part tuition scholarships like the Mylonas but they have nothing to do with NM Finalist standing and require a separate application for each of the different scholarships.

Also be aware, WUSTL is not a need blind school, they are "need aware" in the admission process.

By Medusa2003 (Medusa2003) on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 07:48 pm: Edit

National Merit Finalist status isn't enough to even get you admitted to WUSTL much less given a full ride. Our daughter was an NM finalist, 1570 SAT, 35 ACT, top 3% of class with average ECs and was waitlisted by WUSTL.

She ended up accepting a merit scholarship from Grinnell which covered about 55% of costs. The University of Tulsa offers close to full rides for NM finalists.

By Coureur (Coureur) on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 07:50 pm: Edit

USC offers automatic 1/2 tuition scholarships to NMFs.

By Achat (Achat) on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 08:41 pm: Edit

Sorry about WUSTL, there is someone I know who went there, I just did not know the details.

By Anxiousmom (Anxiousmom) on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 09:15 pm: Edit

Univ. of Florida in Gainesville gives full ride.

By Tabby (Tabby) on Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 12:25 am: Edit

Tulane does not give NM a full ride at all. They give up to a max of $2,000 annually. They do, however, give some generous merit scholarships.

By Alongfortheride (Alongfortheride) on Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 02:04 am: Edit

I heard that Texas A&M does well for NMF's.

By Medusa2003 (Medusa2003) on Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 10:19 am: Edit

WUSTL does offer a $2,000 per year scholarship for admitted National Merit finalists as well as a variety of other merit based scholarships. However, as I mentioned in a previous post, National Merit finalist status at WUSTL is not
a guarantee of admission.

Until two years ago the University of Kansas offered full rides to all National Merit finalists. For the class of 2007, the scholarship for out of state National Merit Finalists was reduced from full ride to $5,000. Only four out of state NM finalists enrolled at KU that year compared to over 50 in previous years. Last year the scholarship for out of state National Merit finalists was increased to
$10,000. If you're interested in architecture or aeronautical engineering, KU might be worth investigating.

A couple of years ago the University of Arizona paid for airfare for National Merit finalists to visit their campus although I'm not sure if this is still the case.

I recollect that the New College of Florida, Alfred University, and Fordham also had generous scholarships for NM finalists.

By Medusa2003 (Medusa2003) on Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 10:39 am: Edit

The link below lists colleges that admitted at least 50 National Merit Scholars in 2002.

http://www.carleton.edu/admissions/nationalmerit/listing.html

The appeal of some of these schools might be the financial aid offered to National Merit scholars.

By Achat (Achat) on Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 11:48 am: Edit

WUSTL is very selective. I hope I did not give the impresssion that one could get in just on the basis of NMF.

By Sdrew (Sdrew) on Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 02:14 pm: Edit

University of Tulsa offers full-ride.

By Wlrsqtr (Wlrsqtr) on Sunday, September 19, 2004 - 10:54 am: Edit

WUSTL participates in the national scholarship program which means that it give $750 per year to NMS kids who show no need and up to $2000 to kids who do. That is the most that will come from national merit from highly selective schools (Rice, Hopkins etc) even those that offer other metit aid. Some don't even honor that. But this has nothing to do with admissions to these schools. First you need to figure out what schools offer automatic admissions to finalists. The list of automatic scholarships is probably a subset of that.

By Flyingnow (Flyingnow) on Sunday, September 19, 2004 - 02:27 pm: Edit

WUSTL gave my child a $2000 per year non-need based NMS scholarship.

NMS will provide your name to interested colleges and those that offer large scholarships will write to you.

St. Louis Univ. offers large NMS related scholarships. Vanderbilt offers major (maybe $4000) MNS scholarships.

By Dazed04confused (Dazed04confused) on Sunday, September 19, 2004 - 03:15 pm: Edit

Fordham offers full-tuition scholarships to National Merit Semi-finalists and Finalists. I think the only requirement is that you have to be in the Top 10% of your H.S. Class

By Frazzled_One (Frazzled_One) on Sunday, September 19, 2004 - 03:41 pm: Edit

Vanderbilt's is actually $5K/year for accepted NMS finalists.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Sunday, September 19, 2004 - 04:50 pm: Edit

Baylor gives full tuition to National Merit Scholars.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Sunday, September 19, 2004 - 05:10 pm: Edit

Some other full-tuition NMS automatic scholarships I found:

Bradley
University of Nebraska Lincoln
Warner Pacific University
Alfred University
Fordham
Univ. of Kansas
University of Tulsa
Arizona State
DePauw

These schools offer 1/2 tuition scholarships:

Willamette
Boston U
University of Richmond

In nearly all cases, you have to name the school as your first choice and meet certain GPA or class rank requirements as well.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Sunday, September 19, 2004 - 05:18 pm: Edit

Add one more: The University of South Dakota, an excellent, small (5600) liberal arts focused school (with great journalism and engineering programs) offers full instate tuition AND full room and board for all NH Scholars.

Out of state students pay the difference which is about $5,000 a year for most states, about $2,000 a year for most mid-western states that have tuition exchange agreements with USD. Not a bad deal at all.

By Wlrsqtr (Wlrsqtr) on Sunday, September 19, 2004 - 11:22 pm: Edit

Florida International in Miami.

By Alan5 (Alan5) on Monday, September 20, 2004 - 07:53 am: Edit

Northeastern

By L_J (L_J) on Monday, September 20, 2004 - 08:37 pm: Edit

I agree that the university of South Dakota is a great deal for a national Merit finalist but........it does not have a engineering dept.
Medicine yes Law yes.......Journalism yes but I am pretty darn sure no engineering.

By Momof2inca (Momof2inca) on Monday, September 20, 2004 - 10:26 pm: Edit

Cal State Long Beach in California offers a full ride to Valedictorians and NMFinalists. Tuition, room, board, books, the works.

By Geniusash (Geniusash) on Thursday, September 23, 2004 - 03:56 am: Edit

2ND for the University of Tulsa!!! I am here on a full ride, it is the most intellectually and socially stimulating place I've ever been.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Thursday, September 23, 2004 - 10:44 am: Edit

LJ, whoops, You are absolutely right. South Dakota State is the place to go for engineering in SD. My mistake...early senility strikes again.

By Rhonda63 (Rhonda63) on Thursday, September 23, 2004 - 10:58 am: Edit

Medusa -- this is sort of OT, but WUSTL is one of those schools known for waitlisting "overqualified" kids as a way to boost yield. So if they think someone is so good that they will be accepted to better schools and won't attend, they may WL them. Tufts is the other school that is reputed to do this (hence the name "Tufts syndrome" for this practice).

By Medusa2003 (Medusa2003) on Thursday, September 23, 2004 - 11:53 am: Edit

Rhonda63 - Expected probability of attendance is certainly a factor in admissions at highly selective schools. Our daughter only applied to Washington U. because we suggested that she apply because it was a great school close to home. She never visited and didn't bother to fill out the applications for merit scholarships because she didn't want to go there.

Carolyn: The University of Kansas offers full tuition and room and board scholarhships only to NMF's who are Kansas residents. Out of state National Merit Finalists receive a $10,000 scholarship which covers most of the $12,500 out of state tuition but not room and board.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page