What's the value of an IB degree?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: What's the value of an IB degree?
By Dke (Dke) on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 12:22 pm: Edit

Is an IB degree considered "gold" as far as college admissions go? Would an IB degree (obtained from a mediocre public school) be more impressive than a decent transcript from a competitive private school?

By Interesteddad (Interesteddad) on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 12:32 pm: Edit

>> Is an IB degree considered "gold" as far as college admissions go?

Maybe in France.

I don't think that elite colleges put anywhere near the emphasis on IBs and AP collecting that high school students hope they do.

Instead, colleges really do seem to evaluate a transcript based on the offerings at the particular school. If it's IB, fine. If it's a heavy AP school, fine. If it's neither, that's fine, too.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 12:43 pm: Edit

I don't think that you can compare the two.
If a student went out of their way to get an IB degree or to go to a good private school, either experience could be very useful in the college application process.

One can't assume, however, that one experience would be valued more by top colleges than would the other experience. What also would matter is how the student presented their experience in their college application. It's the student (and to some extent the GC) who would put the experience into context.

By Concerneddad (Concerneddad) on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 04:27 pm: Edit

Ok, I will let you answer the question yourself from the following:

Student A: IB, 1510 SAT, 32 ACT
APPLIED to: Columbia, Brown, Yale, Emory,
Carniege-Mellon, Wash. U, Pomona &
Tulane.

ACCEPTED: Emory, C-Mellon, Wash. U,
Tulane.

Student B: 5 AP classes, 1500 SAT 32 ACT
APPLIED TO: Columbia, Brown, Wesleyan,
Rice, Wash. U, Pomona & Tulane
ACCEPTED: Wesleyan, Pomona, Wash. U, &
Tulane.

Both students went to the same elementary, middle and high school, and lived two doors apart.

Both now roommates at Tulane.

So much for an IB advantage in this case.

By Clipper (Clipper) on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 05:07 pm: Edit

I will have to weigh in here bc my daughter was an IB student. The only "gold" that you will get is that you will be more prepared for college than if you did not participate. It also depends on what kind of student you are - around here many kids drop out and elect to go back to their home schools bc it is too hard and since colleges evaluate you on your gpa (one aspect) they do not want to endanger that. For my daughter, being in a regular high school would have been an academic nightmare. She was one of the top students in her IB program, got one of the highest grades you can on the IB exams, etc etc and yet, she did not get into Yale or Harvard - her two top choices. So no, it isn't gold but to her it was worth it.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page