Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: Is this too much
By Crayon87 (Crayon87) on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 11:59 pm: Edit

AP COMP
APUSH
I.S. AP PHYSICS B
I.S. AP SPANISH LANGUAGE

I.S. = Indep Study (during class)

CC Classes: pre-cal, piano, & bio 101 (Q1)
calc 1, piano, & che 139 (Q2)
calc 2, paino, & microbio (Q3)

Is this too much for the school year? I'm a junior. I'm I.S.ing SPAN b/c I want to take an extra AP exam, and so i can take vietnamese next year at the CC. OH, and I'm doing I.S. Physics B because I want to learn C next year and my school offers few APs and that's why I have to I.S. some.

My ECs-----

Red Cross
-recruitment lead
-red cross youth council
-club founder/pres
-blood drive coordinating

Right now, I'm starting book drives and trying to get programs for my school's library. I'm also establishing a program where people run for red cross fundraisers. I'm on my way to making a committee to organize a city-wide race. I'm trying to start tutoring programs at my school and the jr high. And I've started working on recycling programs for teh district. I'm trying to start Mu Alpha Theta also and I'm writing newsletters for commun service and I'm changing my school. I'm also an exec mentor at school. I think I have a realyl good chance at president next year and head mentor.

I've been talking to treachers and they're helping me get internships at the university and I've started work for USABO and Intl Brain Bee prep... so that means I have to study neuro and bio for the exams. I've been working on USAMTS. Hmm...

I FEEL THAT IT'S NOT GOOD ENOUGH! AHHHHHH!

By Marite (Marite) on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 06:46 am: Edit

Crayon:

Only you can decide whether it is too much, but it definitely is PLENTY! The important thing is not to take many many challenging courses, it is to do well in those you do take.
Look over your list of ECs and focus on just a few; do not spread yourself thin over too many.
Relax, enjoy yourself.

By Mini (Mini) on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 07:08 pm: Edit

What do you do for fun?

(Life's too short to be focused only on college admissions; you'll only be a teenager once, so enjoy it. Make some mistakes, try new things, keep a journal, hug your mom and dad every now and then.)

By Ohio_Mom (Ohio_Mom) on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 09:05 pm: Edit

From a time management viewpoint - you've got several things that could get out of control at the same time - AP CS, APUSH, the clubs you founding, and possibly your calculus course. If they all required even amounts of time that's one thing - but they don't. If everything hits at once, you can be in trouble with everything at once. If you were my child I would council you to constrain your volunteering to a couple of organizations - leadership on one, grunt on another.

I know that its easy to feel that you are not doing enough, and with competitive admissions there is not a lot of certainty anywhere. But look at what you've just written - you're doing more than enough. At some point, you have to just say - I'm doing my best, I have to have some fun. And the worst that will happen is that you will get into wonderful school A instead of wonderful school B.

By Crayon87 (Crayon87) on Sunday, September 19, 2004 - 12:12 am: Edit

What do I do for fun...
oh man... I DONT KNOW!

I used to care about art, running, basketball, and singing a whole lot. When I started high school, things weren't the same. I joined sports; they turned out to be a disaster. (Injuries, coaching issues, personal issues, teammates)... and I really don't know what happened! I couldn't join choir either because of scheduling issues and stuff.

I felt things were getting really messed up once I became a sophomore. All I did was study and do boring things and being overly dramatic, I thought I would fail because I didn't have any ECs! I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT I WANT ANYMORE!

I remember hearing about the Red Cross from my old school, and I founded aclub to look good and because I was interested in the health field.

Several weeks after I started it, I realized what a LIAR I was! It drove me crazy and it still does! Sometimes I think, "well, what I'm doing is for the greater good! People are better! It's because of me! I'm not bad at all!" YEAH! We were on TV in the first few weeks we were founded and we were just given a certificate since we didnt win our nomination for an award from the R.C.! Other times I think, "I hate the kids in my club. I hate myself. I can't stand this. This is so stupid. I'm a sellout." I felt incredibly sick. I saw everyone differently and it was just... a mess. I wanted to quit at times.

If I went and quit everything I wouldn't be really solving anything would I? I wouldn't be helping anyone either. OH MAN I'M SO SELFISH.

I'm not going to quit though! OK. I'll take care of things and lighten my load. I KNOW I CAN'T DO EVERYTHING! OK. I'll address specific issues. and... I wont worry about it. Because it's for the greater good for everyone!!!! Yeah...

=X

A lot of times, I feel like everyone is counting on me though. Like in my family... to achieve more than every other cousin and so on. In my school... to be some type of hero to the community.

In the end, I could just not put it on a silly application!! because that would be defeating the purpose of doing the work! It wouldn't be in earnest, and in teh end, all that really matters is that the work was done right? So, it doesn't matter what people's motives are?

Yeah, ok... I'm weird.

By Reidmc (Reidmc) on Sunday, September 19, 2004 - 01:34 am: Edit

. . not weird at all. There are a lot of kids (and parents) overstressing about college admissions. Just sounds like you and your family have created a situation where you feel way too much pressure.

You already know what to do. . ."lighten your load" and make sure that you are able to keep your grades up without wiping yourself out.

As for the ECs, if you could strip them down to Red Cross and then maybe get some significant music or running (significant activity or involvement, not necessarily record-breaking achievement)you'll be fine.

Regarding Red Cross, I remember hearing once about something called the "intentionalist fallacy" . . .something that pointed out that your intentions are separate from the value of an action. Mozart may have written a symphony just to pay a bill - that does not mean it is not an awesome piece of music. George Bush may have intended to help the Iraqi people. . .well, let's not go there. In your case, as you state above, you may have started your club just to look good, but now it is up and running and actually doing some good things. That's the ultimate value, not your intention.

So dial it down a little, eat three meals a day and try to sleep for eight hours a night. And just do the best you can -- you'll get into a good school if you do.

By Marite (Marite) on Sunday, September 19, 2004 - 07:03 am: Edit

I agree with Reidmc totally, including the analysis of intentional fallacy. If the RC group you created is doing good, that is all that matters. Take pride in it. And relax.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page