Claremont-Mckenna-reach!
Pepperdine
University San Diego
Santa Clara
St. Louis University
Elizabethtown
Ithaca
Trinity
I know it is long 12 schools but most are common app. with only 1 that is not and 1 supplemental essay.
Many are 5 yr Occupational Therapy bachelor/masters programs which is why there are a few different ones thrown in
Stats:(sorry to be repetitive) A- average(mostly honors, 3 AP's,many leadership and excellent EC's. This is her strength. SAT low side 1210, ACT 27. Retaking both but this is all we have to go on for now. Needs finaid with an expected family contrib around 20,000.
If there is a school you think we should eliminate let me know. I tried to get her to take off Pepperdine and possibly Ithaca due to poor aid? What do you think? Any input on the list? It is hard without visiting them all to know. She likes outdoor activities, prefers Div 3 teams vs Div 1 but could do 1. Also likes to be close to a city, loved Redlands and of course the Claremont Colleges as well as Puget Sound. Loves California and the beach.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 09:08 pm: Edit

Take a chance on either Pepperdine or Ithaca - you never know what they will offer. Looks like a very nice list to me with some terrific schools on it. Best of luck to her!

By Arizonamom (Arizonamom) on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 11:01 pm: Edit

Thanks Carolyn,As always you have been a huge help with pulling this together.

By Reidmc (Reidmc) on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 02:42 am: Edit

I agree with Carolyn. With only one non-Common App school and only one supplement, the workload is manageable, and your D can really focus on the Common App items. However, as long as a legit safety stays on the list, your D could drop a few along the way.

By Outwest5 (Outwest5) on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 08:08 pm: Edit

Nice list! Just remember that many schools have small supplementals for the common app. But, this is still very doable. If she is a CA resident you should throw in two UC's. Santa Cruz, Irvine and Santa Barbara are all either ON the coast or within minutes of the beach. One app for both schools. Ithaca and Trinity could possibly come off, but all in all a very good list (go-Scripps :)). By the Way, Scripps is pretty generous with aid, too and it may be a big contender.

By Arizonamom (Arizonamom) on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 08:23 pm: Edit

Thanks Outwest that is good news about Scripps-she loves the Claremont Schools. She decided against the SATII's and is just retaking the SAT I so that leaves the UC's out unfortunatly. Tell me more about Itaca and why you think it should come off. I was a little ify about their aid. They are supposed to have a good Occupational Therapy reputation and have the 5 year master's program which is why she has it on. She is not used to the cold and hates it so another good reason to cut it. I'm curious to what you think.

By Outwest5 (Outwest5) on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 12:12 pm: Edit

At the risk of being lamblasted here, New York Universities are notoriously poor with financial aid. Go ahead and apply, you never know what will happen, but don't hold your breath.

Also, Loma Linda University is a private college that is very strong in OT. Has she looked at that one? I am a little curious about why she is interested in a liberal arts college if her goal is job training like Occupational Therapy. OT is a great career, by the way. We employ lots of OT people at the large hospital I work at. Of course, OT is a master's degree, so in retrospect it doesn't really matter what undergrad. she has, does it, sorry.

By Arizonamom (Arizonamom) on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 12:34 pm: Edit

She wants to become proficient is spanish as well-is in AP Spanish and Spanish National Honor Society. If she does 4 yr undergrad and then goes to a 2 yr masters program she has the benefit of double majoring in spanish and say psychology and taking pre-requisites for the OT masters program BUT if she does a 5 yr program she can dive right in to OT and do spanish on the side. There are not a lot of OT 5 yr programs and she loves California. I think you have convinced me at least to take off Ithaca. We just can't afford to do it without good aid. Is Loma Linda more medical oriented in general. She wants the whole college experience as well but I will look into their web site, thanks. She had looked at Dominican but it has over 70% female. At least Scrpps has other colleges nearby. She grew up very close to her brother and likes male friends and male study mates. Thanks for the info on Ithaca. Do you think Boston University would be better?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page