Thought I'd ask the parents.

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: Thought I'd ask the parents.
By John123 (John123) on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 05:42 pm: Edit

I'm a little confused about everything admissions/schools here. All I'm being told right now is do well in whatever you do, and you will end up with a good job.

My question to you is how the system exactly works -- I have decent chances at any top25 colleges for undergraduate work. If I were to go to a school like the University of Michigan, can someone tell me my odds of getting in the best graduate schools in the US? Would I even want to go to the best, or stay at Michigan?

I'm really confused about what I should be concentrating on right now. I go to school in order to get a job, so that's why I'm worrying about going to the right college. I probably have decent chances at Cornell, Northwestern, and a few others. But U of M seems like they have tons of courses to offer, and they do extremely well in undergraduate courses. Will it hurt me in the long run to go there instead of a more prestigious university? I figure I should try to attend the best university I can get into, and go from there. I'd really like to go to a graduate school at Stanford or an Ivy. Do I have a chance if I go to U of M? Or do I have to conduct my undergrad at one of those schools as well?

Thanks for your input in advance. I'm just trying to put this all into perspective. While I'm at it, do any of you have any tips on careers to follow? Not really sure if I want to go into engineering or business, or even biology/med school. I'm so confused. I feel I can succeed at whatever I do -- I just need some pointers. Good pointers would be things like what type of people go into the different fields, expected salaries, job availabilities, etc. I've always done well in the maths and sciences, but wondering if I should go to a business or law school because they seem to be better off. Also wondering if I could supplement a technology/engineering degree with business classes..

Sorry for rambling. I'm just a little curious. I don't have what it takes to get into a dream school like MIT/Stanford now, and would like the chance at one of their graduate schools. I definitely think I have what it takes, and I just don't want to shoot myself in the foot by going to the wrong undergraduate school that sends 0 people to top US graduate schools. :>

By Dstark (Dstark) on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 05:47 pm: Edit

If you do well at Michigan, you can go to a great grad school.
My daughter is a freshman at Michigan. She loves the place.

By Ohio_Mom (Ohio_Mom) on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 05:58 pm: Edit

Apply to U Michigan now - they are rolling admissions, I believe. U Mich is a very good and prestigious public, and has many alumni (networking!). It is recommended on these boards a lot.

Apply anywhere else that:

a) you like
b) has the majors you might be interested in
c) you have a shot at

If you don't know what you want, exactly, set yourself up so that you will have options to choose from come April.

By John123 (John123) on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 05:23 pm: Edit

Yeah I plan on applying ASAP. Looking to get into the engineering school.

I know of someone who went to U of M engineering and now is looking to get into harvard business school. Aren't there prerequisites for a business school?

By John123 (John123) on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 07:53 pm: Edit

Basically, what I'm asking is where I can go if I decide to go to U of M for engineering.

Anyone have any statistics or anything for things such as what universities the students at top graduate schools come from?

By Marite (Marite) on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 08:13 pm: Edit

John:

I should think that if you did well in engineering, you would have a good chance of getting into HBS. the math background needed for engineering would be fine. You could also perhaps take an economics class or two. But it would be even better if you had some working experience before applying. Also note that UM Business School is very well regarded and has just received a massive donation that will surely make a difference by the time you get your B.S.

By Csbballstardad (Csbballstardad) on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 08:19 pm: Edit

John, Michigan has a great rep. Stop sweating. You will drive yourself nuts. You can't figure this all out now. Start as an undecided but with a good core and see where it leads. There is no key to wealth but there is one to knowledge. The University of Michigan and a lot of other places will give you their key. What doors you open with it is up to you. Good luck.

By Ckbrown (Ckbrown) on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 09:25 pm: Edit

The Wall Street Journal researched the top feeder schools to top graduate schools (law, business, med)...do an on-line search for "top 50 feeder schools" and the "top 30 state feeder schools". I found a copy at www.legaled.com/feeder.htm awhile ago.

By John123 (John123) on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 10:13 pm: Edit

Thanks for the input.

I guess I'm just sort of stressing. I just don't want to mess anything up. My main concern now is getting into the best college I can. I was just named a semifinalist, and I want to make the most of it, you know? I kind of felt that it may have opened a few more doors which I want to make sure I don't overlook.

Thanks again.

By Reidmc (Reidmc) on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 10:55 pm: Edit

Doing well at Michigan would put you in good shape for any graduate school.

Ohio Mom has some good perspective on your admissions questions. As for your questions about engineering vs science etc. . .you've got plenty of time to sort that out once you are in college.

By John123 (John123) on Sunday, September 19, 2004 - 01:16 am: Edit

I'm having a difficult time deciding on colleges to apply to, but I don't want to bore you people with that, as you probably hear that all the time :P.

I wish I wasn't sucked into the admissions game like everyone else is. It's difficult to get perspective on things when you're one of the players. In the end, the only thing that really matters is that I go to a good college where I can experience a lot and keep my options open. It's just kind of sad how much stress society puts on kids in their teenage years about school, and how if you don't go somewhere decent, your life is ruined. That's the last thing kids my age should be worrying about, IMO.

By Reidmc (Reidmc) on Sunday, September 19, 2004 - 01:42 am: Edit

In the end, the only thing that really matters is that I go to a good college where I can experience a lot and keep my options open.

That's a pretty good thought to keep in mind. And if you are qualified for Michigan or a Top 25 school (don't forget those liberal arts colleges though) you'll easily be able to get that experience.

Also, feel free to post in this area, or in the "College Search and Selection" area about your decision-making process for selecting your application list. Many of the people that frequent this site love giving advice, and some of it is pretty darn good.

By Bookiemom (Bookiemom) on Sunday, September 19, 2004 - 01:44 am: Edit

John, Feel the calm.

Apply to Michigan and stop worrying so much about what to major in. One great thing about Michigan is that it's a good school for business, engineering, or a pre-med major. It's a great school--don't think you are going somewhere second-class. If you do well there, you will be able to get a good job and/or get into a good grad school. And Michigan has excellent grad schools as well (I went to one).

Michigan, Cornell, and Northwestern are all more than "decent."

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page