NYU + Newspaper Editors = A Weird Situation

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: NYU + Newspaper Editors = A Weird Situation
By Marestar20 (Marestar20) on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 12:44 am: Edit

Hi all,

This should have probably gone in the "Chances" section, but I tried a few times over the last few hours and it wouldn't let me post it there. So, sorry if it's OT!

My school's newspaper has three Co-Editors, myself and two other girls. Today, we realized that we all intend to apply to the same small college at NYU (Gallatin) - it's a freaky coincidence. They are both going to apply ED, while I will be applying RD because I don't want to get tied down to a school, and also need to compare financial aid packages.

Anyway, we were wondering, is this going to hurt our chances at the school? Are they going to be less inclined to accept more than one of us since we're *all* newspaper editors from the same small Dallas private school, even if we have stats that are equal to and/or above their averages?

Any opinions would be appreciated!
- Mary

By Mini (Mini) on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 01:24 am: Edit

In the very little knowledge I have in this area (take with a grain of sale), it might depend upon whether your GC has regularly contact with NYU over the years. If so, the GC will likely get a phonecall from an adcom to sort it out - and for help in ranking you as candidates. (Your GC will never tell you that.) It doesn't mean that they won't take all three of you (especially if your financial situations are different, or take none of you at all. But an adcom will investigate further -- that is, after all, their job.

By Alwaysamom (Alwaysamom) on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 11:16 am: Edit

Mary, what a strange coincidence that all three of you have chosen Gallatin. Unfortunately, I would think that it is extremely unlikely that all three of you would be accepted. Gallatin, as you said, is very small, only 900 students in total for all four years. Additionally, it takes a very special situation for a student to be the right 'fit' for Gallatin. I'm sure you've investigated it and realize what type of student they are looking for, and also the importance of being that 'type' of student. While admission chances are usually more favorable for E.D. students (traditionally around 33% rather than 25%, although this past year they took 45% of E.D. students and thus had fewer spots for R.D.), acceptance rates, in general, to all NYU colleges have become increasingly competitive. This past year saw 34,000 applicants, the highest they've ever had, and the Admissions office expects it to continue this year. I don't want to discourage you but I hope that you have also found other good schools to apply to which would be a good fit for you and where you think you could be happy. Good luck.

By Achat (Achat) on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 03:21 pm: Edit

I am wondering why you guys chose Gallatin. My son was admitted to NYU last year. He was also EIC of his school newspaper, albeit alone. But he had applied to CAS and there is a journalism major at CAS as well. Why did you guys choose Gallatin? Is it because you want to pursue your own major? Independent study is encouraged?

By Xdad (Xdad) on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 03:41 pm: Edit

I don't think it will hurt your individual chances. This is not that different from all members of an academic or athletic team applying to the same school. On the other hand, it may be wise to check the application process of Gallatin and see if they welcome to attach additional material to the application. If they do, I would recommend to build a portfolio of your individual contributions at the school paper, and add outside articles you may have had published. This is a time to "bare the facts!"

By Marestar20 (Marestar20) on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 05:56 pm: Edit

Thanks for your commments, guys!

Xdad - just have to remark upon your last statement of "bare the facts" because our newspaper is actually called "The Bear Facts" - I just found that amusing. Also, it's my understanding that NYU welcomes supplimental material but, like most schools, not too much of it.

Achat - we all chose Gallatin because we all have many, varied interests that extend far beyond newspaper. Personally, I'm interested in studying English, political science, and religion.

- Mary

By Alwaysamom (Alwaysamom) on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 09:10 pm: Edit

Mary, one comment about supplemental materials for NYU. Perhaps Gallatin is different but I know that NYU otherwise asks that NO supplemental materials be sent with the application. They make it clear that anything extra will not be looked at in the Admissions process. You might want to email someone at Gallatin and inquire.

By Achat (Achat) on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 09:43 pm: Edit

Mary, if Gallatin has 900 seats, then they offer admission to at least 1800 (hoping for 50% yield which is still high). So I would say that your chances at Gallatin if all of you are high stats students is good. I would think the yield would be closer to 40% but I could be wrong. That would translate into 2250 offers.

And I think CAS has a lower selectivity than Gallatin but last year a lot of students from my son's public school in New Jersey(perhaps close to 25-30) applied. I think all those who had > 1450 SATs and >3.8 unweighted GPA got in even in the RD round. Those with lower stats did not, however.

By Alwaysamom (Alwaysamom) on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 10:15 pm: Edit

Achat, I guess I wasn't clear in my previous post but Gallatin has a total of 900 students in the college, not 900 openings for freshmen. Sorry for the confusion. :)

By Achat (Achat) on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 10:19 pm: Edit

Sorry, then maybe it will be harder.

By Marestar20 (Marestar20) on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 11:21 pm: Edit

Alwaysmom, I think you're right about the supplemental materials for NYU, I must have been confusing them with Columbia in my head.

Ug... too many schools, too many policies to keep track of...

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page