Hello from Hurricane Ivan

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: Hello from Hurricane Ivan
By Cangel (Cangel) on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 10:02 pm: Edit

Well, we knew it was too good to be true, we are now on alert for Hurricane Ivan. The standard joke down here is "When Jim Cantore shows up in the next town over, you know you're in real trouble". We've put gas in the car, lawn furniture in the garage, and bought tuna, Vienna sausage and a beef stick (don't ask).
In all seriousness, keep all of us here on the Gulf Coast in your prayers, and we'll keep you updated - and, by the way, it's MO-beel, not Mobull, or Mo-bile.

By Alwaysamom (Alwaysamom) on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 10:31 pm: Edit

Stay safe, Cangel. I have friends in Fort Walton Beach who are in the path, as well. What a month it's been.

By Tabby (Tabby) on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 10:46 pm: Edit

We are holding our breath in the NOLA area. Good luck Cangel.

By Pokey318 (Pokey318) on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 11:18 pm: Edit

Tulane cancelled classes through Friday. My son and most of his friend are leaving first thing tomorrow morning. Some are flying out, others are driving. This is my sons third hurricane in his two years at Tulane. His freshman year there were two almost back to back.

By Momoffour (Momoffour) on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 11:25 pm: Edit

My mother in Vero Beach just got her power back today from Frances last week.

By Alongfortheride (Alongfortheride) on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 11:34 pm: Edit

Pokey, we just booked for my son to fly home from Tulane. Better safe than sorry. Although I shudder to think of a hurricane hitting NOLA, I have to admit I'll be happy to see him.

Tabby and Cangel, stay safe, and the best to you. Please keep us posted about the weather in "Mobile and NOLA. I will say extra prayers for everyone down your way.

By Cangel (Cangel) on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 07:14 am: Edit

We worry more about NOLA than we do ourselves - we've had a couple of hurricanes and a lot of scares over the past few years - Ihate to think what 36" of rain would do to the French Quarter.

Thanks for the kind words, the weather will be beautiful today.

By Achat (Achat) on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 07:50 am: Edit

Prayers and best wishes, Cangel, hope the hurricane dies down completely.

By Achat (Achat) on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 07:52 am: Edit

Good luck to your sons, daughters and family, Alongfortheride, Concerneddad, Tabby and Pokey318.

By Pokey318 (Pokey318) on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 09:01 am: Edit

Thanks for the well wishes Achat. I wish my son would call me this morning, I wanted to remind him to gas his car before he hits empty! So many people coming from Florida with the last hurricane ran out of gas on the road. I hear New Orleans highways will be bumper to bumper. I should have flow him out, but he is bringing home a few friends that either didn't want to go home, couldn't get a flight home, or couldn't afford another flight home.

I now get to be the worried mother that has no clue when he will arrive home. I'm wondering if it may take him twice as long to get here with the traffic. I guess I will be up most of the night unless they make it here before bedtime. He was going to try and leave early, but they have to get the apartment ready before they can leave. I guess he is getting another lesson in how to be an adult on his own.

By Achat (Achat) on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 09:13 am: Edit

Wow, best wishes to your son again Pokey! I'm sure he will do the right thing. Do let us know how it went.

By Concerneddad (Concerneddad) on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 10:07 am: Edit

Thanks Achat, we got our son a flight out today. But (to my chagrin, but not surprise) he is going to visit his girlfrien in Boulder rather than come home. Go figure, an 18 year man wanting to see his girlfriend rather than his parents. Who would have thunk it. LOL

By Tabby (Tabby) on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 10:11 am: Edit

Thanks achat, alongfortheride, cangel,and pokey; your prayers and good wishes are appreciated. Cangel, I remember Frederic in your case and hope there won't be a repeat. We are on standby and ready to evacuate if needed. Glad the Tulane kids are getting out. The city of NO is shaped like a bowl; if the eye hits, it will fill with water and be an unbelievable disaster. If you want the very latest on New Orleans developments, WWL TV and WWL AM radio online are the best sources. We're tuned into the Weather Channel also, of course, and weather underground (wunderground.com). A new advisory is coming out at 10 AM Central Time.

By Alongfortheride (Alongfortheride) on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 10:15 am: Edit

Pokey, I'm sure that your son will handle this all very well. I am glad to hear that he has friends with him, because he will have someone to converse with and share the driving. It's so much safer to drive when you're not tired and have others to keep you alert. He's being a Good Samaritan to take his friends with him to safety, and I believe that he will be rewarded with a safe journey home. Besides, when he gets there, I'm sure he and his friends will have lots of funny stories to tell you!

There wasn't much for my son and his roomie to prepare in the dorm room. He packed his clothes and books in a duffle bag and his backpack with his laptop and small electronics. He put his monitor, TV, and printer in his closet and closed the door to protect it from possible blowing rain and they taped their window. Their room is on the 4th floor, so flooding shouldn't be an issue for them. Hope your son gets his apartment ready in short order so they can hit the road.

With what little my son had to do to prepare, I am left thinking about everyone that has so much more preparation to do and so much more to lose.

By Alongfortheride (Alongfortheride) on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 10:22 am: Edit

Tabby, thanks for the weather links. The channels have all been so focused on Florida getting number three that they neglected the thought that it might strike further west. The reports have been spotty, even on national weather concerning NO - until last night - and then it was really spotty coverage. I guess they will scramble to get more news teams further west. The links you gave should help us stay informed.

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 10:40 am: Edit

To all of you who live down there, or have sons/daughters at college in that area, I will be thinking of you and am sorry you have to deal with all this and the evacuations as well. I'm sure as a parent, you will feel better having your children leave during this time. Stay in touch and let us know how you are doing and know that we'll be thinking of and Ivan.
Susan

By Cangel (Cangel) on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 10:51 am: Edit

Thanks everyone for the good wishes. We are in better shape than NO to handle this (at least above, not below sea level) - but enough people remember Frederic and even Camille, there are grim faces around here. We pretty much don't evacuate, except right on coast/bays/rivers, and folks in trailers, so we are boarding up to ride it out.

By Concerneddad (Concerneddad) on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 12:17 pm: Edit

Thanks Susan. Cangel, good luck and stay safe.

By Barrons (Barrons) on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 12:40 pm: Edit

Best of luck. It looks like a bad one but the last one really petered out so there is still hope.

By Iflyjets (Iflyjets) on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 12:51 pm: Edit

Cangel,

While both Charley and Frances took a toll in our area, and we are certainly relieved to NOT be facing winds above 50 knots again this weekend, I certainly wish Ivan had just died out at sea!! We wish you all the best and hope to hear that you weather this storm OK. Good luck from a swamped Floridian!!

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 01:07 pm: Edit

Good luck to everyone - I'll be thinking of you all.

By Concerneddad (Concerneddad) on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 04:58 pm: Edit

And they say College does not teach a kid very much: My son just informed me that he will skip the raw oysters at the Acme Oyster House and go straight to security and his gate at MSY. No wonder he got the Dean's Honors Scholarship! LOL

By Eadad (Eadad) on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 06:17 pm: Edit

A friend's daughter attends Loyola New Orleans. They have closed school until Sept 20 and are in a "lockdown mode" according to their emails to students/faculty.

By Cangel (Cangel) on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 11:10 pm: Edit

Hey guys, daughter thought of something when i got home from work today - she has an interview scheduled for mid-Oct at Dartmouth, she was going to spend the night, then drive down to Amherst for an overnight. When I scheduled her interview, both schools said call back around mid-Sept for an overnight host and class attendance. How are we going to call?
Iflyjets and Bookworm (Ithink in FLA) do you have phone or cell service back yet?
In Frederic, most people got their electricity back in 3 weeks, although some went as long as 6 weeks before they got power back.
I know we shouldn't worry about this at a time like this, but family pictures and her college apps are the only things we used our precious plastic tubs for (In case we lose the roof)

By Iflyjets (Iflyjets) on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 11:26 pm: Edit

We had power and service back on within 4 days after each storm...we were very fortunate. After Charley, a power line had fallen and the sagging lines blocked entry and exit from our development. We became an "emergency" repair so that fire and ambulance crews would be able to access our neigherhood. Otherwise, we would have been like many neighboring areas....an extended period without power. The next town up went 14 days without power, with some residents still without power now weeks after Charley and Frances (some never got power back between storms). Ironically, the phone lines and cell pone service were out longer than the power, although after Frances the cell phone came back before the hardline into our house.

How about emailing Dart and Amherst with some proposed dates and tell them your concern about losing communications. I know that Dartmouth was very helpful when I had to re-schedule D's overnight last year due to a last minute illness.

Good luck.

By Mimk6 (Mimk6) on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 11:31 pm: Edit

"Hey guys, daughter thought of something when i got home from work today - she has an interview scheduled for mid-Oct at Dartmouth, she was going to spend the night, then drive down to Amherst for an overnight."

An e-mail that you will call after the crisis should be enough -- they understand these things. Last year, Stanford was extremely accomodating of families in CA that were impacted by the fires. They gave an extension on EA to anyone who said the fire had been an issue for them.

By Bookworm (Bookworm) on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 12:32 am: Edit

Got power back over weekend. Now, facing another problem. Suppose to fly across country on Fri., and now scared how airlines will handle the hurricane. Cancel flights? delay? reroute? Sure don't want S to start college late.
just one thing after another, and I haven't begun to call repairman

By Achat (Achat) on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 07:55 am: Edit

I feel for you guys, it's one thing after another. Hope everything works out. If you guys need anything and your computer works, you can use this board (hope it is ok with the moderators) to get information.

By Cangel (Cangel) on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 10:03 am: Edit

Thanks she (yay, ownership of the process) called Dartmouth and they were already booked up , I will try to contact Sybbie when I can, anyone else has a daughter at D'mouth, or a son who needs a good meal in Oct? She's set up at Amherst. Thanks for your help.

Ivan is shaping up to be worse than Frederic which remade the look of Mobile, so I will be out of touch for awhile as soon as the power is gone. Pray for us and NOLA and all the people in Tenn, NC and Va. Very few people die on the coast from hurricanes (storm surge) the evacuations are very thorough, ten times as many people lose their lives to inland flooding, mainly in the Appalachians - Turn Around, Don't Drown. The entire state of Alabama is going to be a mess.

By Achat (Achat) on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 10:32 am: Edit

Bookworm, if your son is in Caltech, couldn't you call the school and explain your circumstances? I always have a emergency plan in cases like this. Not saying you wouldn't be able to fly, but still.

Let's say I and my son could not make it to Caltech in time....I'd call the school up and explain. They would give you words of reassurance at least and have probably thought of this too and have a real plan for kids in the same circumstances.

By Enjoyingthis (Enjoyingthis) on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 11:52 am: Edit

Cangel-- I'm thinking about you. What a pain, trying to do the college thing with Ivan at your door! Hope you'll keep posting as long as possible.

By Alongfortheride (Alongfortheride) on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 05:21 pm: Edit

As a Tulane parent, I want to take time to thank Jackson State University for making their gymnasium a shelter for the 140 Tulane students with no place to head. Many Tulane students, such as Pokey's son filled their cars and toted friends home with them. I have also heard from Concerneddad that many international students have been "adopted" by families during the storm. Nice to see students and their families taking care of each other. Fortunately, my son was only a Southwest flight away from Texas and was able to head home to ride it out. As long distance air fares out of New Orleans (the Boston area I heard of in a couple of cases) approached the $1,000 mark, many found themselves priced out of that plane ride home. I am thankful that Southwest charged the fares that had been published since last summer. My son flew with many Tulane students to Houston and several on to Dallas. One girl was going to visit her sister at SMU. It was nice that those students had family and friends in areas with the affordable flights still available. I am crossing my fingers that things will continue to improve in New Orleans, and I am praying for Cangel and all of the other folks in Mobile.

By Achat (Achat) on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 05:29 pm: Edit

Did Pokey's son reach home, do you know? She did not post back...you don't know people here anyway but when they post, you feel involved, sort of.

By Alongfortheride (Alongfortheride) on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 05:43 pm: Edit

Yes, he did. She posted on the Tulane thread. It took a good while, but he and friends arrived safely.

By Achat (Achat) on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 09:58 pm: Edit

That's great news. I'll look up the Tulane thread. We have people from my son's school who went to Tulane as well.

By Pokey318 (Pokey318) on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 11:52 pm: Edit

Yes my son made it home; thank you for asking. As I sit here, he and his friends are watching the weather channel to keep up with their school and friends. A few classmates when home to Mobile to be with family and the kids are worried about them. I hope all is well with each and everyone of them. It seems that New Orleans will be spared the worst, but you never know which way this deadly storm will turn. I bet the kids will stay up most of the night to keep an eye on the weather.

Everyone take care and be safe.

By Backhandgrip (Backhandgrip) on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 09:04 am: Edit

If my kids were there I think they would just wait it out. Do any of you locals have any comments about doing that?Would this be possible?

By Backhandgrip (Backhandgrip) on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 09:09 am: Edit

Also Cangel: what is that college, the big one in Alabama which pushes their space/engineering program?Are they any good? What is it like in Mobeel?
Also, keep us informed about what you are seeing due to this hurricane.This one looks bad.

By Concerneddad (Concerneddad) on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 10:28 am: Edit

BHG, your kids would not have had any choice. The Tulane students either went home, or somewhere else (i.e., visiting the girlfriend out of state), or they went to Jackson, MS. The dorms were closed, so "riding it out" at school was not an option.

I suppose you could have put your kids up in a local hotel.

By Alongfortheride (Alongfortheride) on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 10:55 am: Edit

BHG, given the size of Ivan and the uncertainty until the final hours of where landfall would occurr, I was happy to have the kids out of there. If it had hit NO head on, the flooding and possible death toll would have been horrendous - not to mention the health problems brough on by lack of sanitation and drinking water. (It is thought that a direct hit by a category 5 storm would overwhelm the levees and pumps and so fill the city with water that it would take six months to pump it dry.) Also, only about 60% of Tulane students live on campus. The housing around campus, while quaint, is old and was built before the latest hurricane technology. My son was curious as to how the temporary pavillion would have withstood a direct hit. It's supposed to be able to take it, but he was a little skeptical. It's great that we didn't have to find out. But with Tulane, it's next door neighbor Loyola, Xavier, Dillard, and UNO all located in New Orleans, I'm glad the colleges emptied out. The price had it turned out differently would just be too much to bear.

Cangel, I heard Mobile was also spared a direct hit and the storm surge didn't hit the river. So glad for you as well. The problem with a situation like this is that someone has to lose. I understand the University of Alabama is shut down do to the storm and tornadoes will continue to be a problem for folks all around. More prayers for you all.

By Backhandgrip (Backhandgrip) on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 03:30 pm: Edit

Cangel; Huntsville, Al.Don't know the name of the school but a big one and a really nice admissions rep 7 yrs ago.
How about that!Closed the dorm! I know with my D she would go with friends to their home if there was a hurricane threat.Somehow seems Tulane is really a small town kind of place and doesn't really have all the conveniences I would expect in a big city.Who has the son who does football? Concernedad, is your son the academic or the athlete?How is it going down there?

By Alongfortheride (Alongfortheride) on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 04:04 pm: Edit

>>How about that!Closed the dorm! I know with my D she would go with friends to their home if there was a hurricane threat.Somehow seems Tulane is really a small town kind of place and doesn't really have all the conveniences I would expect in a big city>>

BHG, what kind of conveniences are you referring to? They could have had Hitler's bunker and drown in it. Better yet, they could have put them up in the most luxurious suites in the French Quarter, but without water and power, what would they have done but wait it out like everyone else? Tulane has the amenities that you would expect in a big city. I'm just not aware of an amenity that makes you hurricane proof.

By Concerneddad (Concerneddad) on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 04:11 pm: Edit

BHG, my son was a football player, who was admitted to Wesleyan, Wash. U & Pomona. However, he chose to go to Tulane on an academic scholarship. He is not playing football at Tulane.

By Tabby (Tabby) on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 06:12 pm: Edit

Backhandgrip, I have a niece at University of Alabama at Tuscaloosa and one who just graduated from Auburn. Those are the only two "big" colleges in the state of Alabama. The only colleges in Huntsville are U of A Huntsville and Alabama A&M, both small colleges with about 5,000 students. Huntsville is home to Marshall Space Flight Center and a large space museum, also a popular space camp. Perhaps you are thinking of this.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page