Part-time Job for Student in Portland, Oregon?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: Part-time Job for Student in Portland, Oregon?
By Thedad (Thedad) on Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 08:00 pm: Edit

Hi, guys. I'm trolling for a friend here.

One of D's friends from ballet has been accepted at the Oregon Festival Ballet school full-time for the next year. She has an extremely good shot at becoming an apprentice for next year...this year's slots were already filled.

This girl is bright, quiet, honest, responsible, and smart. She's looking for a part-time job, mornings (as early as necessary) and early afternoons are the best fits. She's done mostly stuff like incidental child care (i.e., babysitting) up until now but her mom worked for me selling tickets for the ballet company's performances and, if the apple does not fall from the tree, I'd imagine this girl to be competent in any number of light office or retail situations.

By Momsquared (Momsquared) on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 10:04 am: Edit

Just some ideas: Coffee is big here, try the many coffee shops, esp. for early morning. Also, Powells book store often is looking. Although I've heard the pay isn't great, they are flexible. Perhaps nanny for professors? Reed college, University of Portland, Portland State and several CCs.

By Emeraldkity4 (Emeraldkity4) on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 10:30 am: Edit

I second the coffee shops
You also might try
http://www.livejournal.com/userinfo.bml?user=damnportlanders

By Midwesterner (Midwesterner) on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 03:20 pm: Edit

My niece did very well as a lifeguard all through college and graduate school. Starting salaries are reasonably good, and there are lots of shifts available, including early mornings at the health clubs.It's also the perfect summer job! Certification isn't hard; some clubs will even hire without it and then sponsor the employee.

By Dstark (Dstark) on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 07:12 pm: Edit

Portland real estate prices seems much cheaper than Seattle ...true?
Are there cheap rentals for Students?

By Emeraldkity4 (Emeraldkity4) on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 07:40 pm: Edit

oh yes Portland is much cheaper than Seattle. Housing cheaper, food cheaper, gas about the same but public transportation much better
Seattle is bigger, but housing can still be hard to find

By Thedad (Thedad) on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 12:56 am: Edit

Thanks, guys. I'll relay these ideas.

Other ideas welcome.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page