Outdoorsy but not extremely so!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: Outdoorsy but not extremely so!
By Calmdownmom (Calmdownmom) on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 03:11 pm: Edit

First post, parents! D will kill if she sees me post here, so...shh.

3.83 unweighted in small ex-urban WI public school. Overwhelming majority go to 4- yr colleges. 1 or 2 to Ivy/year.

Honors and AP English all 4 years, A's and 5's.(Only 4 AP offered)
On track math, Honors in 11th, calculus--A's so far. 4 years science, all honors offered: Bio, Chem, Physics--again A's so far.

4 years participation in statewide Youth in Gov't program. Committee Chair, Steering committee, delegation president.

4 years of one sport, 3 varsity letters.

State ambassador/spokesperson for chronic disease charity walks and runs: speeches, interviews, fundraising, letters for mass mailing.

Mentor program, for credit, researching infectious disease at local U.

Other typical EC's, mission trips, youth group, drama, etc.

All her schools are different but have this in common: engaged, intelligent students who still are into having fun. Participation in intramurals. Opportunity to do things OUTSIDE. Loves to run, hike, x/c ski, bike, sail. She needs to access the outdoors everyday. Not afraid of weather, but nothing too hot, please! Doesn't seem keen on anything too small, either.

Flagship U at Madison is a beloved safety.

Any ideas? You all know so much!

By Calmdownmom (Calmdownmom) on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 03:14 pm: Edit

Sorry! Please add! Some kind of Bio major--premed in mind--but loves liberal arts tto.

By Marite (Marite) on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 03:19 pm: Edit

Sounds like she could do very well at Williams or Wellesley.

By Mini (Mini) on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 03:30 pm: Edit

Wellesley? outdoors? Nice campus, of course. Guess one could, but it wouldn't crack my top 50.

Bard is gorgeous, and right on the Hudson, and has lots of individual attention for bio majors. But it is small. Mount Holyoke is very beautiful and has lots to do outdoors, and is much larger. Middlebury and Colby are in prime ski country. Whitman students are very much outdoor types, with lots of biking and hiking (and access to skiing as well).

By Interesteddad (Interesteddad) on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 03:38 pm: Edit

Sounds like a Williams candidate.

Just one minor correction. Biology (and all pre-med courses) are part of a liberal arts curriculum. "Liberal arts" means a broad-based education including humanities, social sciences, and hard sciences as opposed to vocational training that focuses exclusively on one narrow field.

By Calmdownmom (Calmdownmom) on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 03:44 pm: Edit

InterestedDad: Sorry, to clarify: at some of the larger schools she has looked at, you have the option of a bio major in the college of liberal arts OR in, as at WI and Cornell, the College of Ag & Life Sciences.

By Sokkermom (Sokkermom) on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 03:59 pm: Edit

Other Ideas:

Dartmouth
Colgate

By Mini (Mini) on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 04:06 pm: Edit

Really does seem like a Williams person. Will she do "the" sport in college? What sport is it? If it is one offered at Williams, she should contact the coach.

By Mini (Mini) on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 04:39 pm: Edit

By the way - you are in Wisconsin. Would Lawrence not fit the bill? (I don't know a lot, other than having met several happy science students.)

By Interesteddad (Interesteddad) on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 04:44 pm: Edit

>> at some of the larger schools she has looked at, you have the option of a bio major in the college of liberal arts OR in, as at WI and Cornell, the College of Ag & Life Sciences.

That may or may not be a meaningful distinction. It could well be a matter of institutional semantics, where certain departments are placed in different "colleges". However, the end result could still be a "liberal arts" education.

As a general philosophy, I don't really like schools that force a 17 year old kid into a commitment to one "college" or one area of concentration. It was interesting that all five of the senior students at the parents forum for my daughter's college initially enrolled with the firm intention of being exclusively science/pre-med. Of the five, only one had remained exclusively focused in that area. All five strongly recommended that students sample a range of fields early in their college career because what they thing at age 17 may change radically.

By Marite (Marite) on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 04:52 pm: Edit

Mini:

I thought of Wellesley because it is strong in biology and has a lake where one could go sailing.

By Palomino (Palomino) on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 06:20 pm: Edit

http://outside.away.com/outside/features/200309/200309_college_towns_1.html

By Digmedia (Digmedia) on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 06:20 pm: Edit

Just for fun reading (and to broaden the list of schools to look at), here's a great article: the 40 best colleges for outdoors activities:

http://outside.away.com/outside/features/200309/200309_college_towns_1.html

=

By Digmedia (Digmedia) on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 06:22 pm: Edit

Great minds think alike....

If you look at this article more than two or three times, the site won't let you see it again. Just delete your cookies (or delete the ones from away.com) and you have access again.

By Palomino (Palomino) on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 06:23 pm: Edit

that's totally crazy--we both posted the same link at the same time!! Great minds must think alike...

By Digmedia (Digmedia) on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 06:27 pm: Edit

and if you think that we both posted "great minds...." at exactly the same time, that's even weirder....

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 09:34 pm: Edit

Whitman in Washington state. Lots of outdoorsy activities from rock climbing to skiing plus excellent academics, warm and nuturing faculty. If she loves being outdoors, she might be interested in their unique "semester in the west" program where students and faculty travel the western half of the US together and camp on Indian reservations, in national parks, and other cool sites. Along the way they study environmental science, political science, and English. Overall, Whitman is an excellent school.

By Momrath (Momrath) on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 11:17 pm: Edit

Calmdownmom, My son's at Williams. He's not an athlete, but is very active and outdoorsy. Please let me know if I can provide any specific information. "Engaged, intelligent students who still are into having fun. Participation in intramurals. Opportunity to do things OUTSIDE. Some kind of Bio major--premed in mind--but loves liberal arts too." This is a perfect fit with Williams.

I'm not sure, however, about how small is too small. Most of the LACs that come to mind are in the 1500-2500 student range. Others that were of interest to my son were Amherst, Hamilton, Skidmore, Conn College (the best for sailing), Kenyon.

You've received some good suggestions. Amherst, Williams and Dartmouth are highly selective, so if your daughter is interested in continuing her sport she should contact the coaches.

Welcome to this board and to the wild and wacky world of college admissions! Your name says it all.

By Calmdownmom (Calmdownmom) on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 11:17 pm: Edit

Thanks to all for the advice! Especially the Outside article.

By Cheers (Cheers) on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 03:51 am: Edit

University of Otago, New Zealand

By Voronwe (Voronwe) on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 07:22 am: Edit

Bowdoin. Best LAC sailing in the east because the place they sail is so gorgeous. The number one student activity is the Bowdoin Outing Club. Hiking and, of course, Maine skiing - tons of trips. Not hot - it's Maine - but not as cold as you might think, being fairly south and near the coast.

Truly **excellent** Bio and also Environmental Sciences departments.

Listed in that OUTSIDE article as one of the best college towns!

Yes, Williams would be a great choice, and it's always in the top 3, but harder to get into. Bowdoin is #7 and a wonderful, friendly school with a long, terrific history. My nephew goes there and I wish I had!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page