Timing of it all...

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: Timing of it all...
By Momsdream (Momsdream) on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 11:01 am: Edit

S has decided to apply ED to the school of his dreams....

I understand that we'll hear by 12/15.

Might we hear before 12/15? We have plans to leave the country on the 15th...and not return until the 30th. We would like to know where things stand before we leave.

Also, if son is deferred or rejected in the ED process, that leaves us only a few days to submit the remainder of the aps.

How is this normally handled? Should we hold off on submittng any other apps until we hear about ED? (But, have them at the ready...in envelopes...ready to go). OR, should we send apps to all potential schools, along with ED, and just be done....

So, in a nutshell, my question:

When applying ED, do you send all other apps BEFORE hearing from the ED school, or after?

By Garland (Garland) on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 11:47 am: Edit

A lot of schools seem to generically announce the fifteenth as the date, then actually choose an earlier date as the time gets closer. For my S, it was the 11th. Also, he was notified by email, so if you have access when you go away, you will probably be able to find out that way, depending on the school.

By Achat (Achat) on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 11:48 am: Edit

We heard on 12/13 last year because it was a Friday and 12/15 was Sunday. So the admissions office thought of putting the students out of their misery by notifying earlier via the website. The mail came the following week.

By Marite (Marite) on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 11:59 am: Edit

It really depends. I remember that MIT notified students quite late, and by snail mail.

By Mom2003 (Mom2003) on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 12:00 pm: Edit

Momsdream, I think we also heard a couple of days early.

You can send your other apps before hearing from ED school if you don't mind paying extra application fees. Otherwise you send them after. In any case, he will have to write a withdrawal letter once he accepts the ED offer (assuming good financial aid). But he easily has a month's leeway.

In any case, have the envelopes completed and ready. A lot of kids I know went into some sort of a slump after ED rejection and had to scramble to coplete the apps close to deadline. So it is much better done earlier

By Rhonda63 (Rhonda63) on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 12:19 pm: Edit

I think we heard around the 15th, maybe a day early (it was Saturday, and this was two years ago). That was by snail mail. I know it was available online earlier by a day or two (it may be that the Ivies have a common date like they do for RD, don't remember), but D wanted to wait for the letter and refused to check on line (I was sorely tempted to check for her, but managed to resist).

For RD apps -- D had all the requests for recommendations and transcripts into the HS counselor and teachers (with addressed, stamped envelopes, etc.). She did not send in any apps before hearing, because she hadn't lifted a finger to work on any of them, lol, and also I wouldn't have wanted to pay app fees in case she did get in ED.

She was admitted ED after all, but if she hadn't been, it would have meant two weeks of working on the essays for 8 apps. But it would have been just filling out the apps, all the stuff for recs, etc, was already into the school. It really has to be, b/c winter vacation will start and you can't really dump rec requests on teachers right before Christmas break.

We did not make any plans to go away for Christmas break. That certainly complicates things.

By Cangel (Cangel) on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 01:13 pm: Edit

We have same concern, school closes and we are headed out of town. After consulting with GC, all apps will be either mailed before Dec 15 (ours all have to be turned into the GC's office by Dec 1 anyway, regardless of RD/ED), or sitting in office ready to send. One school waives fees with online apps, so that one's going in ahead of time; 2 are rolling admits done for peace of mind, so they go in ahead of time; 1 or 2 required pre-apps, so the fee had to go in early anyway - so we're only saving about $100.

Our GC assured us, though that this is standard procedure, if everything is ready to go, if goes out on 15-16th, it will be postmarked properly, and the committees can't sit down to read right on Jan 3 or what ever - they are unpacking and sorting for at least a week.
My worry about this is she has an ED and a back-up EdII school, getting that EDII school in on time is what bothers me!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page