Susan - Rain predicted in NYC tomorrow

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: Susan - Rain predicted in NYC tomorrow
By Achat (Achat) on Wednesday, September 08, 2004 - 10:07 pm: Edit

Sorry, if this is not related directly to college admissions but Susan, if you are reading this, weather forecast says 12-24 more hours of rain here. And 80% chance of rain at least all morning.

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Wednesday, September 08, 2004 - 10:18 pm: Edit

Yes, it was raining so heavily in NYC today that the subway system was affected because of flooding. My mom and sister were very upset about it.

By Achat (Achat) on Wednesday, September 08, 2004 - 10:24 pm: Edit

Yup, N, A, C, E lines all affected. Roads clogged with water. Not a good time to come to the city.

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Wednesday, September 08, 2004 - 11:08 pm: Edit

Achat, thanks, I responded on a different thread. We are not using the subways so I think we will be ok. As you know, we arrive in Penn Station and either taxi or walk to 37th and 5th ave. , do the appointment, and leave again. I am more concerned with my driving up here in the heavy rain predicted on country roads, plus late at night tomorrow night. But if it is mostly subways affected in NYC, then I should be ok. I will call ahead at the half way point to be sure. Thanks for thinking and looking out for us. My D has college app stuff to do on this long trip, fun!
Susan

By Achat (Achat) on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 08:09 am: Edit

Maybe you are out of the house by now but it's much better today. The streets are not clogged with water either.

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 01:53 am: Edit

Achat, hey! Yep, I was out of the house before you posted that message and got home at 1 AM tonight (or is it this morning?).

I was shocked when I got to NYC and not only was there never a mere drop of rain but the sky was blue and it was HOT. I thought for sure it would be raining cats and dogs as predicted!

It did rain off and on but not hard on my drive to Albany and that was it. Things went pretty smoothly. Actually, cause of your help, I realized we could walk to the appointment and we did and got there on time. The session went well and took an hour. Then my D basically had one hour free in NYC, not that we could really go anywhere in that amount of time, though she had ideas, believe me. So, instead, since we had passed all these stores she would like on our walk to her appointment, we walked back to Penn Station via 34th Street and she did.....what else? a little clothes shopping at a store they do not have in VT.

When we got to Penn Station, we picked up a take out meal at a our favorite place there to where we always do that, and then noticed that the two trains that were to have gone to Albany earlier than our 5:45 PM one, were both delayed and so there was a huge crowd of people from those two trains plus the one we were going to take, all waiting in the humid station, not knowing what would happen. They got two trains and we left a half hour late but it also took an additional extra half hour to make it to Albany. Then I had the 3 1/4 hour drive late at night. At least there was no rain or bad weather, except one stretch of a mile over a mountain where I was in dense fog. It has been a very long day but thank you for your friendly help! It sure was a long way to go roundtrip in one day for a one hour appointment but my D reminded me that we had gone that far in the past for a ten minute audition. I recall the first time I did that with her and thought to myself, who is so nuts to travel six hours each way for a mere ten min. appointment? But then she got cast and did that job for three years now and again and so, go figure.

Susan

By Achat (Achat) on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 08:26 am: Edit

Susan, glad you reached back safe. It was very humid but did not rain, thank God. The mountain fog sounds scary.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page