Westmont College-Kelly1

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: Westmont College-Kelly1
By Mom60 (Mom60) on Wednesday, September 08, 2004 - 12:54 pm: Edit

Kelly-
To answer your questions regarding Westmont. I don't know how much you know already know about the school so I will tell you everything I know.

It is a small liberal arts school in Montecito California. Momtecito is a wealthy part of Santa Barbara. The school is located in a residential area and is surrounded by many large estates. The area is a bit of a canyon so you have that influence in the landscape and climate. It has many oak trees and can get quite hot in the summer months. Since it is in a canyon you do not have the marine element that UCSB has. You could probably walk to some shopping but it would be quite a hike. I think Westmont runs shuttles into town( I am not 100% sure on that though). Freshman and Soph are required to live on campus and freshman are not allowed to have cars.
The students I have met who go there are for the most part extremely bright but religious. They seem to love the school and love their studies. Many of the local students that I know who attend probably could have gone to a more prestigious school but attending a Christian school was important to them. I would say that the school is not diverse but I think that they are working on that. I know that the students have close relationships with their professors and invite them into their homes. I have a friend whose husband is a prof. there and they often have students to their home on friday evenings for shabbat dinner.
The girls that I have met have been lovely sweet young women maybe a bit naive that I was always comfortable leaving my children with. Many were engaged to be married by the end of their 4 years at Westmont.
In summary I would characterize the student body as born again Christians with a California feel. Think guitar services and surfer guys. I know that is a generalization. What I am trying to say is that though the students are religious they are not restrictive. For the most part unless you talk to them they look like college kids on most other Ca. campuses.
Hope this helps.

By Kelly1 (Kelly1) on Wednesday, September 08, 2004 - 01:03 pm: Edit

Thanks! It was very helpful.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page