Recommendations for Computer Engineering Schools versus Comp

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: Recommendations for Computer Engineering Schools versus Comp
By Lyme (Lyme) on Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 08:18 pm: Edit

S very strong background in computers, math, sciences; interested in artificial intelligence and has been working for a year+ on developing an advanced bot (something more than canned responses), writes software and fixes computer problems all over town/schools. Gr 9 & 10 had poor grades due to a bad school environment; but new school for Gr 11 has been A's & B's. Volunteers at computer support center. Still places like Cal Tech, etc., seem out of reach for undergraduate work. Can you recommend schools he might consider (we live in the Mid Atlantic states)?
On the list so far (no particular order as we are just starting....):
Univ Maryland
Virginia Tech
Ohio Wesleyan
Loyola College
Bucknell
Drexel
Lehigh
Lafayette
Case Western Reserve
George Mason U
Would appreciate your comments -- Thanks!

By Bookworm (Bookworm) on Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 08:26 pm: Edit

WHY NOT CARNIGIE MELLON? (sorry for caps). They have separate schools, sch for computer science is different from eng. They have ongoing AI stuff

By Marite (Marite) on Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 08:32 pm: Edit

Georgia Tech.

By Lyme (Lyme) on Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 08:41 pm: Edit

Thanks so much for your speedy responses -- do you know what kind of a.i. they write? and is this something an undergrad student can study early on? And would you know if these are HUGE programs?

By Bookworm (Bookworm) on Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 08:51 pm: Edit

At frosh weekend, they spent a lot of time talking about AI and their bots, demonstrating the range of the field. The computer sci school is small, I think about 100 admittees per year. I'd suggest your son look in their catalogue, and e-mail one of the professors. I cannot recall name of one who spoke of the AI program, but he was young and most personable.

By Cheers (Cheers) on Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 09:52 pm: Edit

University of Edinburgh for AI. Top AI program. UK schools look more to SAT and junior and senior grades for specialty.
http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/undergraduate/asearch/course.php?ucas=GG47

http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/undergraduate/finance_costs/ugoverseasfees.html

http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/accommodation/rent.html

If S is interested, I can give him email of friend who is doing program now--and is on intern leave with Sun at the moment.

By Dmd77 (Dmd77) on Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 10:57 pm: Edit

Don't write off MIT. It's not true that you have to have perfect grades to get in there. You don't give SAT scores, so I don't know if those are in line with MIT's. It might be a longshot, but MIT likes students who've done big projects on their own. And I know for sure that they are capable of ignoring poor 9th grade grades. (My son's 9th grade performance was mediocre, to use the nicest possible word that comes to mind, and he still got in. Good SAT scores though.)

Renssellaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) has an excellent program in computer engineering. (My H went there and we had the pleasure of a visit from the Dean of Engineering a few years ago. I was impressed.) Several former students are at RPI and appear to be learning a lot and enjoying themselves, despite it being possibly one of the ugliest campuses in the east.

By Lyme (Lyme) on Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 11:56 pm: Edit

Thanks, Dmd77, for your encouragement. My S will take the SATs first time this fall (he took the PSATs Oct. 2003); he's very focused on what he wants to study (perhaps too focused?), and we've been advised to explore computer engineering programs rather than computer science programs. As to SAT scores, I've read messages posted for other discussions that applicants definitely need scores over 1200s (and even higher is preferred) to enter engineering programs, and S should meet that criteria based on scores of over a year ago. As newcomers to this process, we welcome all recommendations, suggestions, comments, etc. -- thank you!

By Backhandgrip (Backhandgrip) on Wednesday, September 08, 2004 - 01:44 am: Edit

Keep in mind excellent math and physics grades are needed for computer engineering.Florida Tech also, nice environment and plenty of tech jobs on the Florida coast .

By Originaloog (Originaloog) on Wednesday, September 08, 2004 - 11:33 am: Edit

If your son is interested in AI, look into Rensselaer's Minds and Machines program. It is very unique ad geared toward AI. My son is in the program opting for the dual CompSci-Psych dual major. The M&M intro course has a lecture with guest speakers from the likes of JHU, Princeton, Williams etc and has the student robot rodeo on the final day of leture.

ALSO, VERY IMPORTANT,check the RPI web site and see if your son's HS awards the Rensselaer Medal. If so have him talk to his GC about being cosidered for it if RPI is high on his list of choices. My son did this and has a $15k/yr scholarship as a result.

Our son is loving his first few weeks at the "Tute". It has a wonderful frosh orietation that seems to have made it easy to make new friends and adjust to college life.

While the campus is not Princetonesque, I don't think is is the ugliest in the NE. I have been to MIT, Case and CMU numerous times and visited Binghamton, NYU, BU and Northeastern. Aesthetically, RPI is as good or better than those. Our son wasn't influenced by that anyway.

By Lyme (Lyme) on Wednesday, September 08, 2004 - 11:53 pm: Edit

Again, my thanks for your sharing from your son's experience, Originaloog, and to you, Backhandgrip, for suggesting another program to explore, Florida Tech. What makes Florida Tech a stand-out? Course of study? Faculty?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page