Semi Final List-Imput Welcomed

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: Semi Final List-Imput Welcomed
By Arizonamom (Arizonamom) on Monday, September 06, 2004 - 08:29 pm: Edit

Posted on college selection board but did not get much response,My D is looking for a small/midsized school ,prefer southwest but not a given(has passed on midwest schools. To get an idea of her likes she loved Redlands, Claremont McKenna, disliked USC and Pitzer as well as Occidental.She loves outdoor activities, is quite athletic but doesn't want to be isolated.
Major-psychology,minor biology and spanish goal-masters program in Occupational Therapy
Stats A- average with mostly honors, 3 AP's, lots of leadership, team captain varsity member of 2 teams for 3 years, started her own club 2 years ago which has taken off, student government, on many committees at school, tons of pediatric volunteer hours, Lifeguard ,teaches water aerobic Poor test taker 1220 SAT, 27 ACT retaking but has been too busy to study much? hmmm(source of conflict) Current List:
University of Redland
University of San Diego
Willamette
Trinity University
Scripps
Claremont-McKenna-major reach
Pepperdine-reach
5 Yr bachelor/masters programs(saves 1 yr of school pros and cons)
St. Louis University
Univ of Puget Sound(one of her first choices)
Elizabethtown(Pa)
Pacific University
Other Contenders:
Santa Clara
St. Mary's
Chapman|
Southwestern(actually I am more interested then her)
Main Problem is we probably could not pay more then 20,000 yr room and board with 2 in college and that will be a stretch. Are there some we haven't thought of? The list is long ,should we cut one out? My feel is that Pepperdine will not give aid. She loves being near the ocean, being a desert rat can do that! She would like to add Santa Clara but I have heard they are not good with aid. Is that accurate? All and any thoughts would be helpful.

By Mom60 (Mom60) on Monday, September 06, 2004 - 09:20 pm: Edit

If she doesn't mine the religious aspect of Pepperdine she might look into Westmont College. Westmont is a great school in Montecito (Santa Barbara) but the student body though lovely sweet kids tend to be born again christians.

By Robyrm (Robyrm) on Monday, September 06, 2004 - 09:29 pm: Edit

The girl I know at Southwestern describes a significant sorority scene and lots of "girl intrigue" (this might be because of her agenda)...but loves her classes and the school environment in general. She got in with SAT's lower than your daughter's. What about USF..I think it have a very strong psychology program- and it might even be generous with merit aid.

By Bookworm (Bookworm) on Monday, September 06, 2004 - 09:37 pm: Edit

U of New Mexico in albuquerque; they have OT and MBA. Knew someone who went there years ago

By Cheers (Cheers) on Monday, September 06, 2004 - 09:54 pm: Edit

Left field for an adventurer:
University of Canterbury in New Zealand. About $18K including Room and board, set in some of the most astounding landscape on the face of the earth, close to the ocean and skiing and hiking trails she could only drool over in the US. Bachelor's degree in three years. Heaps of Americans doing GAP year programs there, loving it.
http://www.canterbury.ac.nz/intstud/costs/tuition2005.shtml
http://www.canterbury.ac.nz/intstud/costs/living.shtml

By Bettina (Bettina) on Monday, September 06, 2004 - 10:06 pm: Edit

According to dd's GC, these are some schools that are selective LAC's that do not focus on SAT scores as much:

Ptizer, Occidental, U of Puget Sound, Lewis & Clark, Willamette U, St John's NM --others are on list but get farther away.

My guess is that she will get offered merit at Redlands. I don't know about the cost of those schools, but Rice in Texas is always mentioned as a good bargain.

By Anxiousmom (Anxiousmom) on Monday, September 06, 2004 - 10:16 pm: Edit

Bettina: Rice IS a good bargain, but would be a major reach for this girl due to SAT scores. From USNWR Rice 25%-75% SATs are 1330-1530. Acceptance rate is 24% and casual students do not apply. Most of the kids with SATs below 1330 are recruited athletes....

By Arizonamom (Arizonamom) on Monday, September 06, 2004 - 10:22 pm: Edit

I think the Born Again focus would not be her but Pepperdine would be a good fit. I just wasn't sure if they give much finaid. New Zealand sounds wonderful, but I will not bring it up selfish mom that I am,It is too far .My husband is still mourning my son in Pomona which is only 7 hrs. Thank you Bettina. She will be thrilled about Puget Sound, Willamette not having an SAT focus. She truly feels her scores will not go up nomatter what she does as she did study before and she still did not do well. It is hard to get through to her that it may make a big difference. I have heard mixed things about Lewis and Clark. She did not like Pitzer, is Lewis and Clark a similar atmosphere to Pitzer. I have heard that Southwestern gives good aid and it sounds like a good fit. She for some reason is not excited about Texas but that is what my son had said until he visited Trinity. It is hard to know how much to push. Bookworm, we looked at info on U of New Mexico but I thought it was just a masters OT program which could work after undergrad school. Do you know if they have a 5 yr track. Sometimes they just don't advertise it. WoW, Thanks so much to everyone.This is helpful. Most of these schools have an EA Nov 1 deadline so she needs to get the list together soon!

By Bookworm (Bookworm) on Monday, September 06, 2004 - 10:30 pm: Edit

Arizonam
20 years ago, it was MA in OT that my friend went for. Check their website. Personally, I love New Mexico

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 01:01 pm: Edit

ARizonamom - Have you looked into the combined masters/bachelor's programs at Boston U?

By Kelly1 (Kelly1) on Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 07:17 pm: Edit

Mom60,

Please tell me more about Westmont college - academics, students, campus etc. It is hard to find information/discussion about that college.

Thanks.

By Arizonamom (Arizonamom) on Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 07:19 pm: Edit

Good point Carolyn-that may be a reach as well but it may work-she for some reason is not keen on BU or Univ. New Hampshire, and Quinnipiac all 5 yr. programs in New England but would love to go to New York-who can figure. We actually have tons of relatives in the Boston area so I would feel OK about it. Her preference is for warm weather as she does a lot of outdoor sports, although she does love to snowboard. My other question is if the aid at BU is attached mainly to merit. She would be at the low end of acceptances so may not get money. Does anyone know more about that

By Mom60 (Mom60) on Wednesday, September 08, 2004 - 12:29 pm: Edit

Kelly1 I will make a post regarding Westmont.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Wednesday, September 08, 2004 - 01:20 pm: Edit

Arizonamom - Boston U has fairly decent need-based financial aid. But it is a very expensive school to begin with so many folks seem to be disappointed with their aid packages there. So, if she's not thrilled with it, guess you might not want to push it. I wouldn't say BU is a reach for your daughter myself, more of a match.

By Desrtswimer (Desrtswimer) on Wednesday, September 08, 2004 - 03:56 pm: Edit

Arizonamom,

I am from arizona also, and one of my good friends is going to Pepperdine.

She is a church-going christian but not born-again type and says that pepperdine can be whatever you want it to be, churchy or not.

However, you are right about the aid. her family does not make much money, and she is ending up coming out of pepperdine with 40,000 plus in loans. She thinks this is worth it, I am hesitant to believe that. There are many other good schools that offer great financial aid that you might want to look at.

As pepperdine is NOT single choice early action, you can always apply EA and see what happens. Just be careful to warn your daughter that the aid may not be enough for her. It really depends on the families situation and one isolated incident is not enough to base your decision. Just wanted to share my experience with you!

By Arizonamom (Arizonamom) on Wednesday, September 08, 2004 - 09:32 pm: Edit

Thanks desert swimmer and Carolyn. Pepperdine is in such a beautiful location, their track is on a cliff overlooking the ocean, so it may be worth a try. If they give no aid we won't have her visit so it won't be such an issue. BU seems so far as well but I will see what she thinks-they do have a good OT program. We are actually very glad my son is only 7 hrs away although initially I encouraged him to apply anywhere in the country. I am glad his choice ended up close enough for us to go out and see his meets periodically.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page