Junior Statesman or G-town Int'l Rel. Program

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: Junior Statesman or G-town Int'l Rel. Program
By Bballplayer (Bballplayer) on Monday, September 06, 2004 - 04:31 pm: Edit

Which is better

By Cheers (Cheers) on Monday, September 06, 2004 - 07:41 pm: Edit

For what?

By Robyrm (Robyrm) on Monday, September 06, 2004 - 07:47 pm: Edit

I have no idea about Jr. Statesman. Son did Georgetown IR this summer. He enjoyed being in Georgetown for the limited contact he had with the area. He thought the lectures were great- stimulating, excellent content. He liked the other students, but said they had varying personal committments to the program and that many seemed to be there because their parents insisted. He thought the simulation experience left something to be desired in part because of the varying interest levels and experience of the participants. He has a lot of MUN experience and it is his passion. Overall, I am sure he would recommend the program, but he would have preferred something a bit more intense or challenging in terms of the simulation I think.

By Ilcapo (Ilcapo) on Monday, September 06, 2004 - 09:13 pm: Edit

Definately Georgetown IR - Junior Statesmen = annoying kids who think that by taking part in the program they are guaranteed to be accepted at Harvard.

By Fredmurtz2 (Fredmurtz2) on Monday, September 06, 2004 - 10:48 pm: Edit

Why not Gtown's JSA? Granted there is an element Ilcapo speaks of, but I don't know why it would be different at GT's IR

By Aparent4 (Aparent4) on Monday, September 06, 2004 - 10:54 pm: Edit

My d did Gtown JSA and loved every minute. There is an excellent constitutional law course, lots of opportunities for political debate, and many students who are there for all the right reasons. If you are interested in strictly an international relations experience, then Gtown's IR is probably the way to go. But if you are interested in U.S. public policy and the Constitution, then JSA is a wonderful program. Keep in mind that the JSA program has "legs;" you can come back to your hs and use what you learn to either start or reinvigorate your local JSA chapter, and then be involved in debates all year both on the hs and regional levels.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page