Is this feasible?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: Is this feasible?
By Ilcapo (Ilcapo) on Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 01:00 am: Edit

So, as most of you know, I am taking 27 credits this year from fall and spring combined. I have spoken to adcoms at all of my schools and they have all told me to apply as a freshman, as I am also taking 2 courses at HS.

My question is, if I get rejected as a freshman in April, could I then apply as a transfer so long as I meet deadlines (May 1st usually??)

By Backhandgrip (Backhandgrip) on Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 09:36 am: Edit

Yes, I would try that. And when you apply as a transfer , apply to enter during the summer.We are advised that for the large state U. there is less competition to enter during the summer.Ask about this with your counselor.

By Marite (Marite) on Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 10:12 am: Edit

Ilcapo:

It is much harder to transfer into selective schools than to be admitted as a freshman (just do the math). So, presumably, you could transfer, but the likelihood that you would be able to transfer into colleges that rejected you in April or into colleges of similar caliber is slim to non-existent.

More to the point, Ilcapo. This is an absolutely worse case scenario. You are bright and resourceful. Choose the colleges to apply to carefully, with a mix of reaches, matches and safeties. The likelihood that you will be rejected everywhere is just as slim. Do your best and keep your spirits up.

By Ilcapo (Ilcapo) on Monday, September 06, 2004 - 12:39 am: Edit

Ha, I'll try my best -

This definately would be a worst case scenario and/or a random 60 dollar reach.

If I happen to get a 4.0 or something remotely high, I might try applying to a school I have always regarded as impossible (i.e. hyps), of course I am very aware that getting in as a transfer to those schools usually requires something truly interesting, and alot more than just high grades and stats.

I'm certainly planning on going in as a frosh, especially becaues I love my safety.

By Mini (Mini) on Monday, September 06, 2004 - 11:41 am: Edit

My d. had 66 credits when she applied. Threw them all away and entered as a first-year (there are no "freshman" a Smith.)

If you love your safety, you don't have anything to worry about. The safety is the most important school on the whole list.

By Aparent4 (Aparent4) on Monday, September 06, 2004 - 11:45 am: Edit

Ilcapo, sounds as though you're taking regular college courses, but know that many kids come in with a slew of AP courses and don't choose to, or aren't allowed to, get much in the way of advanced credit or standing at top schools unless they are many years ahead of themselves (I'm thinking of students like Marite's s). Taking college-level courses, unless a student is at a truly outstanding secondary school, seems to be the only way to get a decent hs education these days.

By Alwaysamom (Alwaysamom) on Monday, September 06, 2004 - 11:46 am: Edit

Ilcapo, I think you'll have to inquire as to your list of schools' policies on this. I know that a friend of my D had a similar situation with NYU and she was not permitted to apply as a transfer. Here's the way their adcoms describe the requirements:

If you graduated early, have a diploma, and are currently earning college credits, then you'd be considered a transfer applicant. If you are supplementing the offerings of your high school with some course work at a local college or university and will be getting your diploma this May or June, then you would be considered an incoming freshman. Students who have yet to get their high school diploma may transfer up to 32 credits for advanced standing at NYU. These credits may be from a college or university in a course in which a B or higher was earned, or from the AP examinations with a score of 4 or 5. Please note that NYU does not give credit for the following AP examinations: English Language and Music Theory.

By Ilcapo (Ilcapo) on Monday, September 06, 2004 - 11:55 am: Edit

NYU's policy actually seems to make sense. I wish other schools had as clear guidelines.

Anyway, my clear intention is to go in as a freshman just so that I can make sure I have the "quintessential college experience"...meaning freshman orientation, first year seminars, all that good stuff.

I would only go in as a transfer if it was a last resort.

I am hoping, however, that my credits will place me out of the intro classes, and I'm assuming they will.

By Marite (Marite) on Monday, September 06, 2004 - 10:50 pm: Edit

Ilcapo:

There is a difference between getting credit and getting placed into more advanced classes. Some colleges allow students who have achieved the appropriate scores on a certain number of AP exams to achieve Advanced Standing (i.e., sophomore standing). This allows students to graduate in 3 rather than 4 years. Harvard requires scores of 5 on 4 APs on a list of approved courses. Princeton requires scores of 5 on some APs, at least 4s on some others, and it also stipulates that the APs must be in 3 different areas. MIT does not give credit for Chemistry but is okay with AP-Biology. Another school (Williams?) does not give credit for AP-Biology but does for AP-Chemistry. As you can see, each institution has its own policies regarding the granting of credit for APs.

Then there are some schools that will not allow students to achieve Advanced STanding no matter how many APs the student took. However, these schools do allow students to place out of intro classes.

My S will enter college as a freshman with the idea of spending 4 years in college. He will still have to take the required number of courses in general education and in his intended major(s), but the courses will be somewhat more advanced than for most other students with the same major. He may have to take a placement exam to show proficiency if the catalog description and the syllabi of the courses he has already are not sufficient. Perhaps a short interview with the DUS of his department will be enough.

By Ilcapo (Ilcapo) on Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 12:25 am: Edit

Marite-

My intentions seem to be the same as your sons, except maybe for the Gen Ed part of it all. If I can take Bio 101 at Stony Brook now, if a school requires 1 science distribution credit, I'm hoping that will fulfill it.

Once again, colleges seem subjective in that regard, though I did email a few adcoms/dept chairs at smaller schools and they seemed much more helpful than those at the larger institutions (even at Yale, the lady was not the nicest lol)

Trinity, for example, told me that I could pick and choose the credits I want to transfer. Meaning if I want to graduate in 3 years, fine, if not, fine. She also said that maybe it would be a good idea to "take junior year off", get a job to earn money for grad school, then graduate with my class, if you get what I mean.

However I think the courses will come in handy most if I ever need to transfer, making the whole "graduate in 4 years" dillema easier. Or if I choose to study abroad for an entire year, it might not be such a detriment to grad school applications if I have the same amount of "regular" credits as the other applicants.

We shall see!

By the way, I love my courses at Stony Brook!

By Tlaktan (Tlaktan) on Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 01:05 am: Edit

If you're applying EA, since your Fresh-Junior years come into play and those only, what would it look like taking 7 College Courses in 1 year? Academic suicide?

By Ilcapo (Ilcapo) on Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 03:25 am: Edit

huh?

By Tlaktan (Tlaktan) on Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 04:00 am: Edit

It's a separate question, I should mention, sorry. It's sorta thread hijack but it's in conjunction with what you said so I felt it was proper to throw it in.. Sorry once again. :-D

By Ilcapo (Ilcapo) on Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 11:15 am: Edit

hahah wait im still confused!
Explain please

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page