Denison: academics, partying or both?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: Denison: academics, partying or both?
By Mwlgal (Mwlgal) on Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 05:23 pm: Edit

A question for all familiar with Denison in Ohio. My son is interested (1200/27, 3.7. good ec)and I have been told that the admin. has been making a great effort to take on a more academic focus in an effort to spruce up their image. Is this reality or fiction? My problem is that I've got my own impression (not founded on much more than a boomer's memory from the '70s)and it's that Denison is a party hardy, Greek dominated place with lots of rich kids - not much focus on academics. Am I out of line? Please fill me in on what could be a good place for my s. I'm well aware that most colleges have a drinking culture - it's just that we've already been dealing with this issue in hs, and I want to have an idea of what he could be getting into. Thanks

By Celebrian23 (Celebrian23) on Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 05:52 pm: Edit

denison is VERY different now, it's the 1st or 2nd best ohio college, academically it's much sought after, they have a great writing and politics major (i don't know about any other majors) and greek life is not big at all, it's definetely worth looking into

By Jenniferpa (Jenniferpa) on Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 06:33 pm: Edit

I don't have personal experience of this BUT my daughter's oral surgeon's daughter (if that makes sense) went to Denison in 2001, and ended up with a really bad alcohol habit, rehab, the works. I have no idea if this was a continuation of high school, or if this was something new. However, the school really worked hard to deal with the problem and her father was very pleased with how supportive they were. I think the academics are much better than they were, and the admin is making a real effort to combat this problem, but like so many schools in the middle of nowhere, drinking is prevalent.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page