Hurrican francis

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: Hurrican francis
By Bookworm (Bookworm) on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 09:24 am: Edit

Spent hours with S yesterday preparing for storm. Then, late at night, watched "Lost in Translation". I'll miss him.

By Cangel (Cangel) on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 09:53 am: Edit

Is the Uni of Miami or UF in session yet? There are many of us anxious for friends, relatives, children just sent to school, now in the path of this storm. You Bookworm, and all the others are in our prayers. We're still not in the clear here on the upper Gulf Coast.

By Achat (Achat) on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 09:57 am: Edit

Bookworm, you and your family are in our prayers. As are all the residents of the area.

Please do let us know when this passes..

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 10:26 am: Edit

Bookworm, we will be thinking of you. Do let us know, if you can, how it goes. My younger child has a lot of friends in that area whom she knows from her summer program and I believe they have to evacuate and their schools are closed. It is hard to imagine these kinds of events, given where I live, but it does sound like a very anxious time. Take care there!

Susan

By Alongfortheride (Alongfortheride) on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 11:09 am: Edit

Last I heard, Francis was losing a little steam. I hope she tires even more. My daughter came home yesterday telling of a teacher's friend who teaches at a school in Florida that is now on 3 shifts a day because the other schools have been damaged. You've had more than your fair share, and I will keep you all in my prayers as well.

By Bookworm (Bookworm) on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 01:06 pm: Edit

Hospitals basically closed, nursing homes being evacuated, 2.5 Mil people have left, no hotels anywhere, long gas line, went to 5 stores for D batteries, neighbors left with U-Haul. Friend's S from UFl came home for long weekend. Colleges seem to have safe places, since updated after Andrew.
Still, heavy rain is much better than 4 or 5 hurricane. No doubt, many people will suffer serious damage. Lots of supportive neighbors.
Thanks for all your thoughts.

By Coureur (Coureur) on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 04:11 pm: Edit

It's Frances, not Francis - indicating that this hurricane is female rather than male, perhaps acounting for it's fury.

Take care and be safe.

By Bookworm (Bookworm) on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 04:17 pm: Edit

Thanks for correction, Coureur. Also, 'hurricanE". guess just too preoccupied to think abt spelling. These things make me anxious.

By Alongfortheride (Alongfortheride) on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 04:42 pm: Edit

Understandable Bookworm. I have to go to a HS football game this evening. I am looking forward to this game like a root canal, but it pales in comparison to your situation. i just wanted to say again that I will be thinking of you.

By Liek0806 (Liek0806) on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 09:31 pm: Edit

i think it must really suck for kids and parents of kids whose children just went to school over there. i imagine they are scared out of the blue just like how they were scared when 9/11 hit especially for starting out of state freshman at schools like nyu, columbia, etc.

By Liek0806 (Liek0806) on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 09:33 pm: Edit

Isn't there suppose to be a huge earthquake in CALI this upcoming Sunday?

By Lilyemerald (Lilyemerald) on Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 04:08 am: Edit

please say you're joking about that earth quake! I'm in San Francisco! *shudders*

By Kewkiekid (Kewkiekid) on Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 07:27 am: Edit

i've been reading about this earthquake everywhere.

EARTHQUAKES CANNOT BE PREDICTED!!!!!!!!!

so don't freak out, it's not happening.

By Marite (Marite) on Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 07:40 am: Edit

Bookworm and others in FL:

Thinking about you, and about S's summer roommate.

By Debelli (Debelli) on Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 09:48 am: Edit

Here in Miami -we are bored to tears, waiting for this to come, just some wind and little rain at this time - I'm not far from UM, parents live in Coral Gables - this has been downgraded to a Cat 2, winds 105 last I checked (can't bear to watch anymore 24/7 hurricane coverage) We will probably just have the winds and rains here - not uncommon for us here in Miami - if anything, maybe a little street flooding - again, not unusual for Miami.

Kids are probably bored - nothing is open, not even Starbucks! Most of us are getting cabin fever at this time. What a way to spend the Labor Day weekend! Me, I'm cleaning house - nothing much else do to! Now that S has gone off to college, it's time to get rid of lots of his junk!!!!

By Backhandgrip (Backhandgrip) on Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 09:59 am: Edit

Daughter is in Orlando area and there was a lot of damage with Charlie, many, many trees down, wires and power off for several days, and roof shingles off many homes.She is a teacher and they had off one week and two days because of the storm!All that time off will have to be made up! They explained that although daugher's school was not badly damaged, many others were in Orange County.
As all are aware, preparation is important, like obtaining water and ice and board up windows, and buy flashlights instead of candles.Young people do not think of these things.Wires most likely will be down, and have warned daughter not to go out right after the storm.She will be staying at her boyfriend's place. There is this great temptation with young people to go out and see what is going on out there, and also go out for food.Going out to eat in Florida is very big with young people. I'm hoping the lack of gas will keep her in one place.The only people in Orlando area I knew who had shelter problems with Charlie were folks who live in mobile homes, which in fact are big there with seniors.They call them mobile, but they are rather permanent.
Yes, I am also worried.It's not just the storm, it's the amount of rain and accidents how young people won't stay put!

By Backhandgrip (Backhandgrip) on Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 10:08 am: Edit

Florida Institute of Technology is in Melborne.Is that supposed to be a direct hit there?Or is it now U.of Miami?( I don't think those kids could stand not having a restaurant to go to for two days!LOL)

By Backhandgrip (Backhandgrip) on Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 11:26 am: Edit

Another thing I thought of is the retension ponds and canals.Am urging daughter not to drive during the storm as sometimes it is difficult to see the roadway and have heard of insidents where people have drove into retension ponds or canals.

By Backhandgrip (Backhandgrip) on Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 04:46 pm: Edit

News alert; there is a curfew in effect this afternoon and anyone in the Orlando area cannot go on the roads without risking a fine or imprisonment.

By Fredo (Fredo) on Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 06:26 pm: Edit

I just finished talking with my sister. She and her fiance have two houses in Hobe Sound (they bought a new place on the intracoastal that they are fixing up). They say that is pretty much ground zero. They evacuated to my mother's in West Palm Beach - a little better at 10 miles inland. They are going stir crazy but at least they still have power and my mom's place seems to be pretty sturdy. They're not sure about their own houses - they think there might not be roofs! That might not be a bad thing at the new place - when I say fixer upper, I'm being generous. Might be the best thing for it to be destroyed and just start all over. They bought it for the lot on the water anyway. They tell me that water is already at the top of seawalls.

Keep a good thought for my mom, sister and her fiance - and their four dogs and two cats!!

By Backhandgrip (Backhandgrip) on Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 07:44 pm: Edit

Of course, good luck to them.

By Alongfortheride (Alongfortheride) on Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 10:35 pm: Edit

Fredo, isn't it strange how things work out? Mother nature can certainly help with those home projects in the weirdest way. A year and a half ago, an enormous hail storm took out our roof. We had three waves, each a half hour long, of golf ball size hail. The roofs in our neighborhood weren't shot, but the hot Texas sun had taken a toll on them. For the cost of a deductible, everyone had a new roof. (I know premiums ultimately are affected, but the new roof was over $7k.) We also had a small tornado blow away the worn out fences in our old neighborhood. It's kind of like mother nature's urban renewal.

Not to make light at all of things in Florida right now. A new roof was a piece of cake and in no way can compare to a hurricane. I am watching the news and see the storm is still two hours of the coast. Prayers for everyone.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page