Emeraldkitty4: Running Start and AP Exams

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: Emeraldkitty4: Running Start and AP Exams
By Crayon87 (Crayon87) on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 12:49 am: Edit

I read that you worked with community colleges in Seattle. Well, I'm doing part time Running Start in addition to my AP classes at school. I have some questions for you regarding classes at the CC and AP exams. Note: I'm taking the AP exams in addition to the classes for AP AWARDS!!!! My school offers few AP classes. =/

Well, I was wondering if CHE 139 would be enough to prepare me for the AP CHEM exam? Or would I need to take the 140-150-160 sequence and THEN be prepared? I'm up for BIO 101, and that's a given this quarter because I need 2 classes of bio/chem for higher bio classes. BTW, is BIO 101 enough for the AP BIO exam? Do you think it would prepare me for USABO testing too? (BIO 101 fits into fall quarter for me.)

I'm very concerned about the 139 and 140 situation. If I don't take 140 this quarter, I'll have to take it ONLINE in spring quarter and 150 doesn't work for the following quarter since it conflicts with my classes at high school! The only way is if I take 140 this quarter. 150 and 160 would work out for me in the other quarters. SO, if I must take 140, I have 2 weeks to pass the 139 exam. =/

BTW, I CAN'T TAKE CHE 139 THIS QUARTER SINCE IT DOESN'T FIT! I WOULD HAVE TO TAKE IT IN WINTER QUARTER! I DON'T KNOW HOW DIFFICULT 139 IS EITHER!

I'm sorry for the long post! =X

I hope all of that made sense...

By Mini (Mini) on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 01:03 am: Edit

I can help with that, I think. My d. took the entire chem 140 sequence (in Olympa.) Strangely enough, she had to backtrack in studying for the AP exam - chem 140, 150, 160 (which is essentially pre-med/pre-engineering chemistry) was well in advance of what they required on the AP exam, and was somewhat different stuff. You might find Chem 139 perfect for the AP.

Bio 101 will be more than adequate for the AP exam. Just get yourself one of those standard AP study books and go from there.

If you want, you can also piggyback the SAT IIs in those subjects, though you'll have to do more memorization of the usual high school junk.

By Crayon87 (Crayon87) on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 01:15 am: Edit

Thanks for all of your help! :)

By Crayon87 (Crayon87) on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 01:31 am: Edit

Another question:

Would you say that PHY 101 is good enough for the PHYSICS B test?

I was considering doing independent study for physics B in my normal physics class at school but I might be able to have physics 101 this quarter since I'm taking che 139 in the winter.

I don't know if I'm taking the entire physics sequence. If I have the chance, (after priority to the CHE 140-150-160 and BIO 200 sequences, I'll see if I can fit in the rest of physics in my senior year).

Oh and also, I'm taking pre-calculus or MAT 123 this quarter and I'll be in CALC II or MAT 125 in spring quarter. Do you think I have enough math for both AB and BC exams?

Thanks for all of your help!

By Dmd77 (Dmd77) on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 09:11 am: Edit

Go to one of the big bookstores--Borders or B&N--and browse in the prep book section. There are AP prep books that amount to textbooks. Buy them, or just skim them in the store. They will tell you exactly what you need to study.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page