Olympic Reflections

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: Olympic Reflections
By Robyrm (Robyrm) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 04:40 pm: Edit

Well, it is the middle of the night here but I am terribly jet lagged so I just watched the closing ceremonies to the Olympics. I find myself with 2 primary thoughts...First, how many of the medal winning athletes are applying to the same colleges as my son this year ...and Second, having been left behind in the learning of second languages in general, how many US schools are teaching Mandarin?

By Mini (Mini) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 05:17 pm: Edit

Funny - different Olympic reflections in my house. My wife reminds me on occasion that younger d. the gymnast will be applying for college entrance the year after the next Olympics, the worst year for gymnasts, as those training to try to make the Olympic team take a year off, so scholarships are harder. Well, those are the breaks - it will fall out as it will. (Hey, who knows? maybe she'll be one of those taking a year off! Doubt it, but....)

Second reflection: singles synchronized swimming. It's amazing how they can get all those parts of the body working at the same time!

By Cheers (Cheers) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 05:26 pm: Edit

Don't know about the US teaching Mandarin, but my S just returned from 2 months in Beijing and he says the 2008 Olympic construction is well underway and full of razzle dazzle.

Unlike Shanghai and Hong Kong, S reports there are relatively few English speakers in Beijing, but a huge effort is underway to train airport staff and taxi drivers--in English as well as French, German, Spanish etc.

What a colossal effort!

By Robyrm (Robyrm) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 05:33 pm: Edit

Mini...
Singles synchronized swimming...am I missing something? Whom are they synchronizing with?

Cheers..
Same was true in Seoul which I visited just before the Olympics, Taxi drivers were laid off if they couldn't converse in basic English. But, Beijing is just so much more provincial in many ways than Shanghai or HK. The effort will be extraordinary and undoubtedly successful.

By Jyber209 (Jyber209) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 07:07 am: Edit

re teaching of Mandarin:

Our local public school in PA does offer Mandarin as well as an exchange program with a high school in China.

By Backhandgrip (Backhandgrip) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 11:00 am: Edit

What rather bothered me about the Olympics was #1. the way the U.S. was frequently booed. And #1. all those empty seats- if I had known, what a GREAT family vacation that would have been!Opening ceremony was so beautiful on a high def. T.V.. but the crowd was quiet were our large U.S. delegation marched through the arena. That saddened me.I'm really sorry we are held in low esteem in so many places throughout the world.
p.s.(Friend's child is taking a year off from college to study in China.)

By Alongfortheride (Alongfortheride) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 12:24 pm: Edit

A friend of mine is Greek born. Considering the circumstances in Greece right now, the reception of Americans was probably on the generous side. We heard nothing from the US press up until the opening of the games but how unprepared and dangerous the games were going to be. Friend came back from her yearly summer visit with family and was shocked to hear the reports since the venues were ready and the security in place. Also, the U.S., while calling the Greeks allies, arms the Turks to the teeth because of our bases in Turkey - although remember they had to be forced to let us use bases there to launch operations after 9/11. The Turks are a constant presence in the air over Greece in the planes we sold them. There is such uneasiness between the two countries and the Greeks are worried. The war in Cyprus is fresh in the memories of Greeks as many lost family there. Not to mention the Clinton endorsement of the naming of the independent country of Macedonia, which has caused problems for Greece because of their area in the country called Macedonia.

Given all of that, you will receive a warm welcome in Greece - if you leave politics at home. So many Greeks have family in America.

By Ilcapo (Ilcapo) on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 01:18 am: Edit

My personal reflection -

I have taken up diving after being inspired by the female Olympic diver who started her career in college! If she can do it, so can I!

I got enrolled in a "semi-private" lesson program with 5 other kids. Being taught by a former Olympian...for only $300! I think the cost is nothing compared to the fun it will be, and he guarantees that I will have a tape ready to be sent to colleges by December....

the best part though: colleges are desperate for divers, especially D3 schools (Trinity!!! Wesleyan!!!)

By Robyrm (Robyrm) on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 01:21 am: Edit

Clever move, and bound to be fun! My little one is trying to decide between foil and archery, but she has a few years to go!

By Bookworm (Bookworm) on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 07:22 am: Edit

Ilcapo,
good move, and sounds like fun. Volleyball was key for friend's kids

By Mstee (Mstee) on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 01:29 pm: Edit

Ilcapo--are you doing the high diving or the springboard? Just curious. . . I too, looked at the diving this time as something that might be worth trying--not for me, but for my girls. . .

By Ilcapo (Ilcapo) on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 03:04 pm: Edit

Well the program starts you off on springboard, which seems more fun anyways hah...and then after 2 weeks if you want to try platform then you can. Something about the platform freaks me out, I just imagine myself slipping and cracking my chin on the hard concrete then plummeting to my death.

So I'll be sticking to platform.

Honestly, this whole diving thing is my new college aim. First off, it would be great to be on a team at college, immediate friends and something to do. Second, I spoke to the coach at Trinity and Tufts and they explained how the swimming teams CANNOT win a meet unless they have divers who can perform reasonably well. Therefore, divers, even those with little to no experience, are a hot commodity.

Sadly, I'm 6'4...and 6 feet is considered a giant in diving. Oh well, I'll be one of a kind

By Fireflyscout (Fireflyscout) on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 06:39 pm: Edit

I think my daughter would take up diving just so she could meet Alexandre Despatie.

By Alongfortheride (Alongfortheride) on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 08:01 pm: Edit

If I wasn't 47, so would I!!!!

By Cheers (Cheers) on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 06:12 am: Edit

6'-4"? What about rowing? Not a scholarship sport for men but all the top schools need them! And you're the perfect height!

By Backhandgrip (Backhandgrip) on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 07:32 am: Edit

Divison 3 colleges cannot award athletic scholarships.

By Ilcapo (Ilcapo) on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 12:03 am: Edit

Doesn't crew = waking up early in the morning?

People in the crew scene have always told me to check it out, as I am tall annnnnnnnnnd lean, 6'4 140 hah. Metabolism I guess.

Something about crew seemed to rigourous to me, plus, muscles might come in handy.

By Aim78 (Aim78) on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 12:18 am: Edit

6'4" 140?? You must be a stick, man.

By Over30 (Over30) on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 12:41 am: Edit

I have one built like you. He tried fencing but his opponents were all considerably shorter and he kept poking them in the neck! I'm thinking maybe archery or rifle shooting (I don't know what that's called). I always wondered about the people who do that "cross country skiing/shooting a gun" sport. He's probably too 'unmotivated' to want to get in shape for crew, and the early mornings would be a definite problem. He really likes to watch curling, but considering where we live it would be impossible for him to find anyone to curl with. Handball looked like it would be fun. He said if he doesn't quit growing (and there are no signs of that) he could play water polo and not have to tread water.

Diving does sound like fun. Because of liability issues all of the pools within a hundred miles have taken down their boards except the local college, and only their students can use them. I wonder if that's a problem other places?

By Ilcapo (Ilcapo) on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 12:49 am: Edit

Over30 - where are you from...

I am not diving through my high school, but there is a program run independently by a man who somehow gets use of Hofstra University's pool. I have a few sites written down somewhere that give links to diving programs around the country.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page