I Need QUICK Course Selection Help

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: I Need QUICK Course Selection Help
By Ilcapo (Ilcapo) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 03:00 pm: Edit

So I start my college courses tomorrow (all 5 of them!)...and now that I am looking through my Oceanography textbook, it looks incredibly hard :(

First off, is taking Oceanography worth it? Do colleges appreciate the science or will they pass it off as an easy alternative. It does not have a lab, which might be of concern.

The other course that I could take in its place, which would really interest me, is called "Intro to the Carribean Experience". Looking through Wesleyan's course catalog, they have a course that is equivalent. So does Dartmouth. But would this not be a "well respected" course??

AFS 239 - An introduction to the political economy of contemporary Caribbean societies with emphasis on the historical roots of their present underdevelopment.

or
(I know its a higher-level course but it has no prereqs)

English 380 - English Language
A survey of the history of the English language from its Indo-European roots to the present, with particular emphasis on Old and Middle English, as well as Modern English grammar and usage.

The other classes I am taking are:

Intro to Psych
Intro to Soc
Ethics
Int'l Relations

and

AP Calc
IB English
AP Politics

By Backhandgrip (Backhandgrip) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 04:36 pm: Edit

All courses are hard. Memorize the book, just an hour every night, and go to all the classes. Talk to the prof. after class too and get to know him/her. Go to his/her office if you need more help or more explained.
It's all your decision.Starting off with a withdrawal before you have gone to the first class isn't so good.But of course, it's all your decision.Why are you taking 5 college course and all those AP's?Are you in college AND high school?You know what, with that schedule you are going to be VERY busy.It's very heavy.It would be too much for any of my kids.

By Ilcapo (Ilcapo) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 04:54 pm: Edit

Yes, I know I am going to be very busy, which is why I wanted to take a less strenuous course (I am definately not scientifically inclined ap bio=3 ap chem= 2 hahah)

Anyways, yes I'm taking all those courses, but that is OK, I'll survive.

The question is, is Oceanography considered a rigorous course by colleges? Is it well respected?

By Dmd77 (Dmd77) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 05:45 pm: Edit

75% of the world's surface is ocean. Oceanography is indeed a real science, and a fascinating one at that.

By Ilcapo (Ilcapo) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 07:40 pm: Edit

OK one more question......

Can I drop AP Calc AB??

I hate math, really really don't want to take it! But it might look bad to not take a math senior year. Most of my courses are humanities/social or behavioral sciences, so I don't want it to be too lopsided.

Plus, Math is first period, so if I could drop that, it would offer me 42 minutes of much needed sleep :)

Let me know if its gonna kill me or not, I would love to get it off my schedule.

By Marite (Marite) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 08:03 pm: Edit

Not a good idea to drop math altogether, so you may not need AP level Calc.

By Ilcapo (Ilcapo) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 08:40 pm: Edit

I've already taken regular Calculus...:(

Perhaps I could tell colleges that I will take Probability & Statistics or Calculus A in the Spring at college?

By Marite (Marite) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 09:00 pm: Edit

I don't understand what you mean by "regular calculus." The regular sequence is Algebra 1 or Algebra 2, Geometry (they can be reversed) precalculus and AP-Calculus AB or AP-Calculus BC. If you are not going to be a math/science major, then stats is the better choice. Do make sure that you signal to colleges that you will be taking a math course; otherwise, they will think you only took three years. By the way, I think Calculus A is the equivalent of AP-Calc AB.

By Alita (Alita) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 10:24 pm: Edit

Marite-Im not sure about his, but at my school the sequence goes from Precalc GT to either Calc GT or Calc AB AP depending on the grade in precalc gt. all students in regular precalc go on to calc gt (which is essentially regular calculus, they just added gt because its a high level of math) There is not much difference in the two courses, AP calc just moves a bit faster and gets through rotational volume. a side note to Ilcapo-if you dont like using your calculator constantly, dont take stats! its really a course on using your calculator to plug out numbers and then analyzing them...stats has no solid right/wrong answers..Its a politicians mathclass-the answer all depends on how you decide to interpret the data.

By Ilcapo (Ilcapo) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 02:39 am: Edit

Hmm...I like stats more, since im the political NON math/sci type.

Anyways at my school, the "smarter" kids skip precalc and go right into calc from algebra

so if i wrote on my app that i guaranteee that i will take probability/stat at college....would that work?

By Backhandgrip (Backhandgrip) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 02:17 pm: Edit

Just another thing, are you taking all those college classes Fall semester? So are you taking others in the Spring too? If so, you will be a sophmore next year in college. So you will be a transfer student and not a freshman and this with affect any scholarships- meaning you won't be able to qualify for Freshman scholarships.Go to the admissions office of the college you are going to right now and ask if you would qualify for any scholarships right now.Don't talk to a secretary, go to the admissions dean, make an appointment with him.Your SAT 's must be very good that they are admitting you early anyway. When my son went to college early, we just said his SAT score and they said immediately they would give him a merit scholarship.Where are you taking these classes? If it is a community college, don't worry about a poor AP grade of 3, most of the kids never even took AP and you will do just fine- that is if you work hard every day on every class. Also, I still think you have too many classes. You know 15 credits is the max you can take at many COLLEGES, let alone all thos AP's too.

By Ilcapo (Ilcapo) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 09:32 pm: Edit

No no no no no.......I am a high school student. I just happen to be spending the majority of my day at Stony Brook University (all tuition and fees payed for by them). I will be applying as a freshman to college.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page