Soozie-Your daughter applied to...

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: Soozie-Your daughter applied to...
By Encomium (Encomium) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 01:50 pm: Edit

Princeton, right? I'm really confused with their application, and I was wondering what your daughter did. Did she submit a paper or online app? If she submitted online, can you add supplemental things like a typed page of activities/awards, or do you have to use the built-in activities list?

By Backhandgrip (Backhandgrip) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 04:22 pm: Edit

Also Sue, where is your move in day post? Always enjoy your posts and don't know where it is?

By Simba (Simba) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 04:23 pm: Edit

Is Pricenton on-line application available?

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 04:46 pm: Edit

Encomium, Yep, she applied to Princeton. She did not do any online applications. We felt that it would be hard to include things like attached resume or cover letter and just did not do the online bit. So, I cannot truly help you in that regard.

That is some application, huh? Like five essays! She had to write three completely new ones for that application alone and shorten another one used on some other apps. She put a lot into it. We just prefer the paper apps and that is what my other D is going to be doing this fall as well. I recall Princeton being VERY VERY late last fall in getting their applications to the applicants. They said it was held up at the printers, for whatever that is worth. This was one of the final apps my daughter ended up doing. She got waitlisted at Princeton which felt like an accomplishment in itself being that they accepted 8.8% in the RD round and only had a couple hundred on the waitlist. I do not think anyone from our high school has gotten into Princeton yet. Princeton was about fourth or tied for third in her list of preferences so all worked out fine. I wish you all the best in your application process and have good vibes in your case.

Backhandgrip....the reason you have not heard of my drop off sob story (lol) is cause it has not happened yet! I have been packing up my D the last couple of days. Our guest room has her life in it basically right now and now some of it still needs to be packed but she has everything gathered. We are leaving on Tuesday to get to Brown and she has some athletic meeting that night and we are staying in a hotel so that we can arrive bright and early for move in day on Wednesday and will get home late Wednesday night. Leaving younger teen back here as she is in school already. She actually is going to a big audition while we are gone. I have her whole college process to tend to but am in a holding pattern with her til I get back though she put in a little time on her own today in that area. We did a bit during the two weeks she was home this summer and will be in full throttle when I get back from taking the first one.

I keep reading the drop off stories here and cry at each anecdote. I think my husband feels the same way cause this is truly a major change in our lives with our daughter. I won't be left with an empty next like many here as I have the second daughter though now she is only spending one more year at home rather than the expected two as she is graduating high school early. It is not like I won't be busy or anything like that or not like I am worried about my daughter liking college. It is just very sentimental to have this major change in our lives of her no longer living with us or being part of her daily life. She is definitely such a part of my life that it really is a major shift to be sure. I know she will stay in touch but it won't be the same. I can't even imagine the school year without her events to attend! We'll be down to just this one. OK, I better stop now!!!

Susan

By Encomium (Encomium) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 05:50 pm: Edit

Yeah, I'm hoping Princeton comes out with the paper application before the ED deadline. Simba, yes the online is up.

It's really confusing overall.

This year there are 4 essays, 1 500 word, 2 250, and 1 optional.

What's a cover letter for an application?

By Simba (Simba) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 06:20 pm: Edit

what is the link for on-line app? When I go through admissions - there is nothing, only the down load forms.

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 08:32 pm: Edit

Encomium, last year, if I recall, there were four 250 word essays and one optional page resume. That meant five in all! If you want to do a paper app, but they have yet to mail you one (make sure you call to request one), just work off the online one for now and then transfer the information when the time comes on the paper one. I have a kid applying to college this fall too and not all of her apps have arrived yet either, including her ED one.

I meant on the earlier post to mention about the resume thing. I don't recall the Princeton app per se, but usually my daughter wrote on the activity list part of the app, to please see attached activity/award list (resume). IF an app said that even if you attach a resume, still fill out the little chart, she did but only if it required that. But even when she filled out the chart, she still enclosed the fuller more descriptive attached list.

As far as the cover letter, these are not required but my daughter wrote one specific to each application. I can't remember at the moment what she included but it may have been stuff like an overview of her application materials and what was coming under separate cover and when she sent test scores, etc., an intro. to herself, including her enthusiasm for the college. If there was not a "why X college" required statement or essay, then she included such a "mini essay" within her cover letter that spoke specifically as to why this college was a good match for her, what she had done and learned on her campus visit, and who she spoke to and what things she hoped to be involved with if admitted there, etc. She ended the letter quite enthusiastically as well. The cover letter personalized her package and also was an opportunity to speak to why she wanted to attend that school and also let them know of her contacts she had made there on visits and so forth. I recommend doing this.

Good luck, once again!!!

Susan

By Songman (Songman) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 03:40 pm: Edit

Susan,

Hi! Has your daughter decided on a major? If she did not go to Princeton where did she attend?

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 04:14 pm: Edit

Songman, she is heading to Brown TOMORROW!! She will be a freshman. She had preferred Brown over Princeton but not by a lot. She liked all her schools to be honest with ya.

She has an intended major in mind but it is not set in stone. She is thinking of going into architecture. This happens to be a subject that one really does not know for sure that one likes til they study it and it is not a subject in high school. She did a year long independent study with architectural skills and also an internship with an architect, as well as art courses, enough to believe she would like to pursue this and chose colleges that have this major. She happens to like many subjects and wants a liberal arts degree. Therefore, she chose colleges (inc. Brown and Princeton) where an undergraduate majors in architecture like any other major, within a liberal arts degree, as opposed to entering a five year BArch program which is a committment to the field before entering college, as well as a professional degree. Her program (IF she sticks with this intended major), would entail 2 years of graduate school to get a MArch degree, what is often referred to as a 4+2 degree option in architecture. She has some coursework lined up this fall with this intent in mind but also has many subjects she also plans to study.

She chose architecture as it is an integrated subject actually that combines many of her skills/talents/interests....such as math, physics, engineering, problem solving, computers, creative and artistic skills, cultural history, and so on. Who knows if this will be the end result but it is the direction she has for now and did influence her choice of colleges as they had to have this major in a liberal arts setting.That ruled out some other fine schools such as Harvard. She visited architecture departments at each of her colleges and met with faculty and students, and their design studios and seemed to think she would love exploring this field.

Well, her life is all packed up ready to laod into our car tomorrow and we're off!

Susan

By Songman (Songman) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 04:22 pm: Edit

Wow...ok somehow I thought she would major in theatre/musical etc. Maybe I have the other daughter? Good luck tomorrow!

By Rhonda63 (Rhonda63) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 04:48 pm: Edit

Soozie -- have a great time! I hope they have more move-in help for freshman this year than they did last year.

By Proudmama (Proudmama) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 04:52 pm: Edit

When I checked the common app site, Princeton is now listed as accepting the common application. Does this help you at all?

By Encomium (Encomium) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 04:58 pm: Edit

No, it's only more confusing.

Here's this issue: I think since Princeton is using the common app for the first time this year, everything hasn't been seemlessly integrated yet.

Princeton has its own app and a common app w/supplement.

But their supplement is basically the princeton app all over again:

For instance-The Princeton-specific app has 4 essays: 2 250 word ones, 1 500 word one, and 1 option essay with no real word limit.

The common app has 2 essays I believe, 1 500 and 1 250. Then the princeton supplement has EXACTLY the same essay questions as on the princeton-specific app-the same 4 essays, 3 required and one optional.

That means people using the common would write 6 essays, a total of over 2,000 words.

The people using the princeton-specific app would write 4 essays.

That doesn't make sense to me, I mean princeton admissions people are not going to read 750 extra words for people who use the common app, right? Aren't supplements to the common app supposed to be like 1, maybe 2 essays or short answers, not the same application over again?

It's so confusing.

And since I'm applying ED, I want to use the princeton-specific app, but that doesn't seem to be coming.

I would have called earlier but I haven't had time and this confusing only came up this weekend when they were closed. I'll call tomorrow.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page