Xiggi's day has come ...

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: Xiggi's day has come ...
By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 01:55 am: Edit

to finally go test the warm waters of California. Time has really flown by, as it seems only yesterday that I posted a timid message in the parents' forum. Since that day, I've learned a lot by reading everyone's opinions, and let the wisdom and experience sink in.

I have to thank everyone for their patience with me. I am especially thankful to the posters who ,,, disagreed with me, sometimes with passion. I think that trying to figure out the "other side" is one of of the best ways to learn.

I am equally thankful to the posters who opened my eyes about different avenues of higher education such as the LACs. I remember vividly that, 18 months ago, my heart and mind were dead set on attending a school that could be at the antipodes of CMC.

I leave many friends behind, way too many to attempt to name anyone, but I am sure you know who you are! I hope that the next years will be very enjoyable as you experience the joys of the college years. I'll watch from a distance and I won't be a total stranger.

I probably should I have tried to come up with something clever to say, but my well is dry and I'll just end with an old cliché ...

Thanks for the memories et au revoir!

By Tlaktan (Tlaktan) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 01:57 am: Edit

Our waters are hardly warm. Our weather is roasting. Welcome to California, Xiggi!

By Aim78 (Aim78) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 02:03 am: Edit

Job well done Xiggi. What school are you in, pray tell?

By Archermom (Archermom) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 03:05 am: Edit

Welcome to California, Xiggi! I hope you will experience all that you hope for...while our D is doing the same in PA! Best of luck to you...

By Over30 (Over30) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 07:14 am: Edit

Fare thee well, and thanks for all of the knowledge, SAT and otherwise. Happy trails!

By Sybbie719 (Sybbie719) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 09:32 am: Edit

Xiggi,

All the best you you as you begin your new journey. You know you can always come home to us if you ever need a parent's point of view, or some friendly debate. If we ever need to hear the voice of reason, we know where to go.

Check back in with us to let us know how you are doing.

All the best

By Patr1ck (Patr1ck) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 09:34 am: Edit

Good luck Xiggi

By Ndbisme5 (Ndbisme5) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 09:37 am: Edit

luck !

By Achat (Achat) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 09:55 am: Edit

Good luck for your college years, Xiggi!

By Concerneddad (Concerneddad) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 10:39 am: Edit

Good luck Xiggi!

By Lamom (Lamom) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 12:26 pm: Edit

Good luck, I agree it is very warm now. The dorms at CMC are very nice and the trees on campus will shade you. Don't know if you are playing sport but will check for you in the paper anyway.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 03:32 pm: Edit

Good luck, Xiggi. Per our e-mail exchanges, stay in touch. You've been an asset to the boards...I hope you pop in at least now and then.

And may you be happy at an LAC. :)

By Caseyatthebat (Caseyatthebat) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 03:54 pm: Edit

Xig, it's been grand. Best of everything.

By Backhandgrip (Backhandgrip) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 04:18 pm: Edit

Xiggi,your aren't really leaving the forum, are you? I think you could provide us with valuable insight as you are so open to 'the parents'.We would like to hear more about your college experiences, as they may even apply to our own kids and can offer more avenues of communication with them- things we may not be aware of, etc.,. Remember, there are many anguish ridden parents here who NEED more to worry about!!! So, I hope on those long nights when you need a break from studying (or partying) you can provide a thoughtful post! And if needing anything in Phillytown just mention it the forum as I will probably be around more or less for another year or 2 till last two are on their way. Good luck also!

By Optimizerdad (Optimizerdad) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 04:21 pm: Edit

Xiggi:
All the best, you young scamp.

(...oh, and I pity the poor prof who gets into an argument/debate with you, on any topic. You'll grind him/her into the ground with remorseless logic, applied Xiggi_style).

By Elizabeth22 (Elizabeth22) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 04:31 pm: Edit

Aim-

If I remember correctly, he's at Claremont Mckenna. Am I right, Xiggi?

By Coureur (Coureur) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 04:55 pm: Edit

Have fun in Claremont. When you get tired of the heat and smog, come down for a break here in San Diego. It's permanently pleasant here.

Good luck.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 04:57 pm: Edit

Xiggi, I look forward to seeing you accomplish great things over the next four years and beyond. Please come back as often as time allows and don't forget our guestroom in San Diego if you need to get away. Best of luck at Claremont Mckenna - they're going to LOVE you there!
Carolyn

By Mom2003 (Mom2003) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 05:28 pm: Edit

Good luck... not that you need it. I am sure you will make your own.

By Alongfortheride (Alongfortheride) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 05:33 pm: Edit

By Valpal (Valpal) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 06:27 pm: Edit

SNIF, SNIF...

By Ohio_Mom (Ohio_Mom) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 08:01 pm: Edit

Xiggi,
you have a clarity of thought and a courtesy of expression that are rare in this world. As I write this the television coverage on the Greek runner and 1946 Boston Marathon winner Stylianos Kyriakides has just ended; one man can make a difference. I wish you both joy and courage as the years turn.

By Ohio_Mom (Ohio_Mom) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 08:07 pm: Edit

Xiggi,
you have a clarity of thought and a courtesy of expression that are rare in this world. As I write this the television coverage on the Greek runner and 1946 Boston Marathon winner Stylianos Kyriakides has just ended; one man can make a difference. I wish you both joy and courage as the years turn.

By Amylase (Amylase) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 08:54 pm: Edit

good luck and very best wishes to Xiggi!

By Dadx (Dadx) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 09:01 pm: Edit

Xigg

Well done, good luck.

By Tlaktan (Tlaktan) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 04:34 am: Edit

Hey Xiggi, my school can send a few students to CMC every year for a tour and orientation. Of course, choosing between CMC and Bowdoin, I can't miss a free flight of course.

But since CMC is so nearby, I'll swing by one of these days. Great to have you in California! So close to LA, too!

By Idler (Idler) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 09:40 am: Edit

All the best, Xiggi.

By Eadad (Eadad) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 06:24 pm: Edit

Xiggi

All the best from our whole family.

We got P off to UNC on the 18th and all is going well. Loves his classes, lots of friends etc. and what's not to like about UNC or Chapel Hill, especially with a female to male ratio of 60/40?

Drop me an email from time to time.

By Dadofsam (Dadofsam) on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 07:21 pm: Edit

Welcome to California, Xiggi, even though you are in the south and I am in the north.

By Texdad (Texdad) on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 08:29 pm: Edit

Xiggi, I remember your very persuaive case for UT Austin. Part of it involved the time value of money. Did you ever say what changed your mind?

Best of luck.

By Calimom (Calimom) on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 02:08 am: Edit

Hey Xiggi, congrats on your success and welcome to the Golden State!! My daughter is now a freshman at Scripps, and is loving it! I'm sure you will also enjoy CMC and the 5C community. Best wishes!

By Reasonabledad (Reasonabledad) on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 01:35 pm: Edit

Xiggi,

Thank you for all of the excellent posts: our whole family wishes you well!

CMC is a great place: close enough to LA for all of the benefits and far enough to do some serious studying. And don't let the profs off the hook too soon...

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page