Adrienne Rich

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: Adrienne Rich
By Tropicanabanana (Tropicanabanana) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 07:29 pm: Edit

I'm not too familiar with her work. Is she worth meeting?

By Marite (Marite) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 07:44 pm: Edit

Yes. She's a very important poet. Lucky you.

By Mini (Mini) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 09:24 pm: Edit

Do it! Most people would tell you that her best work was in the early 70s, when it was to the heartbeat of the feminist movement around her. But her vision of the world hasn't changed, and she is still a highly regarded craftswoman and visionary.

Just make believe you know nothing about 1970s feminism, and go in with new eyes.

By Aparent4 (Aparent4) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 09:45 pm: Edit

Here, Trop, take a look: http://www.nortonpoets.com/richa.htm
Thanks for posting! I did a double take, surprised to see her name on this board. Let us know how it goes if you feel like it.

By Dmd77 (Dmd77) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 10:12 pm: Edit

Well, she's a wonderful poet, but it's my opinion you shouldn't go unless you're avid about poetry. If you are, great--if you're not, hand off the slot to someone who is.

By Valpal (Valpal) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 11:33 pm: Edit

Lucky you indeed, Tropicana! I've got her book from the mid-seventies: "Diving Into The Wreck". Do take advantage of college sponsored readings of the well regarded poets and writers, even if you haven't yet developed an appreciation for their work. Adrienne Rich is considered a master of contemporary poetry. There are others whose work I appreciate more, but I'd go to a Rich reading in a heartbeat. Please excuse my faulty memory, but which school are you attending?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page