Carpe Diem Winners and their colleges

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: Carpe Diem Winners and their colleges
By Voronwe (Voronwe) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 08:52 pm: Edit

I am also posting this on the kids' board. The Carpe Diem Scholarships ($2500-$5000 per year, renewable with a B+ average) have been announced. Winners include three from Stanford, two from Harvard, two from Georgetown and two from UNC, one each from MIT, Princeton, Emory, NYU,Bowdoin, and also San Diego, WUSTL and Wisconsin. www.carpediemfoundation.org

By Voronwe (Voronwe) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 12:06 pm: Edit

I forgot the reason I mentioned this. This scholarship fits in with something we have discussed repeatedly on this board - the need for money for people who have too much to qualify for free rides as "poor" but not enough to pay full freight. They are specifically geared toward the children of people who give back to the community in the form of public service - in other words, they say preference is given to the children of educators, firefighters, etc. We have often discussed the fact that there are many people who do not want to start their own businesses etc., who contribute to the community in a real nuts-and-bolts kind of way, who are rarely recognized. The scholarships are great because they renew each year - you don't have to reapply.

By Backhandgrip (Backhandgrip) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 07:30 pm: Edit

We will look into it but am sure we don't do enough volunteer work to qualify.There are some incredible people out there helping all the time.Thank you!

By Ausmithe (Ausmithe) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 10:52 pm: Edit

Voronwe
Was your family member selected for a scholarship?

By Simba (Simba) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 11:06 pm: Edit

Isn't there a fee to apply?

By Valpal (Valpal) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 12:53 am: Edit

B+ can be a difficult average to maintain for many students (depending upon which school they attend and the course of study they are pursuing). I wonder how many Cape Diem winners lose their scholarships due to an inability to do so.

By Voronwe (Voronwe) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 06:57 am: Edit

Ausmithe - a relative won in a previous year (not a child of mine). There was a $14 fee but the student has been maintaining an A average and if it continues, the total won will be $20,000 - well worth it. I believe last year there were around 2,000 applicants and this year around 3,500 - not sure --- but nothing like the thousands upon thousands that apply for many national scholarships (my son applied for one that 40,000 people applied for - didn't get it. The smaller the pool, the better the chances). The Foundation also hopes to grow and to be able to offer more scholarships.

My own kids have gotten over $20,000 in outside scholarships. My message is not to rely only on school scholarships, especially if you do not otherwise qualify. There was one local one that my son won for $3,000 that suddenly decided to continue it every year!!! You never know!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page