National Merit Semi-finalists

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: National Merit Semi-finalists
By Tabby (Tabby) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 07:50 pm: Edit

Has anyone heard if their S or D qualified? My S's guidance counselor said she felt certain they'd hear by 09/10. Don't know where that date came from.

By Marite (Marite) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 08:00 pm: Edit

Our school does not start before Labor Day, so we won't hear until at least then. Did your S get a letter last spring asking him to list his college choices? I suppose that was the first step.

By Montmammoth (Montmammoth) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 09:00 pm: Edit

We got our notice two days ago, but then our senior high has been up and running for three weeks already (Plano, Texas)

By Jrpar (Jrpar) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 09:39 pm: Edit

The packages have gone out to the schools (see another thread under SAT's).

By Preddy (Preddy) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 09:41 pm: Edit

did anyone with a 216 qualify in ct for NMS

By Manyhats (Manyhats) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 09:58 pm: Edit

Recieved notice yesterday - in CA.

By Caseyatthebat (Caseyatthebat) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 12:09 am: Edit

Call National Merit Scholarship Corporation directly. They are obligated to give you this information. Even if they can only "give" you 2004 info, it never varies by more than a point or two in either direction from state to state.

By Momof2inca (Momof2inca) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 01:05 am: Edit

Our son found out today from his counselor that he is NMSF. We're in Southern California.

By Tabby (Tabby) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 09:40 am: Edit

Marite, yes, he did get the letter in the spring that you mentioned about listing 2 college choices, and his score is 2 pts above last year's qualifying score (for Louisiana). So we have our fingers crossed. Thanx.

By Destinypath (Destinypath) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 11:06 am: Edit

I'm in WI and found out on Thursday. (Two days ago.)

By Nashvilleuncdad (Nashvilleuncdad) on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 11:26 pm: Edit

In Tennessee we were notified about semi-finalist status on Friday, August 27th

By Bookworm (Bookworm) on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 11:42 pm: Edit

S heard today. Is he competing with other kids in HS, or the state? How many get perfect or near perfect scores? Do SAT scores count, or just the essay?

By Tabby (Tabby) on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 11:55 pm: Edit

Bookworm, my S heard today also that he made semi-finalist(Louisiana). To get your questions answered, go to http://www.nationalmerit.org/nmsp.html

By Bookworm (Bookworm) on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 12:23 am: Edit

Tabby,
I checked the site (thanks). Doesn't address the weighting for various factors; if score counts 75% or what. Oh well, will have to wait.
I'm asking 'cuz S won't be at HS, and don't know how that will effect his GC

By Tabby (Tabby) on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 12:46 am: Edit

Bookworm, try calling the Nat'l Merit people. They are very helpful and can answer your questions. We called them once during the summer with a question about the SAT, and they were very nice. Good luck!

By Nashvilleuncdad (Nashvilleuncdad) on Monday, September 06, 2004 - 09:42 pm: Edit

Which schools give large(at least full tuition), automatic scholarships to National Merit Finalists who list them as their first choice school? The Univ. of Florida-Gainesville is the only one that I am aware of in the southeastern US. Does anyone know of others?

By Optimizerdad (Optimizerdad) on Monday, September 06, 2004 - 10:57 pm: Edit

NashvilleUncDad:
Try a Google search using 'national merit full tuition scholarship', for starters. I got a lot of hits.

By Geniusash (Geniusash) on Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 04:17 am: Edit

THE UNIVERSITY OF TULSA!!!!!!!! PRIVATE AND GOOD!!!! COME HERE!!!! WE ROCK!!!
Bookworm~
If you're talking about advancing from semifinalist to finalist, your son WILL advance as long as he
A) Doesn't turn in the application
B) Has SAT scores SIGNIFICANTLY lower than his PSAT (ex, a 1350 when he recieved a 78v 75m on PSAT)
C) Has horrible grades (I mean, really bad)
D) Is a generally horrible, unlikable person

There is no certain formula, the application is reviewed holistically, I believe. Don't worry about not advancing, basically everyone does.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page