A Hopeful Beginning

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: A Hopeful Beginning
By Cyclingdad (Cyclingdad) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 02:26 pm: Edit

We took our oldest daughter to Dickinson yesterday. Things went pretty well, and our eyes remained mostly dry. True to form, the school was incredibly organized as far as moving in. They had students who helped unload cars, which was a big help. I still ended up with my share of lugging boxes, what with the new computer to be transported from the mail room (at least they let me borrow a cart). The school had a full schedule for parents as well as kids. They would have had us (parents) in the auditorium for 3 hours in the afternoon, had we gone to all of the programs (which we didn't). My wife and I were fairly exhausted by 5:30, when we were to say goodby and leave. We had made many trips between our Dís dorm and the central area where most of the activities took place. Thank goodness Dickinson has a fairly small campus! The best outcome was probably my Dís roommate, who seems to have a lot in common with my D. The two also seem to compliment each other in certain areas; we think that they are going to work out fine. Her Dad brought her down from Mass., and we had a bit of time during the day to get to know him. Some of my D's anxieties were allayed by meeting her roommate, but of course some remain. It's to be expected. Meeting kids in her orientation group will also help her begin to form friendships, or at least to have some faces to recognize in the weeks to come. We met the President at the late afternoon reception. Iím not a fan of this type of function, but was glad to be able to speak with him and compliment him on an article that he had written. I was also glad to be able to introduce my daughter to him. I found him to be very personable and enthusiastic. All in all, we left with good feelings about the school. It's very supportive of the kids and has lots of resources to help them. I'm confident that the orientation program will prepare them for the year ahead. Since my wife and I are so taken with the school, we only hope that D feels the same way at the end of the year! Good luck to all of you and your kids this year.

By Dstark (Dstark) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 05:35 pm: Edit

Have heard good things about Dickinson from a dad of a student.
Nice to hear it went well.
I totally understand not wanting to sit for hours and hours listening to all the programs.
At this point it is time for the kids to take over.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 09:26 pm: Edit

Cyclingdad - I'm so glad to hear that things went well at Dickinson. It is a great school and she will find her niche quickly.

By Backhandgrip (Backhandgrip) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 09:43 pm: Edit

Have known many who went to Dickinson. Looks like a bright future for your daughter!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page