Long Distance Connect Options

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: Long Distance Connect Options
By Mini (Mini) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 10:35 am: Edit

For years we've used Net2Phone. 3.9 cents per minute 24/7, and if you use their direct dialing option, it's 2.9 cents. But we've discovered that in Northampton, there's no local access number. The 1-800 number charges 6.9 cents per minute.

So we are looking for an alternative long distance option for my d. PLEASE DON'T SUGGEST CELL PHONE - not interested. Anyone know of a Net2Phone equivalent for Northampton? Or just generally speaking, and we can do the research ourselves. Thanks.

By Kinshasa (Kinshasa) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 10:42 am: Edit

I love the calling cards available at Sam's Club or Costco. Calls are about 3 cents a minute. You can add value with a credit card #. The only catch is that if you call from a pay phone, there's a hefty surcharge, about 24 minutes or so, roughly 75 cents. I have a cell phone, but I carry a phone card in my wallet as well.

By Thumper1 (Thumper1) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 11:03 am: Edit

Try USA Datanet. We use them and I believe they have a local access number in most areas of Massachusetts. If you're a member of AAA it's 3.9 cents per minute, I think. It's a tiny bit more for non AAA members. Also BJ's wholesale club sells rechargable phone cards also about 3.9 cents per minute.

By Garland (Garland) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 11:08 am: Edit

We also sent son to school with a Costco card. No monthly bills to get lost, really cheap!

(Neither of my kids have cell phones...they're really anomalies!)

By Simba (Simba) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 03:39 pm: Edit

We use a card that is ONE cent a min. You won't find them in Sam's or Walmarts or 'big' stores. Many gas stations and most ethnic food stores have them. If you have 99 cents store they sell them too 99 cents for 99 mins.

Just be careful that thre is no connection fee or monthly maint. fees, and they have local acess number.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page