LAC suggestions for B+ student

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: LAC suggestions for B+ student
By Mwlgal (Mwlgal) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 10:29 am: Edit

Hi all. I'm looking for feedback/suggestions re: LACs my s is considering. Small universities ok. Here's the scoop. SAT 1200/ACT 26, (taking both again, but have to go with this for now) GPA 3.7, top 10% at big school/good rep, All honors/7 AP, respectable EC (not the laundry list like some on this sight),focusing on MW,Mid-Atlantic,PNW, maybe CA. Good intermurals and chance for nonmajor guitar player to get involved.
The list thus far(I know we have to narrow it down):
Lafayette (reach)
Muhlenberg
Univ of DE
Loyola of MD
Dickenson
Elon
Rhodes
Lawrence
St. Olaf
Carleton (reach)
Denison
Kenyon (reach)
Coll. Wooster
Whitman (reach??)
Occidental (reach)

This is a great board. Great info and very encouraging - and yes, misery does love company.
Thanks in advance

By Idler (Idler) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 10:51 am: Edit

You might also look into Lehigh and Ursinus, near me. Good luck!

By Montmammoth (Montmammoth) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 11:32 am: Edit

My oldest D had similar stats, though she wasn't in the top 10% of her class. She fell in love with Randolph Macon, just north of Richmond, Va. She starts in a few days. She got a significant merit scholarship, so it's likely your son would qualify for some merit money too.

It's pretty small, only 1,300 or so students. I get the impression that they give the students a good bit of personal attention & guidance, which may be good or not so good, depending on your son's needs. Nice small town location, Richmond is only half an hour away when the kids want serious entertainment.

By Originaloog (Originaloog) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 12:34 pm: Edit

You might want to add Allegheny College to your list. It was on our som's final appliation list and he enjoyed his campus visit greatly. BTW, he also applied to Wooster(which is a match for you as you noted) and Oberlin(whih would be a big reach and is a very quirky college that is not for everyone).

By Barrons (Barrons) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 12:52 pm: Edit

DePauw, Beloit, Knox

By Mwlgal (Mwlgal) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 12:58 pm: Edit

Originaloog- I'm assuming that "quirky" applies to Oberlin and not Wooster. thanks

By Mackinaw (Mackinaw) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 01:00 pm: Edit

Others to consider: Kalamazoo College, Skidmore (not in your preferred region).

By Pattykk (Pattykk) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 01:03 pm: Edit

How about Goucher? It is a very good school, and they are partial to applications from males.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 01:04 pm: Edit

You've correctly identified your son's reaches - however, I think Dickinson and Rhodes are going to be reaches as well.

Right now, with the exception of Elon, I don't see any solid safeties on your son's list. A few match/safeties he might like: University of Redlands (Calif.), Willamette (Oregon), Seattle U (Washington), Hendrix College (Arkansas), Wittenberg U (Ohio), Goucher (Md.), Augustana College (Il), Earlham (Indiana).

Good luck!

By Ohio_Mom (Ohio_Mom) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 01:07 pm: Edit

Definately look at Allegheny - we just did an open house and it is very nice. Kalamazoo Collage and Goucher might also suit. University of Pittsburgh is larger and more urban, but might be worth a visit if you are in the area. I haven't visited Wheaton College (the one in MA) but its website is quite appealing and I think it's a match for your son. Good luck and happy hunting.

By Dke (Dke) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 02:34 pm: Edit

I'm a Wheaton (Ma.) alum and was just about to suggest it, Ohio Mom...a good school in a very good location....

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 03:30 pm: Edit

Mwlgal, I think I posted a list of schools for consideration on the Financial Issues topics. I think all of the schools listed and suggested on this thread are great for consideration. But for some financial/stats safeties I would go substitute some of them with schools I listed. Wheaton is indeed a great school, and a match for your son, but they are a bit steep and not too generous with merit aid, though if he has solid ECs that may perk their interest, he might get some consideration. Being male would be a big plus, and Bennington, Goucher and schools like that would also be very interested in him for that reason.

I have two other schools to add to the list. Concordia is a very small, very nice school in NY near Sarah Lawrence. More cozy, a bit more suitcase, but so near NYC that it is really a little gem. Nice kids there. Also Washington College in Md is a good pick. If you do a Message search in the parents forum with the college name you will find some threads where parents visited the schools just within a few months/weeks. They offer a very nice $10k for kids in the National Honor Society. Fairleigh Dickenson in NJ is also worth a look see for you. I have friends who graduated from Lynchburg in Va who have sent their kids there; parents seem to love that school, and it would be a good safety/merit possibility school for your son. McDaniel in Md is also a good choice in this category.

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 03:54 pm: Edit

Also take a peek at the College of Santa Fe in New Mexico. My son visited there and loved it. He is applying and in many ways it may be a fit for him. They have Fiesta Weekends and if you book way in advance, the air fare is reasonable and they will put your son up and feed him while he visits the school. I know a couple of people from there and they really feel that it is a great pick. My son really wants to go the weekend if he can possibly get away. Of all of the schools on his list, he is the most enthusiatic about this one as it has many opportunities linked to the city of Santa Fe and the profs are very interested in the students' welfare. He went at a time when there were no festivities or recruiting activities and feels that the atmosphere there is great.

By Ninjamom (Ninjamom) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 05:21 pm: Edit

Mwlgal,

Take a look at this website as well for other suggestions:

http://www.ctcl.com

It's the Colleges that Change Lives website. You'll find overviews of many of the schools that have been suggested in this thread.

By Mom2003 (Mom2003) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 07:09 pm: Edit

William and Mary a public LAC

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 07:20 pm: Edit

St. Mary's College of Maryland might be also be good one to look at. And, Drew U and Wagner College if he wants to be close to NYC.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page