Did you join a political club when you were in school?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: Did you join a political club when you were in school?
By Kriskrass (Kriskrass) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 01:29 am: Edit

I want to either go to law/grad school when my time is up in college. I am currently considering joining a political club (its one of the two big ones =P). I am just wondering if you parents would reccomend staying away from political clubs as I fear having PARTISAN CLUB on my app. may alienate some adcoms and hinder my chances for being admitted. Any thoughts are appreciated.

By Backhandgrip (Backhandgrip) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 07:51 am: Edit

I would go for it but be low key about it the first year or so. Also, would register to vote and get active in local politics.Just offer to help and who knows where it may lead!At any rate you will learn much.Wish I had done more of it back then.

By Marite (Marite) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 08:19 am: Edit

I would not worry about it. Whichever group you join, it will show that you are interested in politics and are thinking about issues. Adcoms do want a variety of perspectives and experiences on their campus, and people who will continue to contribute to be active in college.

By Backhandgrip (Backhandgrip) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 09:26 am: Edit

Oh I did help with a campaign when I was 20 and in college. It was nice because the folks involved in the campaign were an entire different set of people from college students.The reason I didn't continue to help after the actual campaign was because I felt 'young' and everyone else helping in the campaign where I worked was 'old' so I felt out of it or out of my set.Looking back it would have been better for me to learn to volunteer with older people too. So a political organization on a campus is a good idea as you will be with like aged individuals rather than overweight housewives.(which is how it was for me!)Although I bet now campaigns try to keep young folks more together.
I don't think any college would hold it against you if you belonged to a political group, but also I would't further my agenda too much with them too.

By Barrons (Barrons) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 12:59 pm: Edit

SDS. Those were the days. Now big R.

By Newnudad (Newnudad) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 01:11 pm: Edit

SDS too! Right On Barrons... And they never caught me either..I think! LOL... My kids would die laughing if they could see pictures! Come to think of it, I would die laughing if I saw pictures! For all of you that missed it, rent Forest Gump over the weekend...

Peace Man

By Mini (Mini) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 04:58 pm: Edit

Williams SDS here. Personal politics have moved left since.

By Barrons (Barrons) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 07:48 pm: Edit

My big moment was when I signed up for an interview for a job at Dow. I actually got a haricut and dressed up and then asked the poor guy how he justified making Napalm. I was at Wisconsin--pretty wild times.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page