PACKING ! Tips and Advise needed !!!!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: PACKING ! Tips and Advise needed !!!!
By Angstridden (Angstridden) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 07:34 am: Edit

Ok we are ready to pack. The college D. is attending makes the students take everything home at Xmas and spring break. (I dont know why).

But with that in mind..we want to pack so things are portable..and we can easily take things back and forth. We also have to supply sheets, rug (which will be there this first time - ordered through school) phone etc. (IN OTHER WORDS A LOT OF STUFF)

I would appreciate everyones suggestions and packing tips. What would you pack stuff in...
etc. MOVE IN DAY IS THURSDAY!!

By Emeraldkity4 (Emeraldkity4) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 09:15 am: Edit

thats one of the strangest things I have ever heard on these boards, right up there with the student who wanted to know what to do if they got thirsty in their dorm .
Having to move three times every year?
What do they do , hold conferences with dorm housing during breaks?
We packed stuff in cardboard boxes, if have to they can fold flat until needed, bring duct tape for support. You could also have some crates if they were going to be used for storage, but I don't remember where your daughter is and how big the dorm rooms are. I think folding boxes are your best bet.

By Emmom (Emmom) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 09:37 am: Edit

There is no way that you have to move all of her things over break. They do recommend that you take valuables home and move things off the floor in case of a leak. Many kids go away Spring break and leave everything in their rooms since they don't go home. It's not a problem. If you are very conceerned, you can purchase student property insurance for a very small fee. Which dorm is she in? My son was in Chestertown and moved to Easton second semester. We packed in large duffels, some shopping bags and some trash bags. Move-in was well organized and not that bad....just extremely hot! Set your fan up before trying to unpack.

By Emeraldkity4 (Emeraldkity4) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 09:51 am: Edit

I just checked UMCP right?
Ya I agree can't stay during breaks doesn't mean you have to pack up, just that there probably isn't heat or air conditoning, food service isn't available either, it doesn't mean that you have to move all your stuff out.

By Clipper (Clipper) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 09:56 am: Edit

My daughter has packed all of her clothes in those flat under the bed storage boxes so they can be put right under when we arrive. There isn't a lot of dresser storage and with big bulky sweaters that was the way to go for her. She has two larger plastic containers that she has put her shoes and assorted stuff in. We also bought one of those plastic stackable drawers (3) that she will put in her closet for undies.

Let us know if that is true about moving in and out. I have never heard of that!

By Thumper1 (Thumper1) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 10:31 am: Edit

At every university I know of students can leave their belongings in the rooms during the long breaks. At most THEY can't stay in the rooms as the dorms and dining halls are closed. Just because the dorms are closed does not mean you have to move all your belongings out. NOW regarding packing...we packed in every vessel that was coming along with us. Linens went in the laundry bag, clothing and misc. went in the under bed boxes. We even put soft things into the fridge (why take it empty??). Much of what we took went in plastic garbage bags which were then brought home us to use. DS did also have a rolling duffle bag that held a LOT of his belongings. Last year he took a set of plastic drawers, but his room had precious little floor space for them. This year he has bought single file drawers (that can be stacked...) and will put them on the floor of his closet side by side with shoes on the top. Also, I've said this before...DS's advice..."look at what you plan to take and then take 1/2 of it. The rooms are too small and you won't need most of the stuff anyway." He is taking much less with him this year than last year.

By Angstridden (Angstridden) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 10:44 am: Edit

LOL oh my gosh ...I really thought she had to take everything home! I was thinking geez I just bought a huge rug and will have to handle that !
I was figuring they had special classes during breaks and others moved in or something..THANKYOU!! I feel much better now.

(I figured with the small price I am paying for school there I would have to put up with some discomfort) Hey Emeraldkitty..there is no air anyway.

I am buying her insurance for her computer..but figure the rest of it is not worth buying insurance for..but Emmom where do you get that student insurance for stuff in case I want it?
Also when do they get meal cards?

I am overwhelmed by the stuff..huge comforter, egg crate, blankets, desk stuff..and none of it packed.

Someone did give me a tip to take a wet swifer and clean the floor before we put the rug down cus they are usually icky.

Whew..I feel much better...but am still overwhelmed. DEEP BREATH
I guess part of it is missing her already..boohoo

By Mini (Mini) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 11:31 am: Edit

We diescovered that our home owner's insurance covers everything, including her computer and musical instruments, without any riders or additional cost. (The only thing the insurnace company had was a $75,000 limit on jewelry - since we don't have between all 4 of us even $30 worth of jewelry, I think we are safe.)

By Emmom (Emmom) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 11:40 am: Edit

Relax....it will all be fine. Her student ID card is her meal card and is her swipe card to enter her dorm and has her cash account on it. It's all in one.
You can purchase insurance on-line from NSSI (National Student Services, Inc). It might be worth it...covers computers, electronics, all belongings for very little cost. Probably less for all of it than you are paying to insure her computer alone. I wish I had it last year when my son had his backpack stolen with all of his textbooks and a power charger for his laptop in it. Would have paid for itself!
We used trash bags for the bedding and shopping bags for the desk stuff...it fits well in the car and is easy to carry.

By Emmom (Emmom) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 11:43 am: Edit

The reason we can't depend on our homeowner's insurance is that we carry a very high deductible to keep premium costs down. The student insurance only has a $25 deductible.

By Mini (Mini) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 11:47 am: Edit

P.S. My wife asked me to make a correction. We have $60 worth of jewelry. All insured, though.

By Angstridden (Angstridden) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 12:11 pm: Edit

We have a large deductible on our insurance either..they said we would have to schedule the computer..otherwise it wouldnt be covered due to the deductible. So I plan to do that.

When you say cash account EMMOM what do you mean?
Do I put cash on something for her. If so what is that.

I just paid tuition Thursday EMMOM cus I was told her scholarships would not pay out till later..and one of them paid already! So now I applied for a refund. Do you know how long it takes to get that?

What year is your son in? What dorm? How does he like it? Other tips?

By Angstridden (Angstridden) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 12:12 pm: Edit

Oh Emmom how does he secure his computer in the room..or doesnt he?

By Angstridden (Angstridden) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 12:13 pm: Edit

She is going to be in Denton.
I just reread your post and saw where yours is in Easton. Are they near each other?

By Emmom (Emmom) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 12:32 pm: Edit

My son is a sophmore and is living on fraternity row this year. He has a laptop which we locked to his bedframe using a laptop lock in the first dorm. The room set up in the second dorm prevented this and he looped the lock through the closet door handle which was next to the desk. The rooms are pretty small...you'll be able to work something out. He loves school and can't wait to go back.
When you move her in, look around at how people are setting up the rooms. Floor space is minimal and people get pretty creative making it all fit.
The cash account is terrapin express. It is the same as cash and means that she doesn't need to carry cash or a credit card on campus. The bookstore, shops, etc. all take it. It is optional, but convenient. She will already have some cash on it from her meal plan...it's called terp bucks, but you can add money at anytime and it rolls over from semseter to semester so there is no risk of losing it. Check the website. I just call the terrapin express phone number and tell them how much I want to put on it and charge it to my credit card. They go by her social security number.
Sorry, I don't know how scholarship money works, but I have found all of my dealing with the university to be pretty efficient.

By Enjoyingthis (Enjoyingthis) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 01:08 pm: Edit

Off Topic to Mini--

Nice bit of ink about your book in the Oregonian this morning! They ran a home-schooling column.

Also, my D managed to be late and didn't get her picture in the Smith "Face Book." But it was fun seeing her classmates, including "Talks to Birds."

By Angstridden (Angstridden) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 01:34 pm: Edit

Would you recommend a laptop lock for all the dorms? If her roomie is good and they lock the doors do they need it.
I guess I dont want her roomie to think she doesnt trust her. They seem to get along well via email.
Where do you get the locks?

Gosh she got a credit card and here she may not need it !

I will check into the terrapin express...is the number online.

Also are you going to parents weekend? What are the tailgate parties like?

By Emmom (Emmom) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 02:00 pm: Edit

I think the lock is a good idea. It has nothing to do with trusting the roomate. Everyone seems to use them. We bought one at Circuit City. You can even get them on ebay. Kensington makes a nice one. Many times the kids left the door open when running to the bathroom. Better to be safe. They also use the locks in the library.
The credit card is still useful..off campus, online shopping, etc.. She may never use it but why not have it? We used it for flights home and things like that.
We did go to parents weekend last year. The football game was great...if freezing! The tailgate party was fine...just a lot of food and people milling about.

By Angstridden (Angstridden) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 02:07 pm: Edit

Are you out of state?

You say the terrapin Express carries over..but the meal plan bucks dont right?
How does that stay straight?

By Thumper1 (Thumper1) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 02:19 pm: Edit

You should check you homeowners re: insurance of instruments. Ours covers for theft but NOT loss. And there is a huge difference. For theft, there is usually forced entry or something like that. Loss would entail things like...you put your instrument down and when you come back it's gone. No proof that someone actually "stole" it...so that is deemed "loss". Ditto an unlocked dorm room. Since loss is actually more likely than theft, it is well worth the small cost to insure the instruments...about $20 per year each. Homeowners covers everything else just as it would at your home...at least our policy does.

By Emmom (Emmom) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 02:57 pm: Edit

Yes, terrapin express carries over, meal plan points do not. It is all computerized...there is nothing for her to keep straight She can also check her balances online during the semester. It's all pretty easy once you get used to it.
Yes, we are out of state.

By Angstridden (Angstridden) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 05:23 pm: Edit

Emmom...how did you figure out the address for MAIL. My D. said she thinks it goes to the student union but doesnt know what it is.

Thumper..yes I checked. I have a high deductible..but to add the computer it would be $20 for the year loss or theft..cheaper than student insurance...so we are going to schedule it.

By Angstridden (Angstridden) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 05:30 pm: Edit

BTW did you find he had a lot of expenses at MD?
I am only an hour away and can run up there occasionally with misc. supplies.
But did your son spend a lot on things to do at MD? We are budgeting for how much to give D. per month. And I wonder what it runs there in terms of entertainment.
Also why did he decide on MD from out of state ? What attracted him?

By Mini (Mini) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 05:34 pm: Edit

"Off Topic to Mini--

Nice bit of ink about your book in the Oregonian this morning! They ran a home-schooling column.

Also, my D managed to be late and didn't get her picture in the Smith "Face Book." But it was fun seeing her classmates, including "Talks to Birds."

--

Gee, can you send a link? I haven't seen it. (who wrote teh column - Teri Brown? or Anne Larson-Fischer?)

By Achat (Achat) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 05:50 pm: Edit

Which book by the way?

By Emmom (Emmom) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 06:09 pm: Edit

The mail address is just her name, her dorm , and the university address...if she's in room 5515, her address would be 5515 Denton Hall, UMD, College Park,MD, 20742. The mail boxes are in the dorms...either hers or one in her quad..wherever the desk is for her community. I can't judge expenses..everyone is different.

By Clipper (Clipper) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 06:17 pm: Edit

Oh, and don't forget to bring a tool kit. I know my H used his to put together some stuff.

By Mini (Mini) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 06:23 pm: Edit

" Which book by the way?"

I assume my last one. The two new ones aren't out yet.

www.skylarksings.com

By Enjoyingthis (Enjoyingthis) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 07:16 pm: Edit

Round-up of homeschooling books in the library by Kate Schwab, Multnomah County Central Library.

I'll send the clipping with my d to pass to your d at Smith!

By Mini (Mini) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 12:01 am: Edit

Thanks. Couldn't find it on line. But I'm sure my "fan club" will send it to me.

By Sillystring7 (Sillystring7) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 11:42 pm: Edit

Re the insurance for valuables in the dorm. I work for a large, well-known insurer. I spoke to our property and casualty department today, and as a result I decided to buy student insurance. The reason? Although my daughter is covered for 10 percent of the value of our home ($20,000 in coverage) thanks to our homeowners policy, the deductible is 1 percent of the value of the home (or $2,000). I can buy a replacement-value student policy for about $125 a year with a $25 deductible. Also, claims filed for dorm-room theft "go against" your claims record, driving rates up and increasing the likelihood that your policy will not be renewed. These days, just a few small claims pretty much guarantee that you will be flagged as an undesirable policyholder, resulting in non-renewal.

By Angstridden (Angstridden) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 06:06 am: Edit

I can put a rider on my insurance policy for $20 only..(no deductible) for the computer..
I dont feel most of the rest of her stuff is worth insurance. So I am doing that.
Good point about the non-renewal thing.
Hubby had a minor fenderbender a few weeks ago and we were told if we reported it, we had a good chance of nonrenewal because he had had one other minor fender bender (in many many years of driving) less than 3 years ago. He would be flagged!

By Dadofsam (Dadofsam) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 04:18 pm: Edit

I've just read this thread and checked with my insurance company (State Farm). My agent said that we could add any specific valuable items as indivdual floater policies to the homeonwer's policy (just as with any other item on whch the policy provides no coverage or insufficient coverage).
That floater would be considered a separate policy so that any claims against it would not go against the homeowner's policy. Estimated cost for a computer would be about $ 20 - 30 per year. Sounds similar to what Angstridden mentioned.

Other items in his room such as clothing,etc. would be covered under our homeohwner's policy

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page