Need to Map Out My Future

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: Need to Map Out My Future
By Tlaktan (Tlaktan) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 05:44 pm: Edit

Okay, I'll give you what I have so far.

(( NOTE: I especially trust the parents and adults of College Confidential, because I have seen and know that there are fabulous moms and dads who can give GREAT advice. ))

GPA-Wise
3.741 Weighted
3.67 Unweighted (3.7 Rounded)
3.9 UC (4.1 with final points addition)
Most Rigorous Course Taken (Says the Counselor)
Class Rank: 29th out of 808

Test Scores
680 - Verbal
640 - Mathematics
-------------------
1320 - SAT I (May 2004)

700 - US History / 740 - World History / 780 - Writing

5 - AP English Language / 4 - AP Environmental Science / 3 - AP Art History

Current Classes
AP Biology
AP English Literature
AP US History
AP Psychology
JROTC
Tutoring
Statistics (Community College)
Principles of Mathematics I and II (It's a 2nd Tier Math Course, just below Statistics in tiering. Way above Algebra II, NOT a kickback course)

Next Semester Courses
All courses minus AP Psychology, which will be replaced with AP Macro-economics

Extracurriculars - Top Ones Only
JROTC - 4 yrs - Battalion Commander
World Affairs Council - 3 yrs - Sen. Student Rep.
Mock Trial - 3 yrs - President/Founder
Freedom's Foundation - 1 yr - Nat. Delegate
American Legion: Boys State - 1 yr - Judge of the Year/Superior Court Judge
International Relations Competition Team - 3 yrs - Team Captain

Sundry
Race: Korean-American
Intended Major: Political Science/International Relations
Linguistics: Tri-lingual (English, Korean, and Japanese)

Super-reaches
Georgetown University (Application P-I sent, Transcript Sent)
Northwestern University (Application P-I and P-II sent)
Notre-Dame University (Application P-I and P-II Sent)
University of California, Berkeley
University of Chicago

Reaches
University of Michigan, Ann-Arbor (Application in progress)
University of California, Los Angeles

Reach-Matches
New York University
Bowdoin College

Matches
George Washington University
University of Wisconsin - Madison
University of Maryland - College Park
University of Rochester

Safeties
American University
Fordham University
Northeastern University

I need a few more matches and safeties; I also take suggestions on reaches.

I took a look at Macalester and a few other small liberal arts colleges, but I already ruled them out.

I also ruled out Boston College, because, well, I don't feel I'm qualified.

I also ruled out Boston University, because.. well.. I've heard not-so-good things about it.

I don't think I have a shot at Tufts or JHU, so I left those two off the list.

Any other suggestions?

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 05:54 pm: Edit

MATCHES
Grinnell (I love that school, 11% international Students makes it cosmopolitan)
Reed

SAFETIES
Indiana University-Bloomington (awesome campus, tops in Poli Sci)

By Dstark (Dstark) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 05:55 pm: Edit

Why do you need more matches and safeties?
I think you have a good list.
Bowdoin sticks out as different than the others.
I think you are in at Wisconsin.
It is an easy app.
Send it in as soon as possible, and you won't have to apply to as many schools. They should give you an answer in about 8 weeks.

By Tlaktan (Tlaktan) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 06:14 pm: Edit

Alexandre: Thanks a lot! You have been an enormous help to my college search and I'll look into Grinnell. We have a guy who went to Reed, and well.. from what I've heard, it's a bit .. well, not my thing. I'll look into IU-B too.

Dstark: I just want to see if there's somewhere better. Somewhere I may have missed, because I may have missed somewhere.

Thanks for your support though. As much as I love to study Political Science and International Relations, I am still hoping and praying for Georgetown. *shrug* One can only hope, of course.

But in the meanwhile, I'd like to dig for other places. As you can see, except maybe for GWU, the list is pretty fluid.

By Tlaktan (Tlaktan) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 07:08 pm: Edit

Any other parental (or other) opinions welcomed!

By Clipper (Clipper) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 08:09 pm: Edit

Tlaktan - I know you really want to go to Georgetown and I think you have a very good shot if you could get your SATs up just a tad into the 1400s. Your SAT IIs are good and even though your GPA is low your class rank is very good considering how many kids are in your class! The most positive thing I see is that you are tri-lingual. You know Georgetown loves that and you have combined that with your activities. Make sure you write an awesome essay. Are you trying for SFS or the College? That would make a difference but like I said your languages are a major plus. I hope you keep us posted on the Georgetown site.

By Tlaktan (Tlaktan) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 08:26 pm: Edit

Clipper: (First off, I'd like to thank you for your advice, I've seen you many times on the Georgetown forum and I am quite grateful)...I am trying for the School of Foreign Service.. I am perfecting, throwing away, and rewriting different drafts for my essay. I will be retrying for the SAT I again in October.

My essay will be based upon how I live in a culture in the aftermath (and currently still technically in) the Korean War, how a divided nation still affects my family and my Korean heritage today.. I really can't think of another event that closely impacts me (that's a global issue) than that..

By Cheers (Cheers) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 11:52 pm: Edit

Tlaktan; Look up accepted student stats for SFS in archived threads/Individual schools.

Also, (can't remember if this was Xiggi?), but someone posted some great hints about how to boost Math Sat I scores. Jamimom recommneds taking and retaking the 10 REal SATs until you get an 800 score. She swears that works.

My S raised his verbal score by 150 points by memorizing the 150 words he didn't know from the PR list of 250 words.

Anyway, bottom line, the smartest thing to do is lift those SAT scores. Otherwise, the list is good. What about USC?

By Par72 (Par72) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 12:34 am: Edit

Might want to look at Holy Cross-very good school also has a couple of ROTC programs. Holy Cross likes to recruit West Coast students. HC would be rated a match.

By Tlaktan (Tlaktan) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 01:49 am: Edit

Thanks a lot thus far, but I know there's more out there!

Cheers:

I looked at the SFS stats. It's depressing.

But thanks for the SAT advice! I'll take into training.

Par72:

I'll look into it! Thanks!

By Marite (Marite) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 06:52 am: Edit

Tlaktan:

Fwiw, Dean Robert Gallucci of SFS was very involved in negotiations over North Korea some years ago. SFS would definitely be a great place for you to be.

Try to boost your SAT to make you more competitive. The discrepancy between your SAT verbal and your SAT Writing suggests that you did less well than you should have on the SAT. Do you know which section gave you trouble? Set to work on improving on that section.

By Cyclingdad (Cyclingdad) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 07:20 am: Edit

Tlaktan: Given your interest in International Relations, you might take a look at Dickinson College. They have a strong program there. Given your personal information, they might be interested as I think they want to increase their diversity. I would say Reach/Match, but check out their profile stats. Good luck!

By Tlaktan (Tlaktan) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 01:33 pm: Edit

Marite: Thanks! I write much better than I do those awful critical reading passages. All of them are such a bore. My goodness. My mind probably clicked and went to sleep because of the CR passages.

// EDIT NOTE: I find it *VERY* ironic that you mention Dean Gallucci and the North Korean crisis. I'm doing research on possible resolutions to the North Korean crisis, and the such. Maybe I should turn my outline in. LOL. Or my abstract. Heh.

I also find it ironic that you mention Dean Gallucci because on the return card that my school requested for the transcript (they do that always) well.. we can't quite make out the signature, but we're 99% sure it's Dean Gallucci's.

*smirk* // END EDIT
I also got a 5 on the AP English Language, so that really doesn't make sense. I must have been tired that day or something, I'm not quite sure.

Cyclingdad: Thanks! I'll check out Dickinson College.

By Cheers (Cheers) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 04:19 pm: Edit

Tlaktan; Be sure you look into all the Study/Intern Abroad Programs of each university.

Good luck!

By Tlaktan (Tlaktan) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 10:26 pm: Edit

/bump

By Mom101 (Mom101) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 10:31 pm: Edit

"Though your GPA is low"....Once and for all, can we just establish that a gpa accompanied by this class rank is not "low"? Kids are actually buying their schools' grade inflation!

By Cheers (Cheers) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 10:34 pm: Edit

I agree Mom 101. The SAT scores seem low for the rank....might make the adcom wonder if he is working too hard for the GPA. Hopefully, he can coach himself into some higher scores!

By Tlaktan (Tlaktan) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 10:48 pm: Edit

Well, our school has everything mixed in. Everything, everyone is mixed into the same rank pool. All students (regardless of ESL/RSP-SE/Honors/AP/Regular) are all piled into the same pile.

Our val has a 4.15 at the moment, our Sal a 4.13, and our #3 a 4.03.. Then it kinda curves down into the 3.8s, then the 3.7s..

Cheers:

I would love to coach myself into some higher scores, and am doing so at the moment.

By Cheers (Cheers) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 10:59 pm: Edit

Beofre you throw out BU as a safety, check out BU profs on studentreview.com, 2004 average SAT (1370?), BU's substantial abroad and internship possiblities and the extensive list of courses offered for International degree.

BU has its faults, but it's nice and big, it's diverse, it gives very nice merit awards to kids like you and best of all--it's in Boston!

By Tlaktan (Tlaktan) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 12:17 am: Edit

Holy shazzbot.. 1370 SAT score? .. Wasn't it around the 12's last year?

I'll check it out and give it another run through, ... but.. I'll think about it.

By Tlaktan (Tlaktan) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 02:49 am: Edit

Shameless BUMP.

By Cheers (Cheers) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 04:48 am: Edit

BEsides getting your SATs above the 1500 range, you need to whittle down your list, especially your super reaches. One super reach is enough. The SFS app needs lots of attention. (Applicants posted their essays last year. Check them out).

Why don't you re-post a re-considered list?

By Tlaktan (Tlaktan) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 10:11 am: Edit

Reconsidered list:

Super-reaches
Georgetown University (Application P-I sent, Transcript Sent)
Northwestern University (Application P-I and P-II sent)
Notre-Dame University (Application P-I and P-II Sent)
University of California, Berkeley
-- University of Chicago -- Removed

Reaches
University of Michigan, Ann-Arbor (Application in progress)
University of California, Los Angeles

Reach-Matches
New York University
Bowdoin College

Matches
George Washington University
University of Wisconsin - Madison
-- University of Maryland - College Park -- May remove
University of Rochester

(Under Consideration)
Grinnell College
Holy Cross

Safeties
American University
Fordham University
Northeastern University
Indiana U/Bloomington

I'll dig around for the SFS applications from last year. I qualify for a fee waiver for Northwestern anyway, so I might as well just go ahead and apply since my application was submitted. Same with Notre Dame, minus the fee waiver part.

Since I'm a California resident, I'll try my chances with UCLA, UCB, and a few other UCs.

I am giving the SFS application priority attention, however, because well.. Georgetown is my priority school.

A few of the schools I listed had no app fee or I qualified under their fee waiver circumstances, so I didn't see the harm.

Thanks for the help! I'll look into some other schools, too, but SFS remains my #1 priority!

By Kelly1 (Kelly1) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 12:00 pm: Edit

I don't think Bowdoin should be a match for anyone, but may work solely for being an Asian (still relatively URM in Bowdoin, maybe) and from So. Cal.

Why did you pick Bowdoin? Any personal connection? It does not seems to be compatible to your other choices.

By Tlaktan (Tlaktan) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 02:09 pm: Edit

Our school has connections with Bowdoin. We are 99% minority, so therefore they have good ties for us. We fly back there every year .. it's a great program.. from what I've heard, and I heard the place is nice and cozy, also I'd look to do the 3-2 program with Columbia.. Get my JD in the process.

By Cheers (Cheers) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 04:50 pm: Edit

Still too many schools. 15 applications is WAY too many. You simply won't be able to do a good job on all of them. You only need one or two safeties and two or three matches and one super reach. IMHO. Really, you are spreading yourself too thin--especially when you neeed the prep time for your SATs.

You have to get those SATs up for SFS.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 03:17 am: Edit

Remove at least two Safeties, imo. That's why they're called "Safeties." One is necessary, two may be prudent, more than that is superfluous.

The schools that stand out as being not much like other schools on the list are Bowdoin, Holy Cross, and Grinnell.

UCLA and UC Berkeley are virtually the same in terms of admissions...I know lots of students who got admitted to one but not the other and there's no pattern. Berkeley may be *slightly* more selective but on your scale the difference is negligible in practical terms. Otoh, you can apply to both with the same app so machts nichts.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page