Working During College?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: Working During College?
By Tlaktan (Tlaktan) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 03:18 am: Edit

I'm probably going to qualify for need-based aid, and well, I think they'll require me to work a job. But if I needed extra cash, and my parents were strapped, I'm presuming I'll get a job. How do you balance this into the already-intensive college schedule?

By Alan5 (Alan5) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 08:21 am: Edit

Have you considered a school with a paid internship program where students alternate periods of work at with periods of classes? Depending on the major some of the internships pay up to $25 per hour. Take a look at Northeastern and Drexel. Both are U.S. News Top Tier schools. And Northeastern has the top rated internship program in the country. NEU has placements at top companies like Microsoft, IBM, Merrill Lynch, NBC, the BBC, MTV, etc.

By Tlaktan (Tlaktan) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 11:16 am: Edit

Don't worry Alan5, I've heard your statements about NEU. I've included it in my safety list and have also directed many of my friends to look into it as well.

I don't say much, but with the 80-some seniors in the magnet program, I must have at least referred 20 to NEU.

Unfortunately, it's not quite *UP* there as far as my priorities go, but do consider the fact that it is on the list. And it's not at the bottom, either.

By Tlaktan (Tlaktan) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 11:37 am: Edit

Actually Alan5, please give me an e-mail, I have a few questions on Northeastern I'd like to discuss privately.

By Sybbie719 (Sybbie719) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 05:52 pm: Edit

Daughter will have work study as part of her aid package, but will working no more than 10 hours a week. She has tentatively scheduled classes 3 days a week and will work 4-5 hours the 2 days she does not have class.

By Kwtortoise (Kwtortoise) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 07:20 pm: Edit

Does anyone know if on-campus jobs are usually offered on weekends? Such as, if I wanted to work on Fridays and Saturdays in an office because my Mon-Thurs has 4-5 hours of class a day.

By Over30 (Over30) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 10:51 pm: Edit

Check online for student employment at your college. Many schools list federal work study and other student jobs, both on and off campus.

By Rhonda63 (Rhonda63) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 09:21 am: Edit

Plenty of people work part time during college. There are usually work study jobs, which go to kids who get work study as part of their finaid package (I think that's what you're referring to). From what I remember (don't know if it's the same now), some jobs were more desirable than others -- sitting at the library desk checking IDs was pretty high up there, and food service was at the bottom.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page