Query on Language

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: Query on Language
By Tlaktan (Tlaktan) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 01:54 am: Edit

A friend of mine got placement into a 2nd level Language Class 9th grade, but the class.. only .. goes upto the 3rd level (there is no AP or Honors version of it). So in essence, she'd be getting 2 years of worth of language. Should her counselor write something in of that matter?

By Tlaktan (Tlaktan) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 10:07 am: Edit

/bump

By Rhonda63 (Rhonda63) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 10:46 am: Edit

What language is it? She should really have more than two years of foreign language. One option is independent study for the last two years of HS, or a college course if that is convenient.

By Tlaktan (Tlaktan) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 11:34 am: Edit

Problem: Independent Study is not available at our school (She goes to my school) and the College Course equivalency only goes upto the 3rd level.

She took Korean, by the way.

By Kathiep (Kathiep) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 05:00 pm: Edit

I've read lots of talk on these boards about how you really should have 3 - 4 years of a language but for my son who is looking at non-brand name schools, most are asking for just two years of a language. It's easy enough to go to any intended schools website and see what is really expected. My son is planning to take German 4 this year but if it doesn't work into his schedule, we're not going to sweat it.

In a smallish school like ours there will be just one section of German 4 so the possiblility is a good one that he won't get it. The schedule should arrive any day now.

By Demingy (Demingy) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 05:55 pm: Edit

Maybe I'm being incredibly naive here but I would think that the reason that colleges want a certain number of years in a language would be to demonstrate some proficiency. Wouldn't that still be demonstrated by the fact that she got all the way up to 3rd level even though it only took her two years to do it?

But, if she needs to take more language maybe she can either take another language or look at some other "local" colleges that might have an online or similar course.

By Fenix_Three (Fenix_Three) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 06:24 pm: Edit

Some colleges recommend a third level of the same language with a certain grade or better to either complete the requirement or to pass the language req at the college itself. It's not the amount that matters, it's the highest level finished.
For example, there are kids at my school that start in French 4AP, skip French 5 (for those who didn't pass the AP lang test) and go into French 6AP. That's only 2 years, but none of them take another language just for the third year.
Just in case, have the counselor explain the situation when applying to schools.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page