High School Course Conflict

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: High School Course Conflict
By Thumper1 (Thumper1) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 06:08 pm: Edit

Just need to vent here!! DD is a rising junior. Her high school is a somewhat small one (193 in her graduation class). Her junior course load was to be Honors English, Honors US History, Honors Chemistry, Honors Algebra II, Honors Wind Symphony, Music Theory and PE/Health. Today we went to get her schedule and they were unable to schedule all of those honors classes (school does not offer these as AP classes in case anyone was wondering). She was moved into the honors math track for this coming year. Most students taking Algebra II honors are in the 10th grade. That was the rub. In order to fit that class into her schedule, she either had to drop wind symphony or music theory, or take the college level course for English, or US History (not a choice for Chemistry as only the honors course has a separate lab). So...decision made...she wants to take AP English literature, and AP Modern European history as a senior and must take the honors courses this year to do so. She does not want to drop either of the music courses (still considering majoring in a music field in college). So...she's back in college Algebra II. She will still continue math next year (precalc). Oh well...the perils of being in a small high school. Thanks for letting me vent.

By Kingkonglives (Kingkonglives) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 06:11 pm: Edit

it could be worse trust me... my school dropped AP Computer Science, AP Art History... everyone had a conflict i can't do IB anymore (i was going to drop IB anyways so that's ok i guess), a lot of people have to take math/health/foreign language at the college and do some filler class like ROP or some beginning art class

oh yeah music theory was already dropped last year

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page