Parents of LAC-bound kids: ever heard of SLAC?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: Parents of LAC-bound kids: ever heard of SLAC?
By 2dsdad (2dsdad) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 01:38 am: Edit

My daughter will be starting at Kenyon next week and I received an email from someone at the college with a reference to SLAC. As long as I have been reading this forum and as many college consortiums that I have come across, this was the first time I had heard of the Selective Liberal Arts Consortium. They have been holding recruiting fairs across the nation for at least 10 years.

Selective Liberal Arts Consortium (SLAC) Institutions:
Grinnell, Haverford, Carleton, Kenyon, Davidson, Dickinson, Bryn Mawr, Franklin & Marshall, Oberlin, Pomona, Washington & Lee and Vassar.

Interesting group. My daughter applied to or at least seriously considered six of the twelve

http://www.slaconsortium.org/

By Reidmc (Reidmc) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 02:33 am: Edit

There are several of these. . .here is info on one called "8 of the Best"
http://www.claremontmckenna.edu/admission/ontheroad/8ofbest.asp

By Fredo (Fredo) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 09:35 am: Edit

I had never heard of SLAC - seems to be an employer marketing tool. And 8 of the best is an admissions travelling road show - Duke/Penn/Harvard and Georgetown do one of their own every year.

By 2dsdad (2dsdad) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 12:48 pm: Edit

The "8 of the Best" road show came through our town and we attended. It was a useful way to learn about a variety of schools in a category that my my D was interested in. We put on enough miles in this process so that any help was appreciated. I imagine employers might appreciate the savings represented by the job fairs but it may be more of a benefit to the students than the employers. Certainly the schools' students are more likely to get interviews in NY, Chicago, etc, than if they wait around on campus for the Fortune 500 to call.

By Monydad (Monydad) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 12:13 pm: Edit

I hadn't heard of this, but it's a good idea. My daughter also carefully considered 6 of these schools, so to me they do seem to have a lot in common.

Many quality liberal arts colleges are too small, and in many cases remotely located, to attract a lot of recruiters to their individual campuses. By pooling graduates/candidates and centralizing interview locations, I'd think they should have a better chance of competing for employer attention with the larger universities that have students of similar capability (but many more of them, and in one place).

I hope SLAC is effective in giving the graduates of these schools the exposure and job opportunities they deserve.

By Songman (Songman) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 12:18 pm: Edit

Thanks 2dsdad! Will Bookmark this site!

By Willywonka (Willywonka) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 01:20 pm: Edit

Wow, I've never heard of this either, and Kenyon and W&L are two of my "top choices." Thanks.

By Grlzmom (Grlzmom) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 06:30 pm: Edit

You might consider looking at Colleges That Change Lives also : http://www.ctclonline.com/

Listed are schools that are notable for engaging students, great teaching, and vibrant communities. I think they have changed their name recently to Colleges of Distinction but it is predominately made up of LACs. It was where we were first introduced to Centre College where my daughter will attend this fall.

By Fireflyscout (Fireflyscout) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 11:19 pm: Edit

Grlzmom - my daughter and I toured Centre this summer and thought it had quite a few good things going for it. I'm surprised that there is almost no discussion of it on these boards; there's not even a separate heading for Centre in the individual colleges section. Why did your daughter choose Centre?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page