Transfer & SAT/ACT Questions

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: Transfer & SAT/ACT Questions
By Demingy (Demingy) on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 01:42 pm: Edit

I'm sorry to post this here instead of the SAT forum, but you guys are usually so helpful and I'm hoping to avoid some of the comments that I've seen from students that haven't even started college stating absolutes about transfer applications that I know are false.

As many of you know, I plan on transferring in a couple of years to a four-year college/university after getting my AS. I'm 26 and I took both my SAT and ACT almost ten years ago. Unfortunately I don't really remember enough information to get my archived scores sent from either company, and I also don't know how most colleges will look at scores that old anyway..... So I was thinking about just taking one or both of them again (I did very well the last time I took them, and I'm sure I could do even better considering I didn't prep at all before--and I've learned a lot more since then).

Anyway, I'd like some advice on the thinking above as well as when I should take the tests. I just looked up the information on the SAT and it looks like they are going to seriously raise their prices for the SAT I after January (from $29.50 to $41.50), but I don't think I'm going to have my list of schools by then. Should I just go ahead and take the test soon and work out how to get the results sent to the schools later? I had also thought about the difference between the "new" and "old" SAT, but I'm not even sure if this would matter since I'm transferring and many of the schools I looked at seemed to be okay with getting original scores from high school.

Anyway, I'm really getting anxious about all of this, so any help you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated (as always).

By Drusba (Drusba) on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 02:52 pm: Edit

The first question you will need to find the answer to is whether you will even need to submit an SAT score. A person with an AS, who is older, and wants to transfer/enter a four year college, may not need to submit a test score at many colleges. Thus, you might want to check out the requirements for any of the colleges you may be considering.

The same checking applies even if a test score is required -- in your situation will the college simply take your old one? Moreover, even if they require a new score, you still have to know whether they will insist upon the new SAT as opposed to the current one if you apply for next year or thereafter.

In other words, you are in situation where it really depends on the colleges to which you intend to apply and until you know what they actually require you will not know whether you can take no test, can take the current one, or need to wait to take the new one (although undoubtedly, any will take a score from the new SAT if you wait to take that one).

As to getting old scores, the companies should be able to retrieve them with your name and SSN. Moreover, you may want to try and get a copy of your high school transcript from your old high school which may have your scores on it and as you note there are colleges that accept that as your official scores.

By Jenniferpa (Jenniferpa) on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 02:58 pm: Edit

The other thing to remember is that you are charged $6.50 for each college that you choose to send the report to, other than the ones you indicate on the test date. Therefore, if you don't know which colleges you would be sending the score to, it would be financially advantageous to wait to take the test until you did, even if they're raising the price again.

By Demingy (Demingy) on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 03:35 pm: Edit

Thanks guys. To clarify, some of the colleges I'm looking at have said that they require test scores for all transfer students. I already have a copy of my high school transcript and it does not include the test scores.

I guess I'll have to try calling the companies because their online forms require name (at time of testing), SSN, address (at time of testing), and the date of test (which is optional-thank goodness).

I know that the requirements will vary by colleges (I know, why bother to post this then?). I guess I'm just starting to get a little stressed out now that this is actually on the horizon instead of being beyond it.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page