Process of GPA recalc for schools.

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: Process of GPA recalc for schools.
By Thereishope (Thereishope) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 03:22 pm: Edit

I understand that many schools recalc the high school GPA. However, my friend and I have this question, that we haven't been to find an answer to.

What college's recalc GPA, do they actually use a new scale for As, Bs, and Cs, then recalc the GPA according to their scale?
OR, do they still use the same letter grade given by the school, but just make sure that non academic courses are taken out, GPA are weighted and etc?

This matters a lot to my friend and I because our A in Canada is from 86 - 100. We have a few course at exactly 89. But we can raise this to a 90 by taking a government exam, and getting 91 on it. So, if the schools do recalc GPA on a new scale with 90 - 100 being an A, then we have to take this exam and do well.

If they don't recalc letter grades for intl students, does it matter if a grade is 89 or 90?

By Thereishope (Thereishope) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 03:25 pm: Edit

Could someone give some insight into this process?

We are particular interested in Princeton, Harvard, Yale, Dartmouth, MIT, and PENN.

By Jenniferpa (Jenniferpa) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 04:31 pm: Edit

A lot depends on how your transcript reads. If it simply says A colleges wouldn't know whether this was an 86 or 100, and would normally allocate 4 points. However, if your transcript shows 89, most schools would, I believe assess that as a B and allocate 3 points. Incidentally, most schools who recalculate do not include any weighting. Having said this, if it is true that all schools (as you imply) in Canada have a similar grading scale, obviously elite US universities would have experience with this. You need to ask your guidance office what has happened in the past.

By Thereishope (Thereishope) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 07:43 pm: Edit

Does anyone else have any inputs for this topic?

By Idler (Idler) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 11:39 am: Edit

I've heard that they all do it according to their own lights, but a common method is to throw out non-academic subjects, weighting, + and -, and sometimes 9th grade. No idea on the 89 issue, but the comment above, does the transcript show numbers or letters? seems germane.

By Amethyst213 (Amethyst213) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 11:59 am: Edit

I've heard different things from different admissions offices. You should probably check with the individual colleges you are interested in. Our high school gives actual percentage grades rather than just letters or 4.0, Some of the colleges my kids applied to recalculated with phys ed grades removed, some added points to weight for AP's and honors classes.

By Thereishope (Thereishope) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 12:43 pm: Edit

Ours also show letter grades and percentage.
I have just called the Princeton admissions office and they said they dont change the letter grade, but just remove non academic courses and unweight everything.

I have to yet call Harvard, Yale and Dartmouth.

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 12:55 pm: Edit

I don't know if you are interested in Michigan, but that's how Michigan recalculates:

Exclude freshmen grades and non-academic classes, use only unweighed GPA, and give yourself a 4.0 for any As (A, A+, A-), a 3.0 for any B (B, B+, B-), and so on and so forth.

Michigan does take course difficulty into consideration, but not in their recalculation of GPA.

By Dmd77 (Dmd77) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 05:55 pm: Edit

If you look at the MIT application, you'll be able to figure out how they average--I remember doing it for my son. They group courses in regular/honors/AP, and they have you report grades for those areas they are interested in. You can find the form I mean at this link: http://web.mit.edu/admissions/www/undergrad/freshman/applications/MITcoursework.pdf

I was amused that PE, arts, music are not mentioned--except as "other".

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page