Amherst Visit

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: Amherst Visit
By Momsdream (Momsdream) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 01:54 pm: Edit

Can anyone recommend a nice hotel near Amherst?
We will be visitiong Amherst this coming Saturday and plan on spenidng Friday night in Amherst. Thus far, I haven't been able to find anything appealing. I am trying to avoid the B&Bs because I will have my 17 y/o and 6y/o with me...and I think a more traditional hotel/motel atmosphere will suit them better.

By Backhandgrip (Backhandgrip) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 03:29 pm: Edit

Finally I can be of some help to someone.
Well, we stayed at the Allen House which was very beautiful but there is a Howard Johnson's on the main road.As I have the book right here in the bookcase the number is 413 586 0114- swimming pool and HBO 2 miles from UMASS. I don't knnow how it came to be but we stayed at The Inn at Northampton too, this place is fabulous for kids as it has unique architecture with a dramatic interior courtyard- windows which look down over an indoor pool- kids love it, mine did.No noticable noise.It was really very nice.Northampton has many very unique craft shops too.I think it is one of the next towns down the road.

By Backhandgrip (Backhandgrip) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 03:35 pm: Edit

The Allen House was a Victorian B&B.

By Momsdream (Momsdream) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 03:55 pm: Edit

I've seen you help with MUCH more than this Backhandgrip!

I'll have to check out the Inn at Northampton. Not sure about HJs. I'm ok wiht it...but my son is kind of a hotel snob (I know, this is about college and not the fine art of travel...) I'm afraid that a bad hotel experience will translate to him having a bad impression of the associated college.....sound crazy? I know...it's a psychological thing.

I liken it to my dislike for peaches..as the taste reminds me of a bad Peach Schnapps experience from my early 20s.

I'm definitely going to check out the Northampton Inn...thanks!

By Backhandgrip (Backhandgrip) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 04:04 pm: Edit

I know, nothing worse than a bad hotel experience.

The Northampton Inn. I vowed never to have a room near the pool but in this case we were on the 5th floor and it really was rather interesting and not noisy.I would ask for a higher floor- makes me think of the scene in High Anxiety, Mel Brooks clinging to walls as he went to his room! Not quite the same but interesting architecture.

By Mini (Mini) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 04:11 pm: Edit

I always get the two mixed up -- I think the Inn at Northampton is a Best Western, not bad, but... Hotel Northampton is a pretty amazing place (that is the one on King Street). You can eat at Wiggins Tavern, which is reassembled from an 18th Century inn in Hancock (I think), and is generally speaking a fun place. Distance between Northampton and Amherst is very small (5-7 miles? something like that.)

There is also the Lord Jeffrey Inn (I'm offended by the name - Jeffrey Amherst was a really despicable character, and the College is named after the town, not the man -- though they still keep the mascot -- can you imagine a college with sports teams called the "Eichmann's"? or staying at the "Goebbel's Hotel"??) -- I've never stayed there, and, as I remember, it isn't right in town, so Hotel Northampton might be more fun for walking around.

By Cama (Cama) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 04:32 pm: Edit

There is a rally nice relatively new Holiday Inn. The other town you should check for hotels is Hadley.

By Robyrm (Robyrm) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 07:55 pm: Edit

We stayed at the University Lodge. 345 North Pleasant in Amherst. 413-256-8111. Just on the edge of downtown, walking distance to restaurants, and very quick drive to school(s). Clean, cinderblocky rooms, but fine. It was a bit hard to find. Call them for directions. It was reasonably priced c/w options

By Cangel (Cangel) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 08:15 pm: Edit

Robyrm - University Lodge is NOT within walking distance of the school - yes/no.

Also, all you NE'ers - what is the likelihood of snow in mid-Oct in Amherst? Sorry for such a silly question, but I haven't driven in snow in years.

By Mini (Mini) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 08:17 pm: Edit

Nope. Leaves. Gorgeous leaves. And it means that hotel rooms fill up FAST. Very fast. reserve soon!

By Robyrm (Robyrm) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 08:23 pm: Edit

Cangel,

It was not really in walking distance to the college but it was in walking distance to town for dinner..sorry for confusion

By Enjoyingthis (Enjoyingthis) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 06:59 am: Edit

I loved the Lord Jeff Inn in Amherst. Big rooms, old-fashioned elegance, lovely location. I left a jacket in the closet and was able to have them ship it home to me. As far as I'm concerned, it was about the only good part of having our son at Hampshire for a year!

By Marite (Marite) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 07:03 am: Edit

Mid-October: peak foliage viewing season. Reserve rooms asap!

By Backhandgrip (Backhandgrip) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 08:41 am: Edit

We also stayed at the Lord Jeff Inn once.Very elegant, beautiful bar, walking distance to the college.Sometimes in the summer they have plays in the garden/yard/courtyard- Gilbert and Sullivan when we were there. Northampton Inn is not a Best Western, but as we were there years ago it amy have changed.It is pretty nice.
MINI; SO what do you think of the girls gymnastics team? Do you know any of them? Guess your daughter was in the running for such a thing at one time.

By Mini (Mini) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 11:44 am: Edit

No! D. just turned 14, and isn't close to U.S. Olympic quality (and we doubt she will be - though for India, for which she'd qualify, that's another matter, but she doesn't seem interested.) If she's lucky, doesn't get injured, keeps going, and improves at current trajectory, we are talking top 100 maybe, not top 10. Never know, though.

Wife and younger d. were glued to the tv set for the gymnastics. They both agreed that the U.S. was good, but that the Romanians were sensational (if anything, underscored). Much of it had to do with degree of difficulty, about which I know absolutely nothing (climbing up on a beam seems difficult to me.) Several of the Chinese gymnasts looked about age 10.

I'm all confused about which is the Hotel Northampton and which is the Northampton Inn, and whether they are the same thing. The one I'm thinking of is the one with Wiggins Tavern in it on King Street.

By Cangel (Cangel) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 11:51 am: Edit

Sorry for hijacking, what would you recommend for amusement with at least half a day in Amherst and a whole day in Hanover,NH? The offspring is coming back for overnights, class visits and interview, we visited both in the summer. I was planning to repeat the tours, because I thought I might learn something with school being in session, BUT, shopping and museums can always distract me! Has anyone been to the Shaker museum close to Hanover? I had already thought about exploring Northampton.

By Backhandgrip (Backhandgrip) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 02:31 pm: Edit

Nothampton has many shops with local crafted items- glass, etc. There is a Revolutionary Era museum in Amherst which is in a very old 18th c. house. They have an original Revolutionary War uniform, I never knew the epilets were brass, and the wool was SO thick.It was worth the visit for me.Imagine you can find literature about it at your motel/hotel.I would enjoy the Shaker Museum.We tried the local antique shops, junk -what a waste of time!No 18th c..We also visited Emily Dickinson's home which is within walking distance .
Mini;How about that.Your daughter is very courageous to participate in such a demanding (and dangerous) sport. Yes, the Romanians were great but I'm partial to the U.S.A.!

By Marianne (Marianne) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 02:50 pm: Edit

Whatever the name of the old inn is which is right there on the town green in Amherst -- that's the place to stay if you can get rooms and it's in your price range.
I found a visit to Emily Dickinson's house and then a walk to her grave particularly moving. Through the years students have left small tokens of their appreciation on her grave.
There are a lot of geat ethnic places to eat in Northampton (not too far of a drive). While there you could walk through the Smith campus -- it's gorgeous.

By Backhandgrip (Backhandgrip) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 02:58 pm: Edit

Wait a minute, just to correct, we bought one of those old Conn. River Valley clocks, @1820 in an antique shop in Northampton.Very nice.

By Cangel (Cangel) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 03:14 pm: Edit

Just looking in a guide book at lunch - Hanover has a branch store of some sort of New Hampshire Craftsman's Guild - sounds interesting, does anyone know about them?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page