Carpenting for dorm room ?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: Carpenting for dorm room ?
By Angstridden (Angstridden) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 01:40 pm: Edit

I think we are going to spring for the carpeting offered to us by the school and delivered to room..new around $100. I cant really tell the colors from the chart..my thoughts are to go with beige..Other choices are navy, hunter, gray or light blue..Anyone seen the colors..the navy looks pretty but am afraid it may be super dark in real life.

By Clipper (Clipper) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 04:06 pm: Edit

I know I bought my first daughter carpeting from the same service. I think we got her the light blue - not the navy bc we figured anything dark would show all sorts of lint etc. The carpet lasted 2 years and then she threw it away when she went into an apartment. Beige is always good too bc it is neutral.

By Emmom (Emmom) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 05:24 pm: Edit

I'm pretty sure that I've seen all the colors and they are all fine and really warm up the look of the room. The tile flooring is cold and drab. The beige will show dirt and the dark colors will show lint. Go with what she likes, it makes little difference.

By Momoffour (Momoffour) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 06:04 pm: Edit

I asked my daughter's friend who attends UMD and she had the navy blue and was happy with it. I would worry that the beige would show too many spills.

By Nel (Nel) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 08:04 pm: Edit

Hello Angs... My DD is off to college in 2 weeks (gulp!), and we were able to get an 11x7 carpet piece at a Garage Sale for $5. And it was from the principal of her elementary school & he said he remembered her (hmmm). It is a Slate Blue color; I hoover-washed it twice & it is super thick, nice nap, & def better than dropping $100-130 for the school's carpet.
We also bought the ex-principals dorm frige for $30, so I think we made out, big time!
I agree with MomOfFour; i think beige would show too much spills, dirt, etc, unless maybe it's marbled or heathered or something like that. Our college, also had that Buy From Us 'service', so I saw the cost. Yikes! Too much for me. Good luck! =^..^=

By Angstridden (Angstridden) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 10:44 pm: Edit

hmmm maybe I best check k-mart first..
lucky you on the garage sale find!

anyone have ideas on where I can get a decent piece of carpet cheap..

By Pamvanw (Pamvanw) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 07:34 am: Edit

In our area you can get 5x8 dorm carpets for $20 at KMart, Giant (yes the grocery store), Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot. When we dropped of our kids at both UVA & Pitt there were carpet vendors on the corners who were charging $30. That method saves the hassle of transporting it.

By Angstridden (Angstridden) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 09:23 pm: Edit

Well I just spent several hours on a carpet search..looking for something close to 10x12..

I went to about 4 spots..Kmart ONLY had 5x8 too small..Ollies had some bigger ones but they were really sad looking...Home Depot had nice ones..not quite the size but close but they were $99! And bulky to move.
After all that I decided to buy the one through the school..

By Fendergirl (Fendergirl) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 11:22 pm: Edit

hi. i'm a student, but i saw this thread and i just wanted to say.. 10x12 seems really big for a carpet for a dorm room.. we always got size 6x9 for our dorm room, thats typically what the 100 dollar ones are that the school sells (can you say rip off...) you don't need the carpet to cover the entire room. just the center.. just trying to help ya save some money :)

By Angstridden (Angstridden) on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 08:53 am: Edit

Hmm thanks for your post..I guess I was getting the 10x12 cus thats what they recommended and were selling for the dorm..but then it WAS the carpet companies recommendation!!! LOL.

Sure looks bulky - at least the size did at home depot.

Got a color suggestion Fendergirl? the Carpet place did tell me the blue showed lint..I am tempted to get beige.

Have to order tomorrow at latest.

By Angstridden (Angstridden) on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 08:53 am: Edit

BTW the carpet co was selling the 10x12 ones.

By Fendergirl (Fendergirl) on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 10:48 am: Edit

do you know what size the dorm room is? my freshman year, my roommate and I both bought a 6x9 carpet and we laid them out next to each other, because we were like "Ohhh we'll carpet the whole room" and so it was like 12x18, and it was a pain in the butt because the carpets went under our beds and under our dressers and when we wanted to move our furniture and stuff, we had to move the carpet as well. my sophmore year we just had the one 6x9 and it laid nicely in the center of the room between the beds. i'm not exactly sure how 10x12 would have fit in our room.
but if your carpet company place reccomends that size, maybe the dorm rooms at that school are bigger and that would fit more appropriately.. i don't want to steer you in the wrong direction :)

as far as colors.. here goes.. freshman year we had greys, which was a nice neutral color, sophomre year we had dark blue, and you can see lint and whatnot on that color, but its not so bad if you vacumn it, my dorm had a vacumn cleaner that anyone could borrow. my junior year we had an apartment and we had a dark green one in my kitchen (6x9), a lighter green one in my living room (i believe it was a 12x12 i forget how big my living room was.. a dark purple one in me and my roommates bedroom, and a beigy one in my other two roommates room.. so we've basically had all the colors :)

if you want to see how the above mentioned sizes fit in them rooms i can gladly show you pictures..

By Angstridden (Angstridden) on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 03:12 pm: Edit

Thanks for your tips..given a choice then of grey , blue or beige which of those would you get..
She doesnt seem to like the grey..but the blue sounds linty but the beige may just get too dirty.
What do you think from your experience..I think she likes the idea of beige but not if its going to look like heck fast.

By Fendergirl (Fendergirl) on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 03:42 pm: Edit

i perfer darker colors because i can just vacumn stuff off of them.. whereas its harder to clean dirt off lighter colors, but that's just my personal opinion :)

here's a picture of the 12x12(i believe) in my living room.

http://www.chrisnlinz.com/apartment/viewfromdoor2.jpg

i believe this one here under my kitchen table is a 6x9.. it may be 5x8 though... you can't see all of it because of where the picture was taken from.

http://www.chrisnlinz.com/apartment/kitchen.jpg

for an example fo what carpet actually does for a room.. here's the same view before we put in the carpet :)

http://www.chrisnlinz.com/apartment/viewfromdoor.jpg

By Angstridden (Angstridden) on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 09:02 pm: Edit

You are so sweet to share this! Thanks!
AFter careful consideration we decided to go beige..she likes it best and what the heck its going be pitched in a few years anyway.

Thanks for being so kind to help.

By Fendergirl (Fendergirl) on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 09:46 pm: Edit

sure, need anything else just ask :)

By Rhonda63 (Rhonda63) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 03:55 pm: Edit

Angst -- i think the 12x10 carpet is meant for the entire room, so if your child has a roommate, she should check with her to make sure roomie is not bringing a rug herself. I suppose they could split the cost, but then there would be the issue of who takes the carpet at the end of the year.

If transporting a rug is an issue for you, however, this would be the way to go. In general I find that anything offered by the college is a bit of a rip-off (rug, fridge, etc).

By Angstridden (Angstridden) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 10:33 am: Edit

Thanks Rhonda,
Here roomie is bringing the fridge and suggested D. bring the rug. The rug is sized for the dorm. It is bulkie..wish I was doing fridge instead. PLUS a buddy told me the floors in most dorms are gross and need to be cleaned first.

What about MIRRORS..any thoughts on those. My D. said she wanted a long over door one..but they looked cheapie. College doesnt have them.

By Mom60 (Mom60) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 12:04 pm: Edit

Just an observation I have after reading several of these threads. I live not far from UCSB every year I notice that Linen's and Things, K Mart and Home Depot and Costco are well stock up for move-in day at UCSB. I know Linen's and Things devotes a large part of the parking lot to anything you could possibly need in a dorm. I know I have seen the carpets, mirrors and frigs and every sort of container possible. It sure seems to beat lugging the stuff from home. Then you also only buy what you need.

By Rhonda63 (Rhonda63) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 12:15 pm: Edit

Angst -- how big is the fridge her roommate is bringing? My D took her own small fridge and her roomie also brought her own. Worked better, IMO, because they each had their own fridge space. If the roommate is getting one of the larger fridges (taller) then they can probably share w/o any problems.

We found the dorm room to be quite clean at D's college. We certainly did not get out a mop and clean it! Roommate had brought 409 which she used on some surfaces, but that's about it.

D and roommate do want a mirror this year (they roomed together freshman year, too), but say they will buy one once they get there. I wouldn't worry about a mirror (or anything else) looking cheap, as long as it works!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page