I Feel More Anxious Reading CC Lately Because... - Part 2

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: I Feel More Anxious Reading CC Lately Because... - Part 2
By Sheeprun (Sheeprun) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 11:08 am: Edit

Continued from Part 1

By Emptynester (Emptynester) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 11:36 am: Edit

Marite: sincere abject apologies; not meaning any criticism whatsoever of your child! please believe that! and obviously mistakenly projecting onto you my own experiences. again sorry!

confession: mine do abhor group projects (unless they can pick the group members) and are very concerned with grades: earlier as a means to get into a *good* college and now because of concern re. grad programs. Now- hope they don't read that!LOL

"It actually takes a huge amount of skill and experience to explain things to non-experts" absolute agreement here and that was supposed to be my very off target point. Remember no intellectual powerhouse here! But I think there is just as much genius involved in the ability to explain the work to others as accomplishing the work in the first place-- perhaps though another sort of genius? I don't see everyone as even ever being capable of this: that unbalanced ability thing again that Robyrm and you have mentioned? It does seem to me a quality that may come with maturity and I hope my sons acquire it. I have tried to instill the idea it is a quality worth aspiring to. probably I just haven't yet reached that chpt in Sternberg that explains this whole issue.. LOL

By Marite (Marite) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 12:04 pm: Edit

I was not taking offence. So please do not feel the need to apologize.
My S went to an elementary school where grades were not emphasized. Report cards had long narratives. So I don't think anybody was concerned about grades. In high school, we have encouraged him to take challenging classes and not worry about grades, so he has that mindset. I am in general a supporter of group work, but only if the disparity among group members is not great. If that is the case, the whole group needs to work together to get things done rather than relying on one group member to do the whole job and copying from that member. Some time, my S would be so bothered that he'd do the research for another group member so that they could proceed. This happened a lot in 7/8 grades. These are the toughest grades to teach according to veteran teachers.

Great researchers do not always make great teachers. This is why many students prefer to go to LACs rather than research universities. Some very famous scholars can do both. When that happens, it can be exhilarating for the students. In many R&D departments, a challenge is to get the researchers to document what they do. They feel it slows them down to do so. If one of them should go on vacation or get sick, it can create real problems. These researchers are not born teachers.

By Dstark (Dstark) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 12:11 pm: Edit

Marite, don't you still have to do research at LACs? Don't you have to be published to become a full professor at a LAC?

By Emptynester (Emptynester) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 12:14 pm: Edit

Marite: good, sigh of relief- message boards are sometimes difficult to judge the tone.

"Great researchers do not always make great teachers."

Absolutely; but I would argue the greatest researchers are the greatest teachers; of course my definition of *greatest* may differ from yours. really have to go now LOL but hope you continue to post so there is something fun for me to read when I return. I am learning a lot here. Thanks!

By Marite (Marite) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 10:05 pm: Edit

Dstark:

At the top LACs, the quality of research by the faculty in the humanities and social sciences is equal to that found at top research universities. Where the difference may lie is in the natural sciences for which costly labs are necessary. The size of a LAC's endowment will have a strong impact on its ability to support cutting edge research by both faculty and students.
The point that has been made repeatedly, though, is that there is more emphasis on teaching at LACs, more interaction with faculty and less dependence, if any, on TAs. I would expect that teaching ability will play a more important role in tenure at LACs than at research universities.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page