Tell your kids to study whatever they want - Part 2

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: Tell your kids to study whatever they want - Part 2
By Sheeprun (Sheeprun) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 11:02 am: Edit

Continued from Part 1

By Dstark (Dstark) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 01:02 pm: Edit

An Article in the Wall Street Journal on Friday was titled "Wealth and Happiness Don't Necessarily Go Hand in Hand".
"Economic success falls short as a measure of well-being, in part becasue materialism can negatively influence well being, and also because it is possible to be happy without living a life of luxury", conclude Profs Deiner and Seligman. Profs Deiner and Seligman analyzed 150 studies.
Also it is unclear where money cause happiness or if happy people tend to make more money.
A rising GDP has not led to an increase in life satisfaction in the US, Japan, or much of Western Europe.
One reason, a rising economy just leads to rising aspirations.
Enough is never enough.

By Cheers (Cheers) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 04:27 pm: Edit

A rising economy also leads to traces of prozac in the water supply.

It is called status anxiety.

By Musicmom (Musicmom) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 07:13 pm: Edit

Susan-
I do hope you and the rest of Vermont survived the Phish goodbye.

Our son and 3 of his buddies, with tickets in hand, TRIED to get to the concert for a day and a half, with no success. I was far from keen on the idea in the first place since it's a trek from NJ with 4 inexperienced drivers in heavy rain. But it WAS the least of many even more half baked plans he has presented to us since reaching that horrible legally adult age of 18 in June.

I admit we were a bit disappointed that they were ultimately turned away from the concert site....too many cars stuck in the mud, abandoned, no hope of getting there.

They improvised nicely, making lemonade from the lemons. Called us Sat eve from the ferry over to Nantucket. One of their crew's parents have a house there and were apparrently OK with 4 MORE house guests!

And I thought I was anxious about our son moving 60 miles away to college next week!

Now I'll be happy if he materializes back here in time for a quick trip to Bed Bath Beyond for a towel or two.

By Backhandgrip (Backhandgrip) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 09:44 pm: Edit

I for one am very happy to live in the most prosperous nation in the world.One only has to put on the BBC news and see the most appalling conditions all over the world.And war does not end or start with the U.S.Wars have gone on since the dawn of man and if it isn't the war in Iraq then it is one tribe obliterating another tribe somewhere.
All this talk of 'status' and being 'well off'. It all just comes down to the same thing- being able to feed and cloth and keep warm our families and we have that here and so many do not.

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 10:14 am: Edit

Hi Musicmom....well it was a big weekend in Vermont that is for sure. As you know, the site of the Phish concert was so muddy from the constant rain that they could not accommodate the thousands of cars. I know about the turning away of ticketed fans. But did you know that thousands still went but left their cars by the side of an interstate or parked on residential lawns of those who offered and walked miles into the site?? Nutso but many many did. My family was not involved. But this was a traffic thing in that part of the state (I don't live there and it is quite remote and I have been there) in a state where there is no traffic or crowds. I think they had about 70,000 people there and it is taking a while to get them all out. Yesterday my daughter told me she was short staffed at her day job at a resort where she is on the staff of a summer day camp program for kids because some of the other counselors (all college kids older than herself who attend school in VT but are from out of state and the resort is putting them up for summer but my kid is local) either were not back from Phish yet or were recovering!

In today's paper, one sad story is that they found a young man dead in a tent who had no ID on him and it appeared it could be from drugs but they don't know yet. Also a couple died in a car crash enroute to the concert. Otherwise, it sounded like fun (but muddy) for those into Phish.

My daughter had tried to get Trey Anastasio as the graduation speaker at her high school but he was not available and she got our only Congressman instead. I am sure you know Phish is from Vermont. Trey Anastasio has done some work with the Vermont Youth Orchestra, which several of my D's friends are in. He has conducted them and has written a piece for them. He will be going with them to Carnegie Hall next month.

Sorry your son did not make it in but sounds like he had fun regardless. My kids have never been to anything like that. I have been to a Dead concert though myself, years ago. This event was way more massive. And certainly massive for a place like VT.

Susan

By Achat (Achat) on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 10:20 am: Edit

BHG, you hit the nail in the head! You are so right. And all you need to do is go to a third world country to see what people think is enough to raise children and to be all right. It is considerably less than what we are used to. Considerably.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page