Question for Soozie

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: Question for Soozie
By 1moremom (1moremom) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 04:58 pm: Edit

I see PSU is on D2's list. Did D1 consider it? It appears there is a possibility of earning a B.S. in Arch Studies and then (at the department's discretion) staying one more year and earning a B. Arch. Did you see this option at other schools? Thanks for any info.

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 05:29 pm: Edit

1moremom...My older D would not have considered Penn State. Nothing against Penn State, mind you, as obviously my second child has it on her list because it has the program she wants (not so much cause she is dying for that college), plus my niece is about to enter her first year at Penn State and it was one of HER first choices and she is very excited. My older one was looking at more selective schools as well as would not have wanted a college that large, nor that location. So, she never looked into it and I don't know the specifics of their architecture offerings. However, that option you described above is quite a neat one. I am not sure who else has that but MAYBE (but please check) Washington University in St. Louis might. My daughter did not want to look there as she wanted east coast and ski teams and nada in that school's case!

What I HAVE seen which is a little different than you just mentioned (do you have a kid interested in Architecture by the way?)....is that at some schools with both undergraduate AND graduate programs in Architecture, such as Yale, students after junior year could apply to be in the graduate program (my mind is drawing a blank as to how this was termed) so that their senior year counted toward the graduate MArch degree program at that same university. I recall this at Yale, MAYBE at Penn as well or Princeton, but definitely at Yale.

Sorry to not be too much more helpful but that is what I know of the schools she looked at.

Susan

By Achat (Achat) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 05:40 pm: Edit

Susan, did you and your family start the search for your daughter's college in the fall of junior year or spring of junior year. How did your family manage to go so many times to these schools? Because I remember you saying that she applied to about 9. It does add up. Let's say one overnight per college...even that is a lot of days. Just asking for someone else's kid.

By Achat (Achat) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 05:45 pm: Edit

Also, did you visit any other schools than the 9? Did you guys take take turns to drop her off?

Sorry, many questions. I have a friend whose daughter is a rising junior.

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 05:54 pm: Edit

Achat, I will get back to you later, just read you post but cannot stay online. I get the issues, believe me...as I am at this point now with the second child and the distances and money and time involved is a dilemma. Back to you later...
Susan

By Achat (Achat) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 05:57 pm: Edit

Sure, no problem. Take your time. :-)

Do have more questions, though. How did your daughter establish contact with the professors.
Were they helpful to her? I mean did they reply back?

By Marite (Marite) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 06:03 pm: Edit

Achat:

Not Soozie, but I can comment on profs from my S's perspective. He and we looked at the departments he was interested in and contacted the director of undergraduate studies to make appointment. In his email, he described his preparation and his interest. In all cases but one, the profs replied and invited him to come during their office hours. They were very kind and helpful. As I've mentioned elsewhere, upon his return home, my S emailed his thanks to the profs. A couple wrote back with further advice. Only in one case did the DUS never reply to my S, and when we showed up, he was not there (no sign of regular office hours on his website, either). A prospective student could also contact individual profs and make an appointment to see him or her besides the DUS.

By Achat (Achat) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 06:12 pm: Edit

Thanks, Marite. I guess the Director of Undergraduate studies would be listed on the college's website.

It is a bit daunting for 17 year olds (or 16) to do that. Thanks again.

By Marite (Marite) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 06:41 pm: Edit

Achat:

Well, our S had lots of help from us. The student should go to the individual department to find out who the DUS is. If the name is not listed, there should probably be some other contact person. Also take a look at some of the course offerings and look up the name of the prof who teaches the course the student is interested in. Our S sat in one class at each place. My S sat in one class taught by the DUS of the department after talking for quite a while to the DUS. In his thank you email, he wrote to the prof he'd gotten a bit lost halfway through the lecture. The prof very kindly wrote back that he thought he'd gone through the material a bit too quickly. It was really sweet since this was an advanced class in a subject that my S had not yet studied (and it was toward the end of the semester), so he was bound to be lost.
Tell your friend profs are probably parents, too!

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 09:04 pm: Edit

Hi again, Achat. I will work in reverse order since Marite just was discussing your second set of questions. My daughter's experience with professors was very similar to what Marite related.

What my D did was prior to each visit, we tried to piece together the visit. I likely called during the day to get the tour and info. session reservations. Then she looked online in her field of interest and found either the department head of her major or a professor in her major to write an email to and inquire if he/she would be willing to meet when she was on campus. She wrote pretty much along the lines of what Marite's son did...introduced herself, a little background of what she had done so far in this field, what she was hoping to do, what was appealing about the department at this particular college and then asking if they might get together on campus when she would be visiting and gave the times she could meet. Each person always wrote back and agreed to set something up. If once or twice the person could not or was not the right person, they referred her to someone else. When we did second visits to top choices, she tried to also observe a class (might be with different professor than the one she met with) and for that, she looked online to find what classes in her intended major met when she would be there and then wrote that professor to ask permission ahead of time. Often that professor might chat for a moment with her after class in fact. As Marite wrote, after the visit, she followed up with a very specific thank you note and mentioned some things that were appealing about the department, referred to something in their chat, showed her enthusiasm, and stuff like that. She did similar things with other appointments...such as coaches, dance faculty, host student if an overnight, student from our community who attends who she would arrange to meet on campus, kids in the sports club team she was interested in, and so forth. The visits entailed these various components. Every person was always willing to meet, be it a student, or faculty member. Each was followed up with emails. She did not contact Dean of Undergraduates like Marite's son as I had not thought of that but just found the professors' names online and the contact information that way. Or maybe in a couple instances, we called the department and asked who to contact. Basically there was a lot of correspondence prior to the visits to line up things to make the most of the visits.

I understand how you are saying that it is hard for a 17 year old to initiate this sort of thing. But as a parent, you can help them through this. First, you gotta just guide them to what they would need to do. Talk about what is the kind of thing to put in such a letter. Ask the child to write a draft of such a letter and then proof/edit it if there is something about it that could be improved....they get better at it by the time they have done several along these lines. So, the child is doing the work but you are guiding them to make up the plan, execute it and then be supportive to check it before they push "send". As time goes on, they are more apt to do more of it with less assistance. My child was good about doing any of this but liked the support/guidance of setting up plans of what needs to be done and then checking stuff over after she did them. I realize all kids would differ in this respect. But remember, in another year, they are going to be at college and need to approach a professor with no mom or dad there to guide the way! And let your student know that kids like mine or Marite's (and plenty of others) approached professors and other staff and students to meet on their visits and in my kid's case even approached students spontaneously on campus to ask questions, that in every instance, the other folks were MORE than willing to be helpful and give of their time. So, your student should know that the other end of the line/mail is usually very receptive to these polite, mature, enthusiastic inquiries.

Ok, to answer your questions regarding the visits. I will share what I did with the first daughter as her timeline felt pretty ideal to me (not that it was easy!!! but it was thought out with enough time allotted over the course of the entire admissions process). We began the college search as she started 11th grade. We got her those big directories of colleges, three different ones, for her sixteenth birthday which was the first day of school as well. She developed a list of criteria, then got to work identifiying reaches, matches and safeties. She made a big spread sheet of information on each and how each met her own criteria. There were 30 schools on her initial list she shared with me. She knew it then had to be wittled down to a reasonable amount to visit as our goal was to visit her college list by the end of junior year. I don't like visits in summer because they are not in session (better than nothing but not ideal in my view), plus she was away in summer. Because her schedule is JAM packed 24/7, we decided to take out the calendar and look at the next 8 months and figure out when we could visit ANY schools, not even sure which ones yet. There was planning around sports events, you name it. And there was the issue of missed days of school. The expense is a major issue, as you mentioned! One thing that HELPED for us, but nothing we ever made her do....is that she wanted to stay on the upper half of the east coast. This meant that all of her schools were in driving distance. The furthest was seven hours away. One was further but eventually came off the list before we visited. So, I did not have the cost of airfare! (but will with the second child). And because none were super duper far away, it did not mean these week long college trips that many on this forum have done. Instead, we either visited just ONE school, or TWO. I can think of only one trip that had three schools, but two of the schools were five miles apart in that instance. So, each trip involved either ONE or TWO nights at a hotel. We spent a full day at each school.

I was the one who did the trips with my daughter. My hubby would not be able to take all this time from work and one parent had to stay back with the other kid cause of school and to take her to all her activities (did most visits on weekdays). The first trip my D did was without me, however. My girls had flown to visit my parents in South Jersey on a long weekend in Oct, and since they live one hour from Princeton and that was one of her schools, I asked my Dad if he could take her there for the day and that visit was the one without me and was fruitful, though did not have individual appointments. On the first trip with me, which was in November of junior year, she had not fully narrowed her list down yet but we felt we had to do one trip then because it was a long weekend at our school. At that time, she was contemplating either engineering or architecture. Actually this trip helped her to narrow the focus to architecture so it was worth it for that. That trip was the one that had three colleges....Tufts, Harvard, and Brown. While she liked Harvard (what not to like, lol), she ended up eliminating it because she decided on architecture, not engineering and they do not have that as an undergraduate major.

So, her original list of thirty schools was now narrowed to nine to visit at that juncture, as she limitted the list to schools on her list with architecture. That really helped narrow the list!

I recall a one night, one college trip in Jan. to see Cornell on Martin Luther King day. It was FREEZING that day. She liked it but eventually eliminated Cornell because she decided against a five yr. BArch program which is what they have. So, we were able to then knock one more school off the list BEFORE visiting, which was Carnegie Mellon, the only other school on her list with that degree program. In Feb., we did a two day, two night trip to Yale and Conn College. That time we stayed with friends of my other D's who live near New Haven, so no hotel expense. Actually, for that two night trip, we were on Feb. vacation but the friend near New Haven (who is HER best friend from summer program) who goes to private school was not on vacation and so my younger daughter came along and got to do stuff with her and attend her school one day! By the way, I felt like a travel agent all year cause the arrangements for each trip were so involved, plus her own end of it doing the emails to set some appointments up. In March, we did a two day two night trip to see Penn and Lehigh. I stayed both nights at my parents' house near Phila. but one night my D spent the night in the dorm at Penn cause she knew a girl from home who went there. Again, no hotel that trip.

So, by that time, we had covered the schools on her list. I am not counting Univ. of VT because she never did a visit there, even though she applied. She only applied cause she won a free ride there, but has seen the campus as we are in that city often, but she was not planning to attend. As the school year came to a close, she got interested in Smith which was not on her list all year as she was not going to look at womens' colleges. When she got interested in this school, we decided it was not too late but we would just visit that school in the fall of senior year.

I also promised that in fall of senior year, she could do a return visit to her two FIRST choice schools, to help her decide where to apply early if she wanted to apply early anywhere, and then do an overnight on campus and delve deeper such as classroom observations. So, in fall of senior year, she did overnights at Tufts and Yale, her first choices at that time, ultimately applying EA to Yale. For the Tufts visit, I had to stay in a hotel, even though she was in a dorm. Unlike the junior year visits, for these return visits, I was not as much a part of the visit. She went to appointments, classes, overnight hosts, etc. on her own and I joined her later in the day. In fact, I got to have lunch at Marite's that day when my D was at Tufts! On the original visits, I was with my daughter the whole time. On the return visit to Yale, again, we had those friends to stay with in that area.

Then she was set up to visit Smith with me as soon as we got back from Thanksgiving at my parents near Phila. My dad was dying all fall of her senior year. That really added to the entire pressure of the application season. She needed me and I was going back and forth to Phila. about every other week all fall. Can you say DRIVING a LOT???? When we were all down there over Thanksgiving, my dad seemed to take a turn for the worse, and I chose to not go home with my family at the end of the weekend. They drove back to VT and in fact, my dad died at home that night after they left. My husband and I did not want our daughter to miss her Smith visit as she had an overnight lined up with a local girl we know there and many appointments at that one school. My husband had agreed to miss work to take her instead. But then my dad died and they had to return all the way back to Phila. for the funeral. My mom put the funeral off for a couple days which enabled them not to cancel the Smith visit. They left VT, did the overnight and day long visit at Smith and continued onto Phila, the night before the funeral. The only thing about that trip was that my other daughter had to join them cause they could not go back to VT to get her before the funeral and so she had to miss more school. But it turned out she also was friends with the girl from home who goes to Smith and so she spent the night in the dorm too! Hubby had a hotel. So, that was the only other school I did not get to do with her.

I know you asked if we dropped her off anywhere. No, because of the long drive distances, it meant a parent going too. However, honestly I wanted to see the colleges too! And these visits were a great time just the two of us. I missed seeing Princeton and Smith though.

Then when the acceptances came in April of senior year, we told her she could attend the open house events for admitted students to a narrowed down list of schools she was thinking of going to at that point. She chose to return to Brown, Smith, and Tufts. So, I ended up getting to see Smith afterall! At Smith, I was able to stay with someone I know in Northampton. In these visits, I was not with my daughter barely at all as there were events for admitted students and different ones for their parents to do. And in most cases, I had already seen the school. Also she stayed with overnight hosts. I did have to do hotels for Brown/Tufts for myself. But those open houses were back to back and so that meant two nights, two schools.

Whew...I am tired recalling it all!

I now have the dilemma with the second kid about all this. She is graduating early so I am getting a later start with her than I feel is ideal. I liked the timeline I did with the first one (all first visits in junior year). This child only visited (last Feb.) one school so far on her list, albeit, her favorite and likely will apply ED there I think. We were to see two others via car last April but a schedule conflict arose at the last moment and she was out of the country actually and we had to cancel those visits. Now, I thought we would go to the other 7 schools on her list this fall, which is basically her senior year (was in tenth last year). It is hard to fit these in! She can only miss just so much school and also might be in a show (can't keep missing rehearsals) and so forth. You see what happens when you have to condense the visits over a shorter number of months! And some of her schools involve flights and this is going to be costly for me! On top of that, she must return to every school this winter to audition in person, which would mean two visits this year to these schools! We sat down last week with a calendar and it was nearly impossible to get all the first visits in this fall. So, she chose to only visit three more schools this fall, including her second favorite before making the committment on her ED school (where she has said she has wanted to go for many years now). So, she will have only seen four of her 8 schools. Then in winter, she will have to go to all 8 schools to audition. How we will fit it in, I am not sure. But many of the auditions are on weekends, and that should help a little. And, IF she ever got in ED, just think how much travel and money I could save, lol! That was her point actually!

Her situation is different than my other child's where you are really looking and deciding where to apply. With the younger child, there is just a smaller finite number of schools that have the program she is going for so her list is sort of made before we begin. While I thought she should see them all BEFORE she applies (even though it meant two trips each cause of returning for auditions in winter), she told me it is not like her list is going to change cause these are the schools that have what she needs. She has a point. She will obviously need to visit to decide where to attend if she is EVER so lucky to end up with a choice. So, she will get to see them all by the end of this process.

I have to say, this really shoots any vacation money I would normally have for fun, lol. Thus, this summer, my one week "couple" trip with hubby, was scaled back to camping at the beach on Cape Cod, not in the Caribean as in the past few years! I know the kids are worth it though! ;-)

So, that's my college visit saga! Believe it or not, I was visiting a college with my second child last Feb. before I was done with the first child's process! The overlap was a bit much for me!
Susan
PS, my hubby has yet to see Brown where my D is heading in a few weeks...but will when we take her!

By Achat (Achat) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 10:06 pm: Edit

Susan and Marite thanks a million!! I wanted to ask so I guess I finally did. I am going to ask my friend to read this.

Thanks SO much for taking the time to write. You guys are great!!

I guess both of you and your families were very methodical in their search. My friend has a daughter who will be applying to selective colleges, so she will gain from your insights.

By Marite (Marite) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 10:11 pm: Edit

Achat:

You're welcome. Our S's interests really set the parameters for college selection, so we did not have to do the kind of college tours some of the CC posters have undertaken. We made use of high school vacations in the spring. They seldom coincide with college breaks. Beware, though, that many colleges schedule few classes on Fridays. Good luck to your friend.

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 10:22 pm: Edit

You're welcome from my end as well. In my second child's case, the parameters for college selection are also pretty set cause she is going for BFA in musical theater.

But in the first one's case, I think she really looked into the colleges well enough to narrow the list to about nine schools or so to visit and so it was not like we looked at TONS of schools and she picked from those afterwards. She basically went to check out and explore fairly in depth the schools she already knew she was quite interested in. The only elimnated schools AFTER the visits, were Harvard and Cornell but neither due to not caring for them but rather not having the programs she ended up deciding afterwards that she wanted to focus on, though these visits helped her to solidify that as well as she was able to explore these other study options. So, her visit experience was not as similar to some I read on the forums where they visit many many schools and reject many and so forth. That is a good approach too, but simply was not what hers was like. She basically visited schools she felt pretty strongly she would like. The visits maybe made her have favorites and less favorites but she liked them all. That's more of what I would say it was like for her. It helped her decide where to apply early too. And the return visits after acceptances were very useful in the decision of where to matriculate. A single visit to where you might matriculate is ok but the second visit and overnight, particularly at the event day for admitted students really helped!

Good luck to your friend! And yes, there is a "method" to this madness and ya gotta be organized and have some sort of timeline for it all. My second child has developed her timeline for the next few months as our plan of attack and is working on some aspects right now. I think having a timeline of what you want to do and when helps it seem less daunting as you have a plan.

Susan

By Achat (Achat) on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 08:08 am: Edit

Thanks again, Susan and Marite. And Susan, I have to say, I really admire your family for going thru a tough time at the same time as applying to colleges. It must have been very very stressful. You dad would be very proud.

For my son we sort of stumbled on to things and did not do as methodical a search. Going back, he thinks he should have visited Amherst, Wesleyan and Haverford and Tufts and applied to these. Ah well, he is happy though. But we were not as well informed as this and did not even know to approach professors or deans. The college admissions process has become so sophisticated that only long term preparation will help parents and students.

My friend is at work here, I will ask him to see this.

By Marianne (Marianne) on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 01:55 pm: Edit

I would encourage people to hold off on visits with professors until they have narrowed down their list to schools they will definitely apply to. Professors use the summer break to get their own writing/research done, and if that gets interrupted by prospective applicants with no real interest in the school, it's unfair to the professors. And during the year they are usually juggling a million tasks. I suggest taking the tour/information session. If the schoool seems like a possibility, a lot can be learned about a department from reading the course catalogue, department website, and e-mailing the department chair. If, after these preliminary investigations, the school seems like one of the nine (or whatever) that will comprise the final list, then the prospective applicant should contact a profesor. The point is to be considerate of their time and balance that with the student's interest.

By Patient (Patient) on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 01:58 pm: Edit

Susan, Marite, Achat...I have loved reading this thread. It reminds me of some of the first posts I read when I came onto Parents Forum last Thanksgiving. Susan's stories about her dad, and the loving family that he created, will always be, for me, what this site was about. My "baby" (my oldest one) turned eighteen yesterday, and will be entering college next month. My little ones will be high school freshmen, and it is time for me to leave this place. I can't think of a better place to say good-bye than in this thread, where the focus is on finding places for your children to pursue their dreams, and where your generosity of spirit and solid reassurances are so evident.

Message boards change over time, and probably with the seasons, and this one has too. Thank you for reminding me how wonderful a guide it was to us last fall. My son has found his dream come true, and my heart is full for him. It is thanks to people like you, as well as thedad, Jamimom, Northstarmom, Rowan, Sluggbugg, Mikesdad, Sac, Tsdad, Enjoyingthis, Caseyatthebat, and so many others that the process was made so nice. It was a great community. Thank you so much.

By Marite (Marite) on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 02:04 pm: Edit

Patient:

Belated Happy Birthday to your S! Good luck to your oldest and your twins. What transitions!

By Marite (Marite) on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 02:21 pm: Edit

Marianne makes good points about being mindful of profs' time constraints. A lot can indeed be gleaned from websites; and if a student does not feel s/he has specific questions to ask and would feel awkward talking to a prof, it's better to skip that part. It won't affect chances of admission one way or the other as I doubt that many profs take the trouble to inform adcoms about prospective students' visits.
We only scheduled appointments during profs' office hours. It's no secret that few undergrads actually come to the profs' office hours. During the entire time my S spent in profs' office, no one came to their door or loitered outside, waiting for his or her turn. One prof took my S to the departmental tea after chatting with him and showing him around the whole department. During chats with DUS, my S found some very useful information, such as the likelihood of research opportunities during term time and in the summer. These varied considerably from college to college. This information will be an important factor in his decision.
But again, for any talk with a prof to be helpful, it is important to study the catalog, check office hours, and know that enrolled students have priority over prospective ones.

By 1moremom (1moremom) on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 02:22 pm: Edit

Thanks, Soozie. My rising senior is a math kid. He has a relatively short list of schools and has spent at least a little time on each of the campuses, though not as part of his college search. He will probably wait and visit again after he sees where he's been accepted, unless he can't decide where to send his EA application. My aspiring architect will be a sophomore this year. He will be looking at less competitive schools. I think there will be more to sort through, and now he is considering industrial design, in addition to the BS/BArch question. A lot to think about; it will help to start early.

Marite- I'll be emailing you a question momentarily. :-)

By Achat (Achat) on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 02:27 pm: Edit

Patient, I agree! Some of the people you mentioned (Susan, Marite, Northstarmom, theDad, Jamimom) are great! I don't mean to leave anyone out...

And Happy Birthday to your son!

I wish I had discovered CC earlier for my son's sake. This site has been a goldmine of information for my family.

Marianne and Marite, I will tell my friend about the prof visit part. His kid is interested in BioChem but should be sure of her choices before she approaches a professor.

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 04:25 pm: Edit

Achat, hi again. You are right that the admissions process has become more involving than ever before, particularly when you are dealing with selective colleges. But I want to add that the talking with professors and the visits to the schools was not for the purpose for any admissions "edge" in our minds. It was simply for my own daughter's benefit to explore the colleges and find the right choices for her. So, that was our outlook in that regard. It is not like you HAVE to do these things to get in, but rather she did them because this was a big decision in her life.

Yes, last fall was very rough. It was rough just going through my dad dying even without college admissions. But the timing did make it all very stressful as I left home a lot, leaving hubby and kids, something I really never did before. They managed fine. My older D also drives. But I also was her support person through the whole college process. She, too, was so busy with schoolwork and a demanding time consuming EC life, that it was hard to even fit in college app stuff and then I was not always there to help/support. But each time I left town to go to my parents' house seven hours away, she and I would talk of which step she might work on in my absence and she would either show me when I returned or email me stuff at my parents' house. It all worked out. It was a lot of travel on my part as we did those two return visits to Yale and Tufts in fall as well.

I do think about my dad every single day and I still am very very sad about it all. He was SO into his six grandchildren. The two oldest were seniors in high school when he died. He kept telling me he was going to miss seeing all six graduate. He worried so much if my niece was going to get into her colleges as she was a good student but not at the level of my daughter in school and after he died, she got into her first choice school, Penn State, which my dad thought might not happen and he would be very glad about this. Then with my daughter, one of the last things he said the day before he died when conscious, but getting confused that day, (fell into a sleep his last day), was asking me if she heard from Yale EA yet, though it was a couple weeks before she was to hear. I wish I could tell him she is going to Brown and he'd be proud. My brother went to Brown and I know my dad was always proud of that. And he was missed at her graduation, never got to see her speech, etc. Life goes on but at least he saw them grow up and left his legacy on them. I guess if I got through that admissions season with all that going on, I can get through this one, right?

Susan

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 04:41 pm: Edit

The post I just posted above was written this morning after Achat's early morning post. When I went to post it, the site was "disabled". I have been gone all day and when I came home, I had left my post on the screen and then just pushed "post". NOW, I see that there were many posts written in the interim so mine is more of a reply to one way back this morning!

In the meantime....to PATIENT...yikes, I'm gonna miss you! I understand that you now will have a lull in this whole college stuff in your family and can't blame you for taking a breather (well, we know you will still be busy with kids' stuff but not THIS kind of stuff!). I was hoping that everyone who has been on here the past year or two (for me, two years) and saw one another through the college process, would hang til the fall to hear the follow up of how your kids liked the whole deal after all! Maybe you can come back for a check-in in a couple months??? And also in the coming few weeks when we as parents go through this big step of breaking the apron strings and our kids venturing out on their own! It will never be the same again. My D turns 18 in two weeks also! We leave to take her on Aug. 31 so am not really up to the "leaving home" part YET. I have valued your input, sharing and friendship! By the time you are ready with your next kids, I will be DONE! Come back for a quickie visit this fall, please! In the meantime, all the best to your family.

Marianne, I agree with your advice on the professor visits. In my D's case, we visited the schools she was going to apply to almost exclusively. The only professors she met with were where she was applying. She had it pretty narrowed down to her list before the visits were made. In two cases, she did not meet with the professors til her return second visit. Also none were in summer time. But you are right in what you posted. Also, Marite's advice is right on as well that nobody should meet with a professor unless one has already researched the school and the department a bit ahead of time. But as her son had, we also had some who went out of their way, and many were department heads. They met for a while and also toured the studio spaces and stuff like that.

1moremom....ok, so now I understand it is your younger son. But it is always good to look ahead and learn about the next steps looming. Penn State might be a good choice for your son. I did not look as extensively at schools that were not as selective with my child who is looking to be an architect. But one of her safety schools might be good for your son and in fact, I was very very impressed with the department there, and we met with the head of it...that is at Lehigh.

Susan

By Marianne (Marianne) on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 05:03 pm: Edit

Marite,

Good point about visiting with profs during office hours.

By 1moremom (1moremom) on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 05:20 pm: Edit

Susan, Thanks for the recommendation. My husband is an engineering prof and holds Lehigh in high regard. If anything else comes to mind, please let me know. Have a safe trip to Providence. My mom went to RISD many years ago and still has a warm spot in her heart for the town.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page