International views

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: International views
By Marc_Posth (Marc_Posth) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 04:31 pm: Edit

Looking at an investment banking point of view where a degree is very important for landing a job, how about international opportunities for this line of work?

Does the college still matter?

For example, graduating from a top LAC and then seeking for an IB job, say in Singapore, will it be easy to get a good job, or will it be smarter to get work experience from NY, move on to get a graduate degree, then go at the international level.

From my point of view, i'm aiming at Williams for undergrad, but will be interested in going to Singapore to work, but i'm in the dilemma of how good job placements are for Williams on the international level and would it be smarter to get experience and a graduate degree first.

Thx for all the opinions.

By Marite (Marite) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 04:52 pm: Edit

I don't know about Williams' record of job placement in Singapore, but UMich has an international business program that has very good links to Southeast Asia. Perhaps Alexandre can shed more light?

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 05:07 pm: Edit

Internationally, LACs do not have much of a reputation, nor do many of the great research universities. For example, Boston University and George Washington University are more renowned than say Duke or Yale in most international circles.

But if you are looking to work for a US firm internationally (like JP Morgan Chase or Goldman Sachs, then I am pretty certain that Williams will be well reputed and you will not have much of a problem.

It also depends where you wish to work. For example, in Western Europe and Asia, universities with strong Engineering programs are usually more respected. So schools like Cornell, Cal, Michigan, Princeton, Caltech, Stanford, Columbia, Northwestern, MIT, Johns Hopkins and Harvard will be more reputable than schools like Duke, Dartmouth, Yale, Chicago and Brown because they have better schools of Engineering.

But like I said, if you wish to work for an American company , either in the US or abroad, Williams will serve you well.

By Marc_Posth (Marc_Posth) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 04:57 am: Edit

ok..thx a lot Alexandre.

I'm in Singapore right now and i'm really loving it here and i was just curious about job opportunities here from Williams. I'm sure that sort of information is hard to find...but when recruiters arrive at the college graduation, are they all from the U.S. to employ for the U.S. only? Or are their some on the international level?

Also, would it be smart to go to Singapore straight away from Williams graduation or will it be better to get work experience, then move on to graduate school before going?

By Cheers (Cheers) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 06:13 am: Edit

You might be able to research this from Singapore. See if you can find out which American companies have the largest number of ex-pat employees living in Singapore. Try the Immigration Office, the American Embassy or even the American Club.

I lived there for two years--and plan to visit on holiday in a few weeks--and most of the Americans living in Singapore were/are?? employed by American companies.

Possibly, the Singaporean government isn't keen to have American immigrants. I do know one woman who stayed on with her family for more than twenty five years. Still there in fact.

Okay, now let's talk serious business--what is your favorite Singapore restaurant?

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 06:41 am: Edit

Marc, the information you seek is nonexistent because in such situations, each case is handled differently. I can tell you that the odds of a company hiring a Frenchman on a US Campus to work in Singapore aren't that good, especially if you don't speak Malay or Cantonese/Mandarin)! LOL But one never knows. But don't worry about such insignificant details. Pick a school that fits your personality. Whether it is Williams or Wharton oe whatever school won't make a difference. they are all highly respected and you will be able to use that education to whatever end you desire.

By Robyrm (Robyrm) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 07:01 am: Edit

In addition to what Cheers and Alexandre have said, can I add that Singapore is an expensive posting for an expat, so U.S. companies, in particular, might not send employees fresh out of college. If you are interested in local employers, I would check and see what U.S. universities their employees attended. I think Prime Minister (now Senior Prime Minister) Goh might have attended Williams for a graduate program of some sort ((I was surprised when I read this)), so it might have unique name recognition in Singapore!

By Cheers (Cheers) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 07:37 pm: Edit

Actually, we met any number of bankers who were one to two years out of college and headed for Ivy league graduate schools. So, banks, at least, take younger ex-pats--but they didn't always give them super luxury accomodations.

The other young group were the journalists. Dow Jones and the Asian Wall Street journal had very young employees living in moderate circumstances.

The American Embassy is your best bet to start.

Then the American Club--they probably even have a newspaper. You might even stick in a classified ad with a Williams tag on it?? Never know....

By Marc_Posth (Marc_Posth) on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 03:59 am: Edit

All right, thanks a lot for all the opinions.

Would it be smart, that right after college graduation, to move to Singapore and seek a job there?
What i'm getting is that the only way to work in Singapore from an American Graduation is to gain work experience in the U.S., possibily move on to graduate school, and then work towards a transfer there... is this correct?

i'm really eager to start in Singapore as soon as possible and am wondering which colleges are well respected there for job positions in IB?

I have been asking around about which colleges are well respected for business an IB and many have stated Wharton and Stern as the principle ones (amongst other of course.) Wharton because of its joint program w/ a university in Singapore and somehow, Stern seems to be very well recognized.

Basically, i'm stuck between Williams, Wharton, and now Stern. Williams because of it's great grad school placement and everybody saying that a Masters is better than a bachelors, which is true, but the prospect of that large chunk of time going away towards education is dissuading. I'm also leaning towards Wharton because it is said that you do not need a Masters from there and thus the time factor isn't an issue...the only problem is that I doubt i'll get in. Finally Stern because of the location, reputation, internship, and experience. I'm torn between these 3 schools and I am trying to narrow them down to see which has the most influence in South East Asia.

could someone please help on my situation? Please. I know this is a long post but i'm in this huge dilemma!

Thx again for help and for reading this long post.

oh...as far as Singaporean food goes, it's the best in the world! Personally, I love Hawker Centres the best and go for the Chicken Rice, Char Kway Teow, Char Ta kway (classic dishes,) with Soya Milk or Sugar Cane Juice or sometimes SAtayy ARGH!! The food possibilities are endless Cheers!

I love it!

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 04:31 am: Edit

I don't think anybody can really give you any advice Marc. You have narrowed down your list of schools to three. Everybody faces that difficulty. Slashing the majority of the schools is easy. But once you get down to the last 2 or 3 schools, the decision becomes infernally complex. But you should not seek other people's input at this stage. It is time for you to make the decision. We aren't talking about three red apples either. We are talking about a cherry, a Pepsi and a steak! LOL So your decision should not be that difficult.

Anyway, you have 2 months to decide. For now, get your application forms and take your time to pick the right program.

By Marc_Posth (Marc_Posth) on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 06:31 am: Edit

yeah...lol. I know those schools are all extremely different, lol.

Looks like i'm going to have a hard time deciding these ones...thx for the help.

By Cheers (Cheers) on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 07:06 am: Edit

Of my two best friends from Singapore days, one is Malaysian Chinese who already had his degree from Oxford and LSE and the other, (American), had an undergrad from Yale, worked for Chase for three years in S'pore and then went to Harvard for her MBA. Those jobs are good stepping stones to grad schools.

But, my understanding of Singapore immigration law is that you must have a job before 'moving' there and that you are unlikely to be offered a job from a Singporean bank. You need an offer from an American or UK bank.

Have you found out which banks have the most expat employees in Singapore? You're there! That's worth more than any advice from CC! Get cracking! lol.

(Food: What about Banana Leaf Apollo? Or have your tried MINDEF? The Ministry of Defense canteen?)

By Mom101 (Mom101) on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 01:35 pm: Edit

Be aware the most will want you to get some experience at headquarters, often NYC. Then, in general, they want to send you where they want you, no necessarily where you want to go. You can easily be moved several times. Unless you have something unusual to offer them in a place, such as strong business connections or language skills, you won't have any guarantees.

By Lilyemerald (Lilyemerald) on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 02:24 pm: Edit

sorry, this has nothing to do with the initial post...
Yeah! Singaporean food is fantastic.. I'm sooo gonna miss it! But i'll be back! :)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page